Creating tattoos for a mesh.

Yugen Ravenhurst

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm sure there may be a thread or two about this, and if so, please do share the links? All help is welcomed. 

Lately, I have been attempting to create tattoo or marking for meshes yet of course the normal tattoo only is applied to the default body. 

I know I need the UV mapping, which for the mesh I'm working with, I have, but how do I actually apply another layer without replacing the first? And what format would the said marking have to be in?

This is hacky and not officially supported, but it works --

Make a second copy of the rigged attachment. Leave the original texture on the first copy, apply a mostly transparent texture with the tattoo to the second.

If you wear the attachments in that order -- solid first, tattoo second -- you can get what you want.

Did i mention that this is hacky and not officially supported?

Cerise wrote:

This is hacky and not officially supported, but it works --

Make a second copy of the rigged attachment. Leave the original texture on the first copy, apply a mostly transparent texture with the tattoo to the second.

If you wear the attachments in that order -- solid first, tattoo second -- you can get what you want.

Did i mention that this is 
hacky and not officially supported?

If you're going down this road, PLEASE do not copy the entire avatar geometry. removing faces where there will be no tattoo won't affect the weight maps, won't affect the UV maps, but will reduce the load on SL's servers and people's computers. If you want an anchor on your upper arm, all you need is the upper arm.

I'm not sure if this will be of any help, but, maybe.

The developer kit that comes with the Lolas Tangos mesh breasts includes a map and it works pretty much how you've described, it works like putting a clothing layer on the breast, however,  I've made tattoos for the breast and it does replace what is there already. There is a script sold at Rubber Bunny (an SL shop) that allows multiple layers to be worn on that mesh, so the tattoo can be worn on top of the texture for the breasts and then a shirt over it .

Since it appears you have the UV mapping maybe a similar script would work for you.

Good luck

I am trying to get rid of my very scared face expression that has creeped over my face when imagining everyone doing this
o.O !!! 

As kwakk already said. If you consider doing this, then directly consider to get the full persmission on the mesh, and edit the object itself. Duplicating only those faces being needed. and only use this *patch* for applying your tattoo.

I am shivering with the thought of avatars possibly wearing their whole mesh body several times, to apply several tatoos on top of each other or  tatoos in combination 

@ OP: As amethyst already said - the only way to do so is when the creator adds an extra layer on them. Or if you not only have the UV map but also the skin texture / clothing texture and then pain the tatoo on top of it, or create an own mesh-patch that people can wear on top and adjust 

Cheers, Code.

• 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.