DAZ Studio and mesh

Gavin Hird

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been working with Daz 4 in conjunction with Blender 2.58 with not much direct success exporting an avatar mesh.

The Daz collada exporter (Standard or Daz Enhanced) seems to leave out some weld geometry and will include any cameras, lights,  rigging, etc. Most can be filtered out if imported to Blendor as a .dae but the weld geomtry is really hard to pinpoint.

I just started to experiment with exporting from Daz as an .obj file and importing to Blendor. There's about 50 separate meshes. Just "joining" them together as one single mesh hasn't provided any successful results. I'm going to try just "joining" 2 meshes at a time and then "removing doubles" at the "edge loop" vertices to "weld" the vertices to see if I can get one single complete mesh out of all of those meshes. Might be too time comsuming to do for production unless the workflow can be speeded up somehow.

:-)

I was able to export a Daz avatar model as an .obj file and import it to Blender. The model has 61 unique meshes which 11 of them I deleted as unnecessary (teeth and eyes sitting internally in the head mesh).

After many sessions of joining meshes, exporting as .dae files, going back and forth to MAX, converting with FBX, and uploading to Aditi, I am still not able to get a completely joined mesh onto Aditi.

For some reason, in the LL upload process, a section or 2 of the completed mesh fails to be included in the mesh viewer and final upload.

This is definitely a unique issue as the completed mesh is fine in conversions and other software.

@ Zena: Are you using Blender 2. 58. 1? That version allows you to export out a rigged mesh that works in SL. It also has "export selected" added. It isn't on the main Blender site though. You have to download a version from graphicall.org.

Concerning rigged mesh exported from Daz, I'm waiting for Daz 4 Advanced and the new Figure Setup tools (renamed Content Creation Tools I think). Right now, we can't test the weight paint ability of Daz since we can't legally bring Genesis into SL. So hopefully, the creation tools will come out soon so I can experiment with Daz's system and see if it is easier or harder than weight painting in Blender. And well, I'll have to see if the dae from Daz will be compatible with the SL uploader when it comes to a rigged mesh.

I do have 2.58.1 but I do believe it still has probs with collada among other bugs I found in the last couple of days. 

I loaded Victoria 4.2 into Daz4 and it has all the slider bars for morphs and shapes... fairly extensive. All I'm interested in are the shapes/meshes (which can be separated out) right now so I can establish a workflow to paint and rig in Blender 2.58 (vs. 2.49). I thought using Daz as a resource might be a fairly simple process but I've spent way too much time on it as it is.

ps... I did take a look at tthe .bvh exporter in Daz4. It has a little check box for "SL Compatible".

I'm pretty sure you aren't actually allowed to bring any of the Daz 3D models into SL per the regular Daz license. But anyway, I haven't had any issues using the 2.58.1 version to export rigged mesh. The only caveat is that you do need to name the armature "avatar" to get it to work properly. I'm using the Win version however. Maybe, it is buggy on other OS systems.

The license agreement for Daz Models (at least the one I have) is very explicit on what can and cannot be done with them. And I'm sure that Daz'll be watching SL like a hawk... lol.

The only probs I have been having are with joined meshes and getting them to export out of Blender in collada 1.4. I haven't had any probs with single meshes imported into or created with Blender. I really like 2.58... such a smoother flow even though most commands are the same. I guess I got tired of that really oudated gui before 2.5.

• 4 weeks later...

"The license agreement for Daz Models (at least the one I have) is very explicit on what can and cannot be done with them. And I'm sure that Daz'll be watching SL like a hawk... lol."

I'm not sure Daz or any other company (including Second Life, if anyone should challenge it in court) has the legal right to state what is done with intellectual property created using their program.  They do have the legal right to specify what is done with their program, their code, or proprietary data resulting therefrom.  But any efforts to limit the right of a creator to use his creations as he sees fit... might backfire with far more damage than any imagined damage from the act itself.

I think LL can consider itself very lucky some user-with-guts hasn't decided to take them to court over their backup-restriction policies.  If they did, LL might find itself backpeddaling very quickly.  Some companies put things in their licenses hoping such will never be challenged in court.  Others think they have legal basis for such restrictions-- but find out the hard way that isn't the case.  When it comes to copyright law-- companies have to be very careful what they try to restrict, lest they find themselves on the receiving end of a major lawsuit.

I'm sure Daz can legally tell you what you can and cannot do with the 3D models that they or their merchants have created. The license for using these items clearly states what they can be used for. So for example, using one of their models as an avatar in SL for sale is going outside that license. Of course, if you build your own model and rig it in Daz, that isn't an issue.

I spoke with a representative of Daz and was told that usage of any of their mesh or other vendor mesh on their site is strictly prohibited in any realtime virtual environment unless you have a professional gaming license.

I am working with a non profit group to make a machinama.  I was told that I could use one of their models in a standalone unity setting to make the film for the non profit group but couldnt use any of the models in a real time multiuser environment without the developer gaming license.

All that being said I still expect we will see Daz models on the grid.  It will be interesting to see if LL does anything to keep those violating the DAZ eula in check.

Of course the poly count on their models is usually very high so unless one tweeked the models and used the decimation tools to lower the count I would imagine the PE cost would be rather high.  So that alone may be enough of a deterrent

Yes, it will be interesting. Daz does have a presence in SL. The problem is that Daz figures can be morphed significantly. It will be hard to tell just by looking if a model is theirs or not. The truly sad part is that when someone does release a well done human avatar to SL, I'll bet money that they will have to deal with a lot of "I bet that is a Daz model" accusations.

And, I doubt size will be a deterrent since it is an attachment. The type of person that would bring a Daz figure into SL and sell it will hardly care about efficiency. The upload cost won't be staggering so that won't stop them either.

Well, there is a different aspect of this which is not avatar related necessarily, and that is that DAZ 3D has an application called Hexagon that can create models from scratch, and via the Hexagon bridge to DAZ Studio can export these models to collada.  

Hexagon can also open a number of standard formats including SL sculpt files (which it also can write), apply morphs to them and via the bridge spit them out as collada. 

Boaz Sands wrote:

I spoke with a representative of Daz and was told that usage of any of
their mesh
or other vendor mesh on their site is strictly prohibited in any realtime virtual environment unless you have a professional gaming license.

This becomes an interesting question when "their mesh" is exported to another 3D program and is simply used as a guide to model a whole new mesh, without using any of the actual triangles from it.  To remove it even further, take photographs of "their mesh" from the x, y, and z directions and display them as a background image in 3ds Max (other 3d programs may have that feature).  Using a background reference photo from real life is a common method for 3D modelers to get the basic shape correct.

Obviously using their model with no changes to the mesh is not allowed if they say so.  But at what point does using it as a reference only become legitimate?  You cannot copyright the human body shape.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.