Mac+Blender collada export/SL import issues

Jawdin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all, I have a little bit of tutorial and google searching overload so am after some help to get me over a bump I've hit in my workflow.

My goal: to create a rigged item of clothing.

Kit: I'm using:

• Blender version 2.72b
  • on a Mac running OSX Yosemite 10.10
  • My viewer is the SL Viewer 3.7.18 (295539) - although have tried Firestorm too.

What I've done so far:

1. Watched a tonne of tutorial videos on Youtube to learn the worklflow and the tools + scratching around on forums and google searches to fill in the gaps
  2. in blender created a simple mesh of my clothing item
  3. added the standard SL avatar and skeleton into the blender scene
  4. fitted my mesh item to the avatar
  5. removed the avatar, selected the mesh item in object mode and held shift to also select the armature
  6. clicked armature deform with automatic weights
  7. exported to collada - doing this I selected the SL+Open Sim Rigged option from the drop down
  8. imported the mesh into aditi ensuring that I ticked the Include Skin Weight checkbox on the upload option tab.

What the result is:

1. If I rez the mesh item on the ground, it looks perfectly rezzed, no issues.
  2. If I wear the mesh item, it attaches correctly - ie. on the right part of the avatar, and when I walk it is clear that the mesh item is rigged to my avatar.
  3. However, when wearing the mesh item, it is a bit mangled - some mesh parts are distorted and poke out in odd directions and has a long protrusion from the mesh item leading back to what I assume is the point of origin of the sim. Not smooth and structurally sound as I get when I rez it on the ground.

My suspicions:

• I suspect the issue is either with the integrity of the exported collada file from Blender (due to me using a Mac and there being some kind of issue) or
  • me doing something silly

I hope this is enough information to let someone give me some advice or a tip on what to try next. I'm really excited to keep on creating my clothes item but it seems like some of the steps that should be straight forward just don't work for me for some reason. Let me know if there is other key relevent info that would help with a diagnosis.

Thanks for any help my fellow creators can offer!

Jawdy.

ok so I solved my problem and just thought I would post what it was to help anyone who has similar issues even though I feel stupid about what it was :)

I didn't apply physics to my mesh as I was uploading. I didn't really understand what that tab was all about and it wasn't mentioned in the tutorials I was working through so as soon as I did that I'm all good!

I came very close to giving up but I'm glad I keep trying to work it out because I made it in the end :D

Happy creating guys!

Jawdin.

Hi Gaia!

I was referring to the SL viewer model upload tool when you upload there is the three tabs for LOD, physics and upload options. I wasn't doing all that was needed on the physics tab and it made my mesh mangled when it was uploaded into SL.

I was just doing the classic mBones for this item but now that I have got that working im going to try the fitted mesh with the collision volumes.

Oh here is another tip which took me a while to work out too for anyone searching the forums: if your UV isn't lining up as expected in world, make sure that you unwrapped it in blender before you exported the .dae file!

Happy creating, my meshy friends.

Jawdy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.