Desperatly need help. Severe lighting issue on a mesh.

Zuren Scribe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I have made a number of rigged meshes in the past, but I am completely stumped as to what's causing this lighting issue. This is my first 4-legged mesh by the way (using a custom animation to bend like a dog), so there might be something obvious I'm missing. If it matters, the Left and Right thighs are rotated 90 degrees up/forward, the Left/Right "shoulders" are rotated 90 degrees inward, and the Neck is rotated 90 degrees to the back in order to get the proper stand. I am on the Aditi Test Grid, so as to not waste any $L. 

Here is a picture from the front of the mesh I'm working on, notice how there are very bright light bumps? It is a completly smooth mesh (no vertices are jutting out where the light brightens), and in Blender I do not see those lighting issues at all.

Snapshot_003.png

It occurs in various parts of the mesh, but it is extremely noticable there. What can cause this issue? In all of my other rigged meshes, I have not experienced this issue, and I cannot seem to figure out why this one is doing this.

EDIT: Update, I made a very bright green light right next to the mesh in SL, and the white bumps are NOT turning green with it, even when the light is directly in front of the mesh.

Snapshot_001.png

Please help me, this is completely confusing me and definatly ruins the mesh if I can't fix this lighting issue.

Any chance there could be a doubled row of vertices, with a set of very thin upward-facing faces between them? Then the smooth shading could cause that sort of lighting effect. Perhaps this is caused by distortion introduced by the rigging? If you apply a regular grid texture, any such distortion should be immediately apparent.

Due to the way Blender 2.49 works, I cannot edit the rigging itself without causes a jumbled mess when I try to import. Due to this, the mesh is alligned to an unmodified SL rigging as a human,then the animation makes it into the position pictures above.

Here is a picture (too big for SL forums uploading to see) of the rigging in Blender on the top. On the bottom I've selected the faces that (I think, not 100% sure) cause this lighting problem. Whenever the head rotates 90 degrees backwards in the pictures animation pose, it causes those particular faces to flip nearly 180 degrees. 

Still, Blender shows absolutly no lighting issues when it's rotated the same degrees as Second Life. Here is a picture of blender's screen showing the same angle/position as the ones taken in SL in my other post:

Untitled-1.png

Since it's working just fine in Blender, it should work just fine in Second Life too, as all my other mesh's never had such an issue.

Also, something strange I noticed, if I delete the nearby properly shaded faces in Second Life using Blender, and recreate them exactly the same as they were, they too get this insanely bad lighting problem.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4249 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.