Is it possible to have rigged mesh that is NOT fitted?

Lyle Maeterlinck

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm new to rigged / fitted mesh in SL, and I'm wondering if the following is possible:
to have a rigged mesh that moves with the bones of the avatar skeleton, but does NOT deform according to the appearance sliders. What I have is a hand / forearm attachment that should only be deformed by the forearm and hand bones. What I'm observing is that the part that moves with the forearm is getting deformed based on the arm length slider, and the size of the hand part depends on the hand size slider.

In my setup in Blender, I deleted all of the collision bones and collision bone vertex groups, and I'm sure the only two bones in the armature that are affecting the mesh are mWristRight and mElbowRight.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have non-changing prim size in a rigged mesh, and just have the SL skeleton change the position of the rigged parts? So, what I want is NOT fitted mesh, just rigged.

Even rigged things the "old" non fitmesh way still adjust with certain sliders (Mainly length, not bulk)

Its how the older "Standard sizing" was done. Just using the Mbones not the collision ones

I do not believe hand slider effects the standard rigging.

I hope that was any help, I am sure another more skilled person will be along to explain more than I can :)
I know what to do, but am pretty bad at expressing it at 12am..

http://i.imgur.com/lPMoa26.png

Rig to da blu nat de redz

I have the same problem than you, everytime i manage to rig a mesh it makes it fitted and not simple rigged.. on some mesh stuff it looks ok but on some others it looks deformed when the avatar moves :/ 

I am still new too to Blender and i am not sure but it's maybe because of the way you export it from Blender? Have you checked the right options? 

Maybe someone knows a tutorial on how to make a simple rigged mesh that is not fitted?

If I understood right, you want a mesh object that is rigged to mElbow and mWrist bones, so that mesh follows smoothly your hand and arm.

mWrist does not "deform as fitted mesh" the mesh but mElbow does. If you change the avatar arm lenght, the mesh with stretch according to that slider in mElbow area. You cannot avoid that.

I would say only way to avoid that is to use non-rigged mesh (as Gaia suggested earlier) and attach it to your hand or something.

Or: It might be possible to replace mElbow bone with exported joints and mSkull bone that is re-located in the arm..but I havent tested. mSkull should not stretch anything with slider. Might it work? Does anyone know?

(ETA: corrected lot of typos)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.