Avatar into Mudbox then how to get it out again?

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I import the avatar as an OBJ into mudbox it comes in but says that either the UVs are missing or as in the case of the newer base mesh, are corrupted with one or more bits of the mesh overlapping or some such. basically mudbox things the avatar is a mesh.

But I get it in. so, once I get it painted the way I want it, how the heck do I get the painted textures out so that I can upload into sl as skins? All of the videosIve seen have UVs that can be viewed, but the meshes are not sl avatars-- and I cant "see" the SL uvs in mudbox or Im too noobish to figure it out.

Tried google and youtube and maybe this is a case of mudbox using different terminology than say blender or SL for that matter.

Supposedly you can take the painted textures over to photoshop from mudbox as well...to refine..but darned if I can figure it out with the SL mesh. Anyone have a set of clean and useful SL avatars that you know work for mudbox?

Tutorial links? on this, and on clothing for mudbox? From the tuts Im seeing in general mudbox is way more intuitive for a designer like me. In one day I already know how to sculpt and paint with it whereas with blender I simply struggle. Just gotta figure out how to get a good SL avatar in.

Stumped.

The SL base avatar is made out of three main parts which have it's own texture. The Head, Upper Body, and the Lower Body. Each of the 3 body parts has it's own set of UVs, which are all in the 0 to 1 UV space. It has 3 UV sets overlapping each other. Hence, Mudbox is telling you that there are overlapping UVs. If you offset the UV sets in a 3D modeling program, like Blender, you can place each set in it's own UV tile. Mudbox will recognize that UV layout.

To export maps, right click on a Paint layer and choose one of the export options, like Export PSD Channel. Or File > Export All Paint layers.

In the upper left corner there is a UV View button. :matte-motes-tongue: In the main menu bar is also a UV & Maps button. From there you can use Flatten to UV space to paint on the UVs directly. You may have to rotate and move the viewport to make them show up. Use Unflatten From UV Space to switch back to the mesh.

Pretty much anything you need to know is written down in the Autodesk Mudbox Online Help:

http://download.autodesk.com/us/mudbox/help2010/index.html?url=WS1a9193826455f5ff4e421d7d11bf108001d-5967.htm,topicNumber=d0e4016

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.