Hovering above a mesh floor

Leland Maggs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am just replying ot this as I discovered a VERY bizarre thing in accordance with "hover height" , the thing we do to get our avatars closer to the floor for photos and maybe just because you like being ON the floor (I vote for that).

I was filming today, walking down a railroad track. I was hovering above it so I changed the hover height in the Edit Shape window. Feet looked good; right on the tracks (OK!).

I logged my alt in to film as I need to walk and get a low view. My feet looked FINE for me, but they were still floating for her. I even logged her out and back in again to see if she could see the difference. She could not. The filming turned out fine anyway but what a bizarre discovery!

I think it may be possibly due to errant vertices not being in EXACT alignment along the vertical axis. I've encountered the same issue many times in the past, and it was driving me crazy (I was making perfectly flat plane surfaces for floors, with loopcuts to create edges for faked AO repeat textures, varying floor panel UV rotations for texture efficiency etc). There would often be a vertice somewhere that simply refused to sit in precise Z-axis alignment (a tiny decimal point out), and SL would interpret this as thickness in the plane - hence the random hovering effect.

What I do these days (in Blender) is to go into EDIT MODE, select all the vertices in the plane surface, and then SCALE the Z-axis to ZERO (which forces every vertice into precise alignment). As far as I can tell, from my own experience at least, is that SL now treats the resultant plane mesh as perfectly flat (I use a perfectly flat 4-vertice plane mesh as the physics hull, flattened in the same manner - with the mesh object set to Prim Physics when it is rezzed in SL).

I've tested these mesh floor planes with SL shadows enabled, and cammed around my AV's feet, and at least from what I can tell, my feet are planted nicely on the floor. Note: Footwear styles, hover settings etc may vary other people's results.

I hope this helps solve the problems many seem to be having - It works for me, at least. :matte-motes-smile:

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.