Double sided mesh normals reverse problem

VulpesVulpes666

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am trying in Blender trick with duplicate mesh and then reversing the normals in order to get double sided mesh and everything goes fine until i try to rig it,i am using avastar addon and when i assign the armature and generate vertex weights and move mesh parts in pose mode everything goes nuts it appears like there are two meshes and all sorts of distortions appear,any sugestions how to solve this problem guys?Thanks

LOL @ me

I logged into a group conversation and saw this topic. I don't follow it, really, but felt it is something to study so saved it. I will repost it with changed names.

[12:59] XYZ: Blender has mirror tools, but so does gaia
[13:00] PDQ: ahh. well why am I the only one that notices the mirror tools are not always showing or not working?
[13:00] XYZ: these are blenders: http://home.comcast.net/~volfin/20140718195924737.jpeg
[13:00] Kara Moon (seabird7): I get upload errors using blender mirror, but found a workaround
[13:01] XYZ: these are gaia's: http://home.comcast.net/~volfin/20140718195954894.jpeg
[13:01] XYZ: they work if you set up your mesh properly
[13:01] XYZ: all of your vertices have to have an X offset from zero. Then you have to use the Mirror modifier to mirror that to the other half of your mesh. if you mesh was created this way, no other mirror tools will work right. (with one exception)
[13:02] Kara Moon (seabird7): what set up is proper then?
[13:02] Kara Moon (seabird7): ty
[13:02] PDQ: true but they do not work as fluently as on other software like max
[13:03] XYZ: well for mirroring on non-symmetrically created mesh, you have to use Topology Mirror
[13:03] XYZ: this is new for Blender, and Gaia made a Topology version in her software too
[13:04] XYZ: i am not sure where Gaia's Topology mirror comes in, but for the blender one, it's like this: http://home.comcast.net/~volfin/20140718200350810.jpeg
[13:04] XYZ: you start the mirror process, then check the Topology Mirror checkbox
[13:04] XYZ: then it just uses approximate location as a mirror basis, instead of mirrored geometry

VulpesVulpes666 wrote:

I am trying in Blender trick with duplicate mesh and then reversing the normals in order to get double sided mesh and everything goes fine until i try to rig it,i am using avastar addon and when i assign the armature and generate vertex weights and move mesh parts in pose mode everything goes nuts it appears like there are two meshes and all sorts of distortions appear,any sugestions how to solve this problem guys?Thanks

Solidifying a whole clothing items is going to make weighting a nightmare. Being that no1 will ever see the inside of the clothing, using solidify is not the best option. That is ultimately up to you, but I do have an alternative solution that might work well for you.

Here is a video where I show how to make it look like your clothing has a backside, but it only covers the areas you need to. I also want to point out, that today I like to add a couple more edge loops around the ends to add thickness to the clothing.

Solidify modifier is fine, the weights are duplicated.  My point stands about applying the modifier as the last thing to do and then remove unwanted faced.  No effort at all during weighting since you can turn the modifier on and off.

Extruding as you point out is another applicable method.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Solidify modifier is fine, the weights are duplicated.  My point stands about applying the modifier as the last thing to do and then remove unwanted faced.  No effort at all during weighting since you can turn the modifier on and off.

Extruding as you point out is another applicable method.

If you are going to remove the unseen faces, then it makes sense to use solidify. I'd give it a decent amount of thickness tho.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.