Having trouble rigging clothing Maya help required please.

Vtrix

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3472 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, So I have been trying to learn how to make clothing for secondlife for what seems like forever. I know how to rig, do weight paints, and all of that jazz in Maya. Heck I have a degree in animation. My problem occurs when I try to upload it to secondlife. I've never tried to upload anything to a game before this.  I have had all sorts of issues with that, the most recent one being that DAE parsing issue thing. I don't know if I'm just starting with the wrong skeleton or what. I've been using the link you can find on the wiki to aquire the file for the rig to use. I'm using Maya 2015, and the Firestorm viewer. I've been exporting things as a DAE. I'm just not sure what is going on. If some one could direct me to a tutorial or something along those lines or if you have something for me to try that would be awesome, thanks.

I am still with 2014 version and never had iussue exporting the rigged dae.

With previous versions there were a problem due to the fact that if you used more than one material to your mesh then the upload could have failed due to exporter problems so the workaround was to use the free maya fbx export tool to make the dae ( this was a valid help for versions previous 2014).

You talked about "right bones" did you use the secondlife skeleton zip or at least if you made your own did you follow its names?

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Rigging_Fitted_Mesh

That I know max has a "buggy dae" that must be fixed manually editing the text; maya has always been fine.

Something that you may want to try is ( if you own still 2014 try its export,hoping that this isn't a bug for 2015 versionthat I'ven't tried yet so couldn't give more specific help)

Another test that I'd do is using the blender  import-export Experimental Fbx  format addon ,transferring your fbx from maya to blender and from blender to SL to see if it's an exporter or settings iussues (maybe they changed some  settings in 2015).

If there is some new option in 2015 that Idk, lacking this version ,see if it would allow different ways to store weights: SL wants weights to be stored in skin if they'd be stored in bones of course the dae fails ( though this has never happen till maya 2014 my version).

Two things to remember that are crucial.  Never import the Linden Lab skeleton into your scene.  If you import it into your scene Maya  renames of all the bones and you will then have to go in the Outliner and fix all the names. You want to import your mesh into the scene where you already have LL's skeleton file open.

Two when you do "Smooth Bind" make sure "Remove unused influences" is NOT checked.  If this is checked the DAE file will not upload to SL.

I would start with something really simple like placing a cube over the head of the skeleton rig it to the entire skeleton and then weight it to just one bone the mHead bone.  Then export your DAE file and upload it to SL.  If it uploads correctly then you know all your settings are correct and the skeleton is correct.  All it takes is for one bone to be not spelled correctly or a bone missing from the "Skin Cluster".  All the bones have to be in the "Skin CLuster" even if nothing is weighted to them.

Here's a great video tutorial made by Sae Luna on how to rig mesh clothes with Maya: http://saeluan.com/tutorials/maya/rigging-mesh-in-maya/

Hope that helps. :)
Cathy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3472 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.