Error uploading mesh: Mesh exceeds 256m

Feynt Mistral

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been working on my giant tree (mentioned at various times throughout the mesh beta, and demonstrated at least once) and have reached what I consider a finished state on the mesh side of things.  When I went to upload it to the beta grid however, imagine my surprise when I crashed immediately!

8 attempts later, I finally encounter a message box and no crash, stating that the mesh exceeds 256m.  This is, in fact, a lie.  According to Blender, the mesh is approximately 143 x 154 x 241m.  I have to scale down the mesh using the upload dialog to 0.94 in order to get it to upload properly, causing me to lose 15m off of the height of the tree.  This is actually a big deal, because the branches are arranged in such a way that they would just hang over some floating apartments in the sim this is supposed to go in.  With the loss of those 15m, the branches would now extend into the apartments.

Why is there even a check on the Z axis for a maximum size?  There's effectively no height limit in a sim anymore.  With the 64m limit, you would probably run out of vertices to throw at a build long before reaching 4km.

The problem is probably the extents of the bounding box......the long diagonal of the bounding box on the dimensions you list would 319m.......meaning that if you rotated the tree the wrong way, you could have it pointing outside BOTH sides of a single sim.

You'd probably be much better off re-designing the tree to not have such a large singular dimension.  Break it into two or more linked parts.  I might mention that the PE of such a mesh is going to be huge at those dimensions as well, and by breaking it into smaller segments will reduce the PE as well.

It's already split up into several 64m or smaller pieces.  Each bounding box for each piece is under 70m diagonally.  It's just that the TOTAL mesh, consolidated in Blender, shows those boundaries.  I'm not too worried about the diagonality of it either, I can rotate it quite a bit without it sweeping off the sim's main parcel accidentally.

I saw the following in the changes since last good build for viewer build 238735...

"viewer: SH-2217 Fix for large models not getting properly clampled by importer (odd that server seems to need 240m limit instead of 256m limit)"

Since it is already in pieces, why not just upload half of them at a time and then place one half on top of the other?

Lining up meshes along an infinitely thin line is annoying.  Even with script assistance, there's still visible seams.  Makes me sad that we can't just have the one piece all in one go.  But thanks for picking up on that entry, I guess the "mesh is larger than 256m" didn't get changed to "larger than 240m"

Hope that can be fixed sooner or later.  >/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.