Collada Version Supported?

DanielRavenNest Noe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since we now supposedly have the final asset format, I am working towards documenting different 3D programs on the wiki.

I have been testing between 3ds Max 2010 and the new 3ds Max 2012 using a simple box with 6 textures, one per side.  The earlier version imports to SL with the textures preserved.  The new version imports as a single texture surface.  I tried all four combinations of unwrapping UVW (yes or no) and assigning material (yes or no)

The difference in the Collada .dae files is the older version specifies Collada version 1.4.0 and the newer version specifies version 1.4.1.  So my questions to the Linden staff and anyone else playing with this are:

(1) What Collada version is supported by Second Life, and is that noted anywhere in a wiki page?

(2) Is anyone else seeing this issue in other software as far as Collada version breaking import?

Test Environment:

Second Life 2.7.3 (232588) Jun  9 2011 18:40:06 (Project Viewer - Mesh Asset Deprecation)

Mesh Sandbox 30 located at sim7029.aditi.lindenlab.com (216.82.40.146:12035) Mesh Import 11.06.09.232605

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         920  @ 2.67GHz (2672.75 MHz)     Memory: 6135 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 260/PCI/SSE2
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0012.7533
OpenGL Version: 3.3.0

Blender 2.57b will export simple things to Collada and works in SL. However, more complex things like rigged mesh simply don't work well. Blender 2.49 does handle rigged mesh.

Since Blender 2.5x is easier to learn and some nice features (turn on the cool stuf in User Preferences -> Add-ons) many are building and texturing in 2.57b then opening the the blend file as a library in 2.49b to export as Collada files. 

Moving files from 2.5 to 2.4 and back to 2.5 can cause problems. Any editing in 2.4 can be a problem when one later tries to edit the same file in 2.5.  So, using the 2.5 files as a library item leaves you a clean 2.5 file to work in.

The Wiki is running behind. The best info is here in the forum.

Thank you for pointing out that page Cerise.  It appears to be incorrect in several items, though.  It indicates Sketchup and 3ds Max after a certain version work, but my testing shows the most current versions do *not* work.  So assuming the SL importer and asset format are now stable (I will wait a bit to be sure with the new version just released to Aditi), that page will need to be updated to the actual situation.  I can only do that for the software I have available to test.  Other people will have to fill in info for whatever else they use.

@Angel - "I also wonder why do you say that the materials on the collada previously worked. They didn't. At least to the ones exported by Maya with the 2011 FBX exporter."

I tested 3ds Max 2010 and 2012 and reported results for that.  I don't use Maya, so I have no idea if it works or not, even though in theory it uses the same FBX plugin from Autodesk.  Note that for Max 2010, I used the FBX 2011.3 plugin, which implies there were two previous 2011 plugins.

Thank you Marielle.  As we get closer to having mesh live on the main grid, other Residents will want to know what software they can use, and what not to waste time on if it's not working. It does not make it easier when different versions work or don't work :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

And perhaps the Linden staff will realize they need the model importer to accept Collada 1.4.1 as well as 1.4, so a wider range of source files can be read.

I don't expect Collada 1.4.1 or alternate 3D software support to be added for initial release, but it's something that can be worked on afterwards.  For now I would like a statement of which Collada version(s), XML tags, or 3D programs are *supported*. Supported means if a valid .dae file does not upload properly, it will be treated as a bug in the SL importer to be fixed, rather than a JIRA being labeled "expected behavior" as they did for SketchUp 8 failing.

I added that point to your agenda question.

• Lindens

Marielle Caerndow wrote:

Daniel, I can confirm this.

Tested the colladas from 3dsMax2011 ( => collada 1.4.0), upload works.

Tested the colladas (same, simple model) when exported from Max2012 (=> collada 1.4.1) did not upload (completely crashed the viewer)

Mariella: I'll take a look at this - it probably is a pretty simple code change to get 1.4.1 files working (especially if it's for simple models). Open up a jira and attach both the 1.4 and 1.4.1 collada files. Mention that it should be directed to me and I'll look into it.

-prep

I use a really old 3dsmax 8. The exporter is the FBX200611_1_3DSMAX80_WIN_ENU.

I've never had the SL importer upload the texture for me, but all the material data stays in tack. 1 mesh I made had 6 different SL faces, and I just tested it and it works perfectly.

Max has many different collada exporters.Opencollada, ColladaMax, and at least 2 different FBX collada exporters. None worked at all for me except the FBX200611_1. I've not tried them all with the latest change.

• 2 months later...

I don't know if this can be usefull... but if somebody thought thta well.. I'm posting what i discover while trying to upload a mesh in SL.

ATTENTION: in all those tests the mesh was perfectly rigged in software - not in SL

MAC 10.6.8

C4D 12 and 11 export in COLLADA 1.4.1 --> unable to upload a rigged mesh (the calculate weight and fee disappear). Orientation of the model 90 degree off skeleton (only in world, not in software)

BLENDER 2.49 --> model 90 degree off skeleton (only in world, not in software)

BLENDER 2.59 --> unable to upload a rigged mesh (the calculate weight and fee disappear). 

MAYA 2010 --> unable to upload a rigged mesh (the calculate weight and fee disappear). 

MAYA 2012 --> unable to export proprely in COLLADA

I have no idea, i tryied many times building different models. All faces was perfectly facing normal, rigging was working perfectly in software.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.