I am able to upload full body rigged mesh not able to upload piece of cloth rigged mesh

MW Boa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I use Maya. I managed to rig full body and upload it and it worked fine in SL. However when I rig a piece of cloth lets say a jacket or a skirt, "calculate weights" button disappears when I check skin weights. When I was rigging I selected each bone (all 26 of them) and applied smooth binding. 

Can you suggest any work around or solution to this problem?

Edit: I found the solution. On the smooth bind options window I unchecked "remove unused influences". That did the trick:)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Found the Max solution (Thanks Daniel!):

Open the troublesome DAE in a text editor and find the following string

<Name_array id="Line008Controller-Joints-array" count="26">

If the number is not 26 you need to add the names of the bones that aren't being used, after the ones already listed. Line008 was the name of my model so substitute the name of your mesh.

• 2 weeks later...

I did as was said, unselecting remove unused influences, and my button still disappears when I select the weighting option in SL upload.  Could someone give me a run down of what SHOULD be selected on the smooth bind options window?  Maybe one of my other settings is amiss...

This could be caused mainly because of a few things;

1- You are using a wrong size bones or wrong bones all together

2- your joint names are wrong. They should be something like mHip etc. They shouldn't have any other words in their name.

3- The most important thing you need to select each joint (each 25 of them) and in the binding menu you need to select "Selected Joints" not "Joint hierarchy". You select each of them (start selecting with low hierarchy and up and don't forget selecting toes, eyes and wrist joints) ~Then hit smooth binding or interactive binding.

If the button still disappears that means you forgot to select one or more of the joints.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

What I'm using only has 19 joints... Could this be the problem?  Could you direct me to a correct download if so?  I downloaded this avatar file that someone posted the link to here on the forums..

That would indeed be the error. The importer requires that there has to be information for all 26 bones, even if the information is "Zero Influence". a 19 Bone Skeleton is invalid.  I'll test the aboveskeleton to see if it works in Maya. But I suggest you need to usethat.

--Karl

Karl Reisman wrote:

What I'm using only has 19 joints... Could this be the problem?  Could you direct me to a correct download if so?  I downloaded this avatar file that someone posted the link to here on the forums..

That would indeed be the error. The importer requires that there has to be information for all 26 bones, even if the information is "Zero Influence". a 19 Bone Skeleton is invalid.  I'll test the aboveskeleton to see if it works in Maya. But I suggest you need to usethat.

--Karl

The SL skeleton consists of 26 bones of which 21 are essential (as of my understanding).  The weights for each bone are stored in vertex groups (weight groups). The list of essential bones is:

mHead

mNeck

mCollarRight

mCollarLeft

mShoulderRight

mShoulderLeft

mElbowRight

mElbowLeft

mWristRight

mWristLeft

mChest

mTorso

mPelvis

mHipRight

mHipLeft

mKneeRight

mKneeLeft

mAnkleRight

mAnkleLeft

mFootRight

mFootLeft

The bone names are identical with the weight group names.The weight groups must exist, but may be empty.

The weight groups for the remaining “non essential” bones can, but do not need to be included in the exported mesh:

mToeRight (weight group seems to be ignored )

mToeLeft (weight group seems to be ignored )

mEyeRight

mEyeLeft

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.