Crash on Upload

LuckyCreations1488303085

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been having different models I try to upload crash the viewer. Sometimes it will let me upload a model, and sometimes it wont let me upload a model because it will crash. I tried to upload a fairly simple road that I made, but that crashes the viewer. I would like for it to at least let me know what was wrong with the model so I can know what I need to do to fix it, but when it crashes, I am left with nothing letting me know what is wrong with it. It is a simple road with only 2 materials, 40 triangles, and 80 vertices.

Capture.PNG

The developers need to know about and have access to meshes that cause crashes. This is what the beta is for. If you want to contribute, you can do this in the jira. (Instructions start at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Bug_Tracker.) Use the code "CTS" in the search box top right to see the mesh-related issues. Choose "Mesh Beta" fo the project if you create an issue.

The more accompanying information you can give the better, such as what you did/not do on tyhe physics shape tab, what the LOD numbers were, what size textures/materials and how many etc. It also helps if you can identify which of these settings do/not cause the crash. You should include environment info (Help|About in viewer) and should be using the latest viewer.

If you want to keep your mesh private, you can use the Edit button|Advaced tab|Security dropdown to set "Lindens and Reporter" before you attach the dae file(s). Then nobody else can see it(them).

I always forget the simple things like checking for stray verts (In Blender: Mesh>Scripts>Clean Meshes and select verts free and edges free),  checking for doubles (In Blender 2.49: shortcut W 6 or Mesh>Vertices>Remove Doubles) as well as making sure the normals are all facing out (Blender: ctl N in edit mode). 

I had a problem with crashing today which turned out to be both a problem with flipped normals and duplicate verts.   Also in the past I had a problem with non-manifold edges/verts. Todays model I was having trouble with DOES have nonmanifold edges, but that didn't pose a problem this time. (You can select non manifold edges in Blender  shortcut: ctl alt shift M).

You may be aware of these things, however folks who are fairly new to modeling, such as myself, might find this useful, so I thought I'd post it.

Thank you Nacy. Even with this help, though, there will always be "mistakes". So it is important that the uploader be able to detect and reject problem meshes before it crashes, when it can't repair them. I think that's why the developers need to see dae files that crash the viewer (or even more, those that crash the server!) whether or not there is a known solution.

If anyone is using Google Sketchup and has had success with uploading files, can you help me out with this problem. It is only files that are exported from Sketchup that I have problems with uploading to SL. I can confirm this because I used Bryce to generate a mountain with some 14,000 triangles, and I was able to get a physics mesh uploaded with it. Google Sketchup for some reason will export the model with a whole bunch of meshes. I have a cabin that I am making and have tried different things to get it exported as 1 mesh, but when I look at it in Blender (Blender 2.5), it has 195 different meshes, most of those meshes are different rails on the porch. To get them into 1 mesh, I have to merge those 195 into 1 (highlight them all and press ctrl+J ). But when I try to upload that into SL, it will crash my viewer. I have been able to get it uploaded at one point (with no physics mesh), but the more detail I add to it, I haven't had any luck at all to get it uploaded at all.

Pics:

Sketchup

SKUCABIN.JPGSKUCABINEXPORT.JPGSKUCABININFO.JPG

Blender

BLENDERCABIN##.jpg

This below picture shows a single post on the rails. That single post is Mesh.025.

BLENDERCABINMESH.JPG

Below Image: The Outline list after I have merged (highlighted them all and pressed ctrl+J ) the 195 meshes.

BLENDERCABIN###.JPG

Second Life

SLCABIN1.JPG

SLCABIN2.JPG

SLCABIN3.JPG

I have included all of these pics so you can see exactly what I am doing during the whole process.

1. Export model with the dae options in the Pic 2 in the sketchup section. (Also have tried checking and unchecking different things in that window, but makes no difference)

2. Examine how many mesh objects that it has been created in blender - Pic 1 in the blender section.

3. Merge them all together (highlight them all and press ctrl+J ) - Pic 3 in the blender section.

4. Try to import the model in Second Life with the options in the 3 Pics in the Second Life section. (Also crashes if I don't include a physics mesh)

5. Second Life will crash.

If I make a very simple model in sketchup and upload it, I sometimes am able to get it uploaded with a physics mesh. But that wasnt the case when I made the road in the orginal post to this thread. It seems happen randomly and I have no idea which models I am able to upload, and which ones I can't. I have created a Jira about this issue, but none of the Lindens have assigned it to anyone yet.

If anyone who is using Sketchup and is lucky enough to get your models uploaded, please explain your process to me.

Thanks.

It's not quite clear what you did for the physics. There is no number of hulls, which suggests you did not do "Analyse" (decompose into convex hulls). In fact, with a mesh this detailed, and using the high LOD mesh for phsyics, that may take forever and end up with more hulls than you are allowed (256). I'm not sure, but I think you are not allowed to use the undecomposed mesh any more. Anyway, it would lead to a prohibitive physics cost with all those rails etc.I have no idea whether that is the source of the crashes, but you need a good physics shape anyway. You could try uploading using a single cube as the physics shape, just to see if that is the problem.

I can't identify tyhe jira you refer to. Does it have the offending dae file? Can you give a link?

Well, after messing around with it a bit more, I tried detaching the porch and uploading it separately. That seemed to work. Got it uploaded with a physics mesh and linked it to the rest of the cabin. Still not sure why I had problems with it though when it was still attached. It still isnt completely finished. I still have to add some glass to the windows and finish of the trim on some of the other windows. Probably need to work on some separate LODs to reupload to the cabin, because I just used the default for now. If you wanna take a look at it in world, its in Mesh Sandbox 28.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.