Frustratingly ODD fragmented double faced surface on mesh objects

Loki Eliot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Im at the end of my patience and need advice if anyone has come across and figured out a fix. Basically i made suit of sci-fi armour and when i uploaded i ended up with the odd behaviour of having two faces on one face. That is to say where i UV mapped an area to be just one texture somehow has two faces that break up the area to be textured. 

I've read a few posts about problems in Blender where you join two objects with different named UV maps casuing bits to dissapear, i've also read about layered mesh where you can create mesh with two textures in one mesh face. Somehow i think these two topics could relate to my problem, but so far have not lead me to a fix.

original_54731384f8a1ec2a96000001.jpg

Image1: Sample of imported Mesh UVmapped

I thought dam, i'll have to re-Uwrap the UV's all over again, but it's turend out to be harder than that. I delete the Materials, the textures the UVmaps so the model is just the model, yet somehow it still has this surface break up when imported to SL as just the model.

original_54731245128cc92c94000001.jpg

Image 2: Same model with no Materials or UVmapping

Blender is not showing me what SL is uploading. Theres NO setting for the surfaces, i don't know what the collda file is confusing the SL importer with to cause the fragmented double faced surface

I really dont want to have to remake the Suit from scratch, does anyone have any suggestions on how to wipe this odd behaviour from my model when importing to Second Life?

Is it possible that the darker areas in image two are extra verticies that im not able to see in blender? To add to this, i exported as a .obj, then re-imported to blender, then exported as Collada again, still same results.

In addition to the other materials anomalies you describe (and there are many more), I think I have had this one a few times as well, once last week. One of the material groups would not take a separate texture.  So I ended up FiRST selecting the whole object and texturing it with the texture that would not go to the material group. The whole object took the texture, including the resistant one. Then I textured the rest of the object normally.

Well, no matter what, you won't have to redo the whole model. Maybe you need someone else to look at the file in Blender, and see if they see anything. If you want to send me the file, I'll take a look at it. It's definitely an interesting issue. You can contact me on Skype, medhue1, if you want to send me the file. To me, it looks like you have 2 set of faces overlapping, possible because of the rigging. Maybe if you rotate the joints in blender and turn on the feature to see thru the whole model, you'll see the extra stuff.

Thanks for the support , i have uploaded a .blend file for you to enjpy picking apart. Rememebr the odd behaviour only occurs once you have uploaed to SL, there is no evidence from what i can see in Blender of anythign being wrong.

But since this has happend to other models recently, i'd really like to nail this issue down.

This version of the file has no rig/armature, Has one UVmap and two Materials. https://www.dropbox.com/s/jm36nnwrawp7ut5/ProblemMesh.blend.zip?dl=0

Yeah, I didn't see anything wrong with it. It's definitely a nice suit. Maybe a bit over the top in triangles tho.

You could just break the model into 2 parts, right at the belt line. Heck, you might even be able to import them together in 2 parts. Or, if you really want the suit 1 mesh, then separate some other part. Like maybe make the gloves separate. That might be enough to bring the suit under.

Once i knew what the key to the problem was i went ahead and decimated the finished suit to be less triangle heavy and that simply fixed the issue. So any face that is mapped to more than 21844 triangles will fail to appear correctly in SL. This is a very handy piece of info to know.

Thanks everyone who helped and Drongle for figuring out that key bit of info. I managed to finish off my suit xD.

Snapshot_001.jpg

That's too bad, cause the quads looked really nice. It probably wouldn't be much to just take out a few loops, and each 1 removed would probably lower the total considerably. I just like dealing with quads better.

Oh, and after seeing the model and what you are doing with textures, I would seriously think about breaking up those colored sections into different materials. Why not use up your materials? Plus, then your customers can easily make the suit any color combination they want, and you won't have to texture all the options.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.