Does Google 3D Warehouse - Terms of Service mean what i think it means?

Syn Enyo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The link is http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/3dwh/tos.html

"(c) By publicly posting or displaying the content you give other end users of the Services a perpetual, sublicensable, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute (subject to the restrictions set forth in Sections 11.4 and 20.3 of these Terms) any Content or derivative works thereof which you publicly post or display on or through the Services."

I like Sketchup and some of the content i really would like in my builds. So say i was building a house, i could use furniture already made or adapt it in my own Second Life if i understand correctly. I wanted to post this to see what other residents think from reading this.

Looks like we can use warehouse content then,  I expect some will object, but with full atribution to the builder why not. Those terms look  clear enough. 

hehehe  :: Dump.wharehouse() >> SL.Asset.Serv  -  wheres the API.? nice little convert and  mashup script project for someone 

• 2 months later...

Let's note that those terms also limit (partially at least) how one can redistribute Google 3D Warehouse content:

11.4 Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, without Google’s prior authorization, you may not: (i) aggregate Content obtained from Google Services for redistribution

I haven't fully read those terms anyway yet.

The question will be commercial use clauses or denial thereof.

People just using for personal use are unlikely to be cared about IMHO. But you never can tell. See the problem is if the uploader to google uploaded a registered copyright infringement and a SL user then uploaded it to SL and distributed it then every person that received the infringement could be litigated/sued. (RIAA strategy: Sue all downloaders and offer settlement for $2500 to $5000 because it is cheaper to settle than to defend in court and they might loose and a judgment up to $150,000 be deemed by a judge. Yea edge case but possible and the RIAA does do this constantly and does get the tax free settlements. The housewife that challenged in the publicized case had to pay millions.) So yea use downloaded models at your and your customers' own risk.

IANAL so consult with your lawyer before downloading models off the internet. (oh and I know you know this Opensource)

• 1 month later...

"Redistribution" from what I can understand  means you are selling OR giving away as freebie. Excluding selling which is obviously clearly prohibited even assembling in much more complex structures. So if we read the terms it appears that you can use them for your "personal" use but should avoid to have others getting the same directly from you. This is similar to a lot of licenses. The trick here should be that if you intend to gift the model to others you should provide the link to google warehouse and not sending the model via email. 

If you just want to enjoy in your parcel that model it appears you can do that :)

Salahzar Stenvaag wrote:

If you just want to enjoy in your parcel that model it appears you can do that
:)

And one day i come along the path to your region, see this nice environment and think: "WOW that is good for my next machinima prodcution...". Then i ask you about permission to make footage and since it is your private region and you are a kind person, you give me the permission to film. This IS in accordance with the LL license policies about taking footage.

And some time later my film gets so much popularity that i am able to sell it to a local tv company (nice dream, however...) and then ... the originator of this nice little environment where the main action of my film took place, comes to watch the film and now ... i am in trouble, no ?

So the question is for me, if i as a region owner am still using an asset for my personal usage if i let others visit my region, where everybody can see the object in question...

So after learning about creating 3D content, now i will start my next career as lawyer... to survive in the virtual worlds.:matte-motes-evil:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.