Combined uploaded mesh with only LOD1 more stable then seperate uploaded mesh with LOD1, 2 and 3

Zed Tremont

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3344 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Alright something that drives me nuts for 2 days now, really appreciate help.

Project: window box with curled wrought iron, I do hope I can attach a picture later.

Workflow: made LOD1, 2 and 3 manually and the related physics shapes (2 planes for each = 4 triangles)

Uploaded the combined meshes with only LOD1 and physics to none for easy positioning inworld

Uploaded the seperate elements with LOD1, 2, 3 and the physics shapes.

2 of the 4 elements went perfect

The poles on the side are creating issues.

The collapse of the "final" poles is a lot faster and not acceptable then the primary combined uploaded mesh even though there are 3 LODs present while in the first one only LOD1.

I know these are rather high in polys for gaming but really did want to have the detail in them

LOD1: 2376

LOD2: 462

LOD3: 147 exceptionally let the viewer do this one.

LOD4: down to minimum 4

size: <0.082, 0.081, 1.594>

Texture faces: 3

I am sure and it's verified that the model is correct made, made already smaller banisters where the collapse is totally correct.

As a test I uploaded in an opensim environment, all was perfect there.

Discussed with people regarding this, Tammy Moyet said that this is a sl problem and that only solution is to increase the triangles in the lower LODs.

Uploaded again with LOD1 and 2 as same LOD3 on 462 which gives of course a crasy Li... result the same

Will try further by uploading the elements combined with the correct LODs.

If anybody has some ideas regarding this will be most glad to hear something, it's driving me quite nuts.

Railing close up.jpg 

White pole at the right side has only LOD1, left side LOD1, 2 and 3

railing zoomed out.jpg

left pole collapse much earlier then the other

Uh! I can't beleive they didn't fix thatn one in more than three years! Unfortunately, I am blocked from seeing the Jira evn thyough it'smy report - a leftover from then closed jira era - so I can't see if anything was done. Maybe if someone with full jira privileges sees this they can enlighten us. (it was VWR-27992, I think).

Yes you where right, it's indeed the above mentioned bug.

I tried a few things:

1. Upload a mesh where more elements where combined in a .dae file but not merged in the 3D program -> failure the moment you try to add LOD2, the viewer "crosses out" the 2 LODs

2. simply make one texture face instead of the 3 I had and all went perfect.

Nasty little bug it is and made me loose quite a bit of time.

Thanks for the help :)

Just an FYI: If you want to upload multiple meshes with custom LOD models in one go, you have to make sure the order of the lower LOD meshes (and custom physics meshes) in the DAE file is the same as the order in the High LOD DAE file. Or the correlation of the LODs won't work.

There are a couple of different methods of how to achieve that, depending on the software you use.

Not that I think it would help with this particular bug, but it's quite handy if you have quite a few meshes which you would have to re-assemble in-world otherwise. It can also save some L$.

Fortunately there are some improvements in the pipe, which will make importing multiple meshes in one go easier. It's in a Project Viewer atm. Though when I wanted to test this out with that viewer, I stumbled over bug which messed up the High LOD already. So It's not ready yet.

Lovely Jobly Rotaru, I didn't knew that it was related to the selecting of the meshes. Up to now I simply brought in the complete   (in the .dae file) combined element on LOD1 with the lowest possible physics and replaced the meshes one by one.

For complex items it was the best way to get the positioning right without having to place them all manual.

Of course I will keep an eye on this one and give it a try.

Thanks,

Zed

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3344 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.