LOD Issue

Carbon Philter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Trying to get my head round mesh LOD to lower Land Impact and have run into a difficulty and I would appreciate some advice.

I constructed a mesh, allocated materials to different faces, and then used the Decimate modifier in Blender to generate further models for the lower LOD slots in the upload dialog. High and Medium load ok but with Low I get a report that 'Levels of Detail have a different number of texturable faces' and can't go any further.

Other than being a bit less brutal in the degree of decimation used, which may not result in achieving suitably reduced LI, what if any is the best solution - do I edit each model in Blender and reallocate materials to faces to maintain same number? If so, is there an easy way to do it or is there any other solution to reducing the poly count neatly?

Thanks for any advice.

Carbon

The easiest way to meet the requirement would be to add a single triangle and put the missing material on it. You might find it more satisfactory to do the decimation yourself than to use the modifier. The Delete>Dissolve Edges (with Dissolve Vertices box checked) is your friend there, because it keeps the UV map intact. That way you can avoid deleting UV island seams, which can mess things up, and make sure you don't remove the last poly of any material. It all depends what the mesh is like. The Decimate modifier has been improved since I really used it much. So it probably works well for some meshes.

Both the decimate and limited dissolve functions in Blender are great tools for making the LOD models and vastly superior to the uploader's algorithm.

But even so, if you want to make really efficient mesh, you have to be prepared for some manual work. Find the switch points and figure out which details your mesh actually needs at those distances. Fortunately there are still some things humans can do better than computers and this is one of them. :matte-motes-smile:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.