Export rigged Meshes with Blender 2.63

Gaia Clary

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since Blender 2.63 the Collada Exporter also exports bone attachments. Unfortunately the SL Importer does not understand Bone attachments. This leads to problems in the following case:

1. Your Armature contains Bone attachments
  2. You have exported your Mesh AND your armature (you will do this when you want to import Joints to Second Life)

If the above situation applies, then the SL Importer will end up with massively distorted meshes as soon as you enable weights.

Unfortunately Avatar.blend and all recent Avatar-Workbench versions contain bone attachments and thus they all fail with Blender 2.63 and newer when you export the armature along with the mesh

This can be fixed:

• In general: Remove the bone attachments before you export.
  • In Avatar.blend:  remove all empties (those objects for which only an axis is displayed because they have no vertices, they are attached to the bones and they where intended for easier calculating/controlling bone roll as far as i remember)
  • In Avatar workbench: Remove the content of Layer 9 (in fact the same empties as in avatar.blend)

I have updated the Avatar Workbench. The updated version works with Blender 2.62, 2.63 and 2.63a. It is available on the Machinimatrix Blog:

http://blog.machinimatrix.org/avatar-workbench/

Note: Avastar armatures are not affected!

Nalates Urriah wrote:

Why are they called Empties for Avatar.blend and
bone attchaments
in other files? Aren't these the same things?

Empties are objects like all others too. They just happen to have no vertices (that's why they are named "empties"). In avatar.blend there are a bunch of such empties attached to the armature. I just wanted to say that these objects should be deleted. I will change that in the decription to make it more clear.

• 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.