Hexagon Help: Is this mesh okay or did I mess up?

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3351 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

SOOOOO Im learning to use Hexagon and trying to create a simple sofa. So far as I can tell I did okay with the bottom cushion but when I tried to make the more complicated arm I think I somehow goofed. 

When I had less lines just moving it from a smoothness os 0 to 1 was too much and the arm lost nearly all its definition. Since the sofa cushion had more lines it had more definition. so smarty pants me decided to add some lines. this Id done okay with the cushion but seems like it did not work so well on the arm. Because now when I put it on smooth some of the vertices or faces or whatever--they dont look right. 

Ill post some photos with this showing the arm on 0 smoothing and how the lines all look wrong when its got only a smoothing of 1 applied. Maybe there is nothing wrong with it but I always thought the lines needed to be more smooth than this and these look like they warp. I tried to "join" the lines around -- but that didnt work. Thinking I have to just start over.

If you dont know Hexagon and what the solution is please don't respond. Im seriously looking for hexagon help. Not interested in blender...blender sucks for visual folks like me. and I cant afford maya!

LOve hexagon...but Im still learning. My goal is to make a basic shape and then take the sofa into MUD to refine with some more "comfy" shaping and texturing...yep...Im learning mudbox too! :-) 

smoothing is set to 0

Smoothing is set to 1
bottom smoothing set to 0
Smoothing set to 1

Your jagged shapes come because you are subdividing (smoothing) polygons with more than four edges (n-gons). You can avoid that by making sure you have only quads (+ maybe a few triangles where you can't avoid them). In the meshes you show, you could achieve that by making new edges between appropriate pairs of vertices of the n-gons.

ngonsub.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the response. Do you know in Hexagon how I can connect points to repair the subdivisions or do I just need to start from scratch? I was able to join sone lines but it wont seem to work for everything. the program doesnt have good english documentation and all the wonderful videos I found show how to do things but not how to troubleshoot when something does not work.

Im thinking I have to start over.

Its okay. Your note still helped. I know there used to be a lot of hexagon users but I think many have gone over to blender which I find too bewildering at the moment. Ironically using hexagon is also helping me understand some things in blender.

I think for this one I might go back to step 1. export to OBJ. Import to blender which then creates some beauty subdivisions all on its own then resave as OBJ and reimport to Hexagon to tweak.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3351 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.