Drongle McMahon
Topics: 38
0 Kudos

Re: MAYA: Multiple Textures on 1 mesh

[ Edited ]

Reply to Chosen Few - view message

That test was done with Second Life 3.2.8 (248931) Feb  9 2012 09:04:17 (Second Life Release) = same as you. Very odd. I'm going to try one with more textures and will report here. What happens if you make a box prim and use the texture picking dropper tube to apply the mesh texture to it? Does it still not appear in directory?

Tested with two textures on both Aditi (as for first test) and Agni. In both cases I get the "<object_name>" sub-folder inside the "Textures" folder, and it contains two textures called "<object_name> - Texture 1" and "<object_name> - Texture 2"

Unless otherwise stated, any viewer-related information refers to the official LL viewer.
Honored Resident
Pepper Bohemian
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Reply to Betty Doyle - view message

"I just assumed that since you said you had combined your mesh, that you were working with a number of separate objects, instead of applying multiple materials to just one."

ooo I did this because first I wanted  to uv unwrap each object so I could have a 512x512 HQ texture for each piece. Then I combine in Maya

Honored Resident
Pepper Bohemian
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There are only two possibilities here, obviously. One is you're doing something wrong in Maya, and the other is you're doing something wrong in SL. Here's a quick overview of what you need to do in both programs. In Maya: 1. Go into component mode, select whichever polygons you want to share a given texture, and apply a material to the selection. 2. Deselect the previous selection, and now select whatever polygons you want to share a second texture, and apply another material to them. This MUST be a different material from which ever one you applied in step 1. 3. Repeat the process until all polygons have materials. You can have up to eight separate materials on any single mesh. 4. Export to COLLADA.

hi chosen, is it possible my problem is cause I have different UV maps for each set of polygons? but i thought that is the point of being able to have 8 different material per single mesh? so that we can have unique HQ textures on each set. I UV unwrapped each set of polygons and apply a new blinn for each set. I know that this part worked because when i am in Maya i can change material color on the blinn and it will change the color on only the polygons it was assigned to

Honored Resident
Pepper Bohemian
0 Kudos

Reply to Fluffy Sharkfin - view message

"I recommend using the FBX 2011.3.1 plugin (which can be found here), so far I haven't had any problems exporting DAE files directly from Maya (multiple materials, skin weights, joint offsets, etc. all seem to work just fine)."

tyy i download that

Honored Resident
Pepper Bohemian
0 Kudos

Reply to Pepper Bohemian - view message

hello everyone. Still, I can not get this to work. I am trying with a friend too and for both of us this will not work.

What more can i say about my situation to help you find my problem? i want to have 5 textures 512x512 with their own UV map texturing 5 different parts of my mesh object

I already unwrapped each 5 polygon areas to have their own UV map on 512x512. Then i added unique material to each of the 5 areas that have its own UV. it textures separately in maya but not so in sl?

Advisor
Chosen Few
0 Kudos

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble, Pepper.  If you'd care to post your scene file somewhere, I can take a quick look at it. 

Be sure to save it in .ma format, not .mb.  If it's .mb, I won't be able to open it, since I'm not using the same version of Maya as you.

"It's a big universe. Everything happens somewhere."
- The Doctor
Honored Resident
Pepper Bohemian
0 Kudos

thank you for your kindness!  I really hope we can resolve this issue

I will PM you with file link. tyvm!!

Honored Resident
Milla Michinaga
0 Kudos

Hi I was wondering if you found the solution to this problem? I'm having exactly the same issue as Pepper and it's driving me a little mad. I'm working in Maya 2013. Thanks
Honored Resident
Xenos Xenga
0 Kudos

I'm having similar problems. Befor going into details, did you guys manage to resolve this specific issue?