How come my joined objects won't rig with my main object? :(

Antumbra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a pair of shorts and I made pockets, belt holes, button, etc. and joined it with my pants and then when I try to attach to parent with automatic weights the only thing that has weights on it, is my pants, my pockets and everything else is just there and it ruins everything. Why is this?:(

Are you on Blender ? Then possibly you got the warning:

"bone heat weighting: failed to find solution for one or more bones"

If both is the case then your problem is that your joined mesh contains separated submeshes which intersect. This is a know problem of the bone heat calculation which gets into decision troubles in those cases.

What you can do to get this fixed:

• Either rework your mesh and make a clean topology.
  • Or rig the submeshes separately and after everything is weighted as you want and works as you want, then join the parts into one final mesh

No I didn't get any error when trying to rig it, and I tried to rig the submeshes seperatly and then join with my main mesh and it still won't work even if i didn't even join with my main mesh yet. for exmaple in the picture the little thing above the pants is automatically rigged but not yet joined with the pants, but it still will not move with the rig what so ever. It just stays in one spot even tho i've already rigged it. Why is this happening? :( I hope you understand my question >_< I just want my submeshes to move along with my rig and my pants >_<Untitled.png

Your image doesn't make any sense when compared to what you are saying, or maybe I'm just making assumptions I should not make. Your bones are blue, which to me indicates you are on the skinning bones, but your whole mesh is grey, which indicates to me that your object is not rigged at all.

To help you, we'll need to know much more, and see more images. You might want to explain exactly how you are joining the meshes and rigging them. Have you ever successfully rigged a mesh before, and uploaded it into SL?

No.... my bones are blue because it is in pose mode, and my mesh is grey because it's not in weight paint mode its in object mode.... and yes i have sucessfully rigged a mesh and uploaded a mesh on sl before just not with other things attached to it, and 1st I tried joining then trying to rig with automatic weights but that didn't work so then i tried to rig everything with automatic weights and then joined but the only thing that moved is the shorts not the details.... and that picture shows that when i try to move a bone the only thing that moves is the shorts, not the other mesh, even tho the other mesh was rigged with automatic weights also. I don't know how that doesn't compare to what I was saying..... My shorts move with the bones but my other meshes don't, but nvm... i think i found out the reason why.

Antumbra wrote:

No.... my bones are blue because it is in pose mode, and my mesh is grey because it's not in weight paint mode its in object mode.... and yes i have sucessfully rigged a mesh and uploaded a mesh on sl before just not with other things attached to it, and 1st I tried joining then trying to rig with automatic weights but that didn't work so then i tried to rig everything with automatic weights and then joined but the only thing that moved is the shorts not the details.... and that picture shows that when i try to move a bone the only thing that moves is the shorts, not the other mesh, even tho the other mesh was rigged with automatic weights also. I don't know how that doesn't compare to what I was saying..... My shorts move with the bones but my other meshes don't, but nvm... i think i found out the reason why.

Well, obviously, I'm mistaken. This doesn't clear up what you are saying tho. I asked that you explain exactly how you are doing these things, because what you are describing doesn't match what should happen. So, I can only deduce that you are doing some part of the process wrong. We can't help you if you say you are doing something but not actually doing that. We can only know if you describe exactly the process you are using, step by step. If you have found the reason why, I would urge you to explain it here.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.