Joint weighting issues

Driftwood Miles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi All

Have been scratching my head for too many hours on this issue so have decided to ask those with more experience than myself. I am trying to rig a pair of shoes (including blender sock) to the Standard Avatar Skeleton.I am using Maya 2013. I am successful in binding the 4 parts of the shoe using smooth bind with the whole skeleton selected. Where I run into problems is weighting the shoe just to the mKnee joint. When I do this the shoe, on import to second life, is stretched vertically. Not by much but noticeably. It is absolutely fine if I bring it in weighted just to the mAnkle joint, but that causes the shoe to pivot on the ankle during walk. Can anyone help ?? Please!

Hi Driftwood,
Go into Maya and make sure your mKnee joints ScaleX, ScaleY & ScaleZ are all set to 1.  If they are set to smaller like say .8 then when a mesh is brought into SL and worn the mesh would stretch.

I do have a question.  If your shoe isn't meant to bend why rig it at all?  Why not just let people attach the shoe.  If the shoe is Mod then your customers could resize it to fit their avatar.  Rigged mesh can't resize unless it is rigged to one or more of the Collision Bones.

Hope that helps. :)
Cathy

Hi there Cathy,

thanks for the reply, appreciated. Have checked the bone/joint lengths on skeleton and all are 1-1-1 so that does not seem to be the issue. Still giving me fits.I am certainly missing something and have no idea what. 

As to why rigging? There are three reasons. Firstly I want to offer both types of fitting (as seems to be more and more customary). Secondly because it makes for a much more accurate fit to the Standard Avatar sizes, which this will work with and thirdly I want to conquer rigging :matte-motes-big-grin:

Good for you wanting to master rigging. :)

I have a few thoughts on your issue with the shoes.  If you weight the shoes 100% to the mKnee joints when someone makes their avatar taller the shoes will rise up as the mKnee joints move up so your shoes will end up above the avatar's feet.

The other problem may be that the joint position of your mKnees may not be correct in Maya.  My mKneeLeft TranslateX = -0.000887, TranslateY = -0.045568 and TranslateZ = -0.49105299.  This is relative to the mHipLefts position.

If I create a Locator and snap it to the mKneeLeft position it reads TranslateX = 0.03287 , TranslateY = 0.08119699  and TranslateZ = 0.5349639.  This is the mKneeLeft's relative position to the exact center of the grid which is TranslateX = 0.0 , TranslateY = 0.0  and TranslateZ = 0.0

Your mPelivs should be at TranslateX = 0.0 , TranslateY = 0.0  and TranslateZ = 1.06701486.  Since this is the root joint it relative position is to the center of the grid.

A quick way of checking if it is a joint position is in the Mesh Upload window where you select the option to include skin weights also select Include Joint Positions.  If the shoe looks normal after upload and no stretching then it is a joint position problem.

Lastly it could be the viewer you are using to log into SL with.  If for some reason the avatar_skeleton.xml the viewer is using is inaccurate or corrupted it would distort any worn rigged mesh.  Try logging on with a different viewer.  If you are using a thrid party viewer log on with LL's default viewer.  If you using LL's viewer log on with Singularty or Firestorm viewer.

Can you take a screen shot of the shoes in Maya and SL?  Could be an illusion and the shoes arn't really being stretched just a distortion from the camera in SL.  I seen it happen myself and others have posted in the forums here where they thought their mesh was being distorted in SL when it really wasn't just an optical illusion from SL's camera when zooming in.

Hope that helps. :)
Cathy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.