Blender "sharp" edges ignored when uploaded to SL?

Cubey Terra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3384 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I hope this question hasn't been asked before, but I can't find it in the forum.

When I mark an edge in Blender as "sharp", I then uploaded it into SL and the edge isn't sharp anymore. Do I have to actually split the edge (duplicating the vertices) to achieve a sharp edge? I don't really want to do this for various reasons. Hoping there's an easier way to achieve sharp edges.

If you mark the edges as sharp AND add the edge split modifier, probably with marked edges checked but not angle, then Blender will shade the mesh as if the edges were split, but they won't be split for normal editing*. Then don't apply the modifier, but when you export with the Apply Modifiers option checked (automatic for the SL presets) the edges will be split in the Collada file. Sharp edges have to be split in the uploader anyway, so you shouldn't notice.

In contrast, if you use Edge split from the menu or shortcut, it as applied immediately.

There is another way to get sharp edges, by checking the Auto smooth in the Normals section of the object properties tab (the little triangle mesh icon). This will make them sharp depending on the angle set there, and if they are marked sharp. This also lets you see the split vertex normals in the 3D view. However, in the version of Blender I am using (2.71)  the collada exporter does not recognise sharp edges made that way. That may be corrected in later or upcoming versions of Blender. I hope Gaia will let us know.

*They will be split as far as subsurf modifiers further down the stack are concerned. So if you want to subsurf, it has to be above the edge split.

This is a very helpful response, Drongle. Thanks.

I was using Edge Split from the Edge menu, and of course that wasn't what I wanted. I don't yet know about "modifiers", so I'll look into what those are and how to use them.  I saw the "Apply Modifiers" option in the Collada export, but didn't know what it was. Now I know!

The Autosmooth feature works wonderfully in Blender for most edges, but as you said, those sharp edges don't seem to make it into SL.

OK. Time to read up on what modifiers are. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3384 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.