Language translation for product page

RipleyVonD

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Has anyone worked with translating their product page listing to other languages?

I noticed some SL residents posting very well translated messages from other countries, there are alot of free services to use but I don't trust them very much. I thought maybe someone could recommend a good service or page to use. Thanks.

I used to.  I would aim to solicit customers for whom it was their native language, while also being fluent in English.  I tried to get customers to help because some phrases just don't translate but if they are familiar with the product they are in the best position to use suitable words.

However, I stopped after a while, it was difficult to keep the translations up to date with product changes so now I just have my documentation on a website with a Google translate widget so that they can easily translate the page.  I agree that it's not perfect but it's up to date and is a more versatile option.

As for Marketplace, it's something that LL should look to doing, just another thing that's really not hard to do and would be more versatile and they could still keep the other options if they wanted to.

Other than that, I didn't get any real success from agencies for the reasons above and I did try someone who was native for the language but when someone else read it, they said it was full of grammar errors and other problems that steered me away from doing that anymore.

I sort of had the feeling it might be a bad idea because I just don't really know what the translation really sounds like. I imagine professional movie studios or book publishers that translate their work actually have the funds and hire trustworthy professional translators for their work. It sounded like it would get a little exhausting after a while just for the effort to be not really worth it, I thought I would at least ask and see.

Having a Google Translate widget on an external page sounds like a good idea, I might try that one day. Thanks Sassy. :smileyhappy:

P.S.

The new spellcheck is awesome

thanks LL. :smileyvery-happy:

Translating Tools are dumb( they are computers). A computrer is powerful but limited, mankind has a lot less power but no limits.

As consequence the only good  way to get proper multilanguage descriptions for your products would be finding  friends who speak quite fluent those other languages to write notecards for you,hence translators in many cases translate words but not concepts.

Anyway if this post was in general section, maybe some linden/s could see it easier and help better, if something could be done.

Astrid Kaufmat wrote:

Translating Tools are dumb( they are computers). A computrer is powerful but limited, mankind has a lot less power but no limits.

As consequence the only good  way to get proper multilanguage descriptions for your products would be finding  friends who speak quite fluent those other languages to write notecards for you,hence translators in many cases translate words but not concepts.

Anyway if this post was in general section, maybe some linden/s could see it easier and help better, if something could be done.

Yeah! Thats true, I was actually hoping someone would steer me away from that Idea, I didn't trust the software all that much. 

I can't see myself asking friends for translating my product pages, it seems so tedious and I tend to not like the idea of being a bothersome person.

@Perrie Juran

I spent a good ten minutes trying to figure out what Frank Zappas quote meant. lol I guess today is one of my slower days. :smileyvery-happy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.