Getting a good measurement for SL within Blender

sodasullivan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3911 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Goodsomeone tell if or how to measure an object in Blender so that i can make it a certian size for SL? Example: Perhaps I want a 4meter X 1meter couch in Second Life. Is there someway i can get a good measurment in Blender as I build to create something that will be that size without have to be strethced very much?

Select the Scene button in the properties panel (usually on the right) next to the camera. In there, under "Units" is a set of buttons "None",  "Metric" and "Imperial". If you activate "Metric" you will see the Blender measurements labelled "m" for metre, "cm" for centimeter, etc. I think the default, when you have "None" selected, is that 1 Blender unit = 1 meter as far as the collada exporter is concerned (Collada has to have the units). If you scale the scene (below the buttons) the Blender (None) units stay the same, but the Metric m,esaurements scale. I don't know if this scaling gets into the exported collada. You can also scale the model in the last tab of the upload dialog.

In addition to the suggestions like switching your units to metric etc, it can also be a help to get an avatar model into your scene. This often helps estimate certain measurements / sizes of objects seen in relation to it.

(just don't forget to remove the avatar model from the scene again / or make sure you have the 'selected only' option on for the export to DAE)

The avatarfiles you can download here : http://static-secondlife-om.s3.amazonaws.com/downloads/avatar/avatar_mesh.zip

(or here : http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Clothing_Tutorials > Second Life avatar meshes )

This may be a VERY simplistic answer *wink* but you can set the sizes when in Object mode over in the side panel. I actually never do this but needed to today to match something made in Agni to my test in Aditi :D

This is such an easy answer I can't believe it is what you are looking for -- but just in case.  I didn't know about the length measurements so that was a handy tip. I seldom do anything that needs to be exact, but now and then ----

dimension.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3911 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.