How to pack and export textured item from Blender 2.5 to Second Life

Lupo Ellison

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I imported succesfully any meshes in second life, but couldn't import these items textured. I (about) understood how to texture single faces in blender 2.5, then I tried with file > external data > pack into blend file to get a big file with item and textures.

Then after opening this file, I exported it in file .dae with the exporter collada inside blender but nothing. In the end I could export in Second Life these test meshes, nicely built, a buoy a small bridge and a half icosphere as cupola, but always without textures.

I tried to find tutorial about this texturing and import texturing items from Blender 2.5 to second life but found only something about 2.49.

So I ask here some suggestion here about what to do, or if you know about tutorials for this procedure.

Many thanks

Lupo

Did you unwrap your model ?

Also did you bake your textures in Blender or did you just assign already existing textures to your blender object ?

However you do not need to upload the textures for your object together with the object. You also can upload the textures separately and later edit your model in SL, then apply textures by dragging them from your inventory to the model's texture faces.

btw: you will always have at least one texture face on any mesh prim but you can have up to 8 of them per mesh prim.

I've successfully uploaded "non-rigged" mesh with the textures. Here's my workflow:

• Place the textures in the same folder with the .blend file
  • Then, when applying them in the texture tab, make sure "relative path" is clicked in the image browse window.
  • Save the .dae file to the same folder.

You should be able to upload the .dae file and automatically bring in the textures. As a side note, this won't work for a rigged mesh because the .dae exporter in Blender leaves out part of the text dealing with textures when exporting a rigged mesh. The code between <visual scene></visual scene> is missing in the rigged version to be exact. However, you can just upload the textures separately and apply them manually.

There are no problem in add the texture in SL and work on the setting in planar, but when I select the mesh in edit mode > select face, I have the whole mesh selected, so I couldn't, for example, add a single textures to a single face or to a group of faces. And each face needs obviously a different setting.

For me It would be easier and better to add texturing in Second Life, cause I have not less then 15000 textures in my inventory, but if the best way for a nice result to texture a mesh is to do it in Blender, I need to understand the right procedure.

In the end I did in this way: from the top heather of blender I choosed UV editing menu, then opened a 1024x1024 texture from my pc, then I assigned the texture to the faces with Unwrap menu, and see the results by viewing the item textured.

Then I choosed from the down heather UVs > export UV layout to file. Then I export the thing to SL and when I rezzed the test cube in Second Life the mesh was textured and with the layout I choosed on Blender.

Obviously I have to test this way with more than one texture, and with other shapes but now I'm at a better point. I'ts a beginning. Thanks for your help.

Lupo

• 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.