Applying UV Map to a rigged mesh?

Sanjaria

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I've recently made a mesh dress, rigged and everything but now when I made the UV Map for it and upload the UV Map texture seperatly to second life the uv map does not really match with my dress? Like it's completely repositioned and it does not look like how it's supposed to.

Is there a tutorial that shows how to apply a UV Map to a rigged texture or can anyone help me find out what I'm doing wrong?

Okay here's my process

I made the mesh in marvelous designer with the "Unified UV Coordinates" check box checked

To convert the tris to quads I used Zbrush and still managed to unwrap the UV in zbrush

when I imported the mesh into blender, I got the UV by just selecting my mesh and then saved it.

Once I had the uv map saved, I began rigging my mesh and when I finished that. I exported the .dae and imported it into second life

when I uploaded the uv map that I had saved earlier, the uv map is repositioned incorrectly

Hi, Sanjaria;

This sounds to me like you use the term UV Map for something else. You neither can save a UV Map separately from its mesh (with Blender). Nor can you upload UV Maps separately from meshes to SL.

Can it be that you actually mean UV Texture, which is an image?

However i am not sure what you did when you "got the UV by just selecting my mesh and then saved it." What exactly did you save here? And how did you do that?

Some pictures of what you call UV Map and how this is misplaced in SL might be helpful.

Sanjaria wrote:

Okay here's my process

I made the mesh in marvelous designer with the "Unified UV Coordinates" check box checked

To convert the tris to quads I used Zbrush and still managed to unwrap the UV in zbrush

when I imported the mesh into blender, I got the UV by just selecting my mesh and then saved it.

Once I had the uv map saved, I began rigging my mesh and when I finished that. I exported the .dae and imported it into second life

when I uploaded the uv map that I had saved earlier, the uv map is repositioned incorrectly

What Gaia said, plus, unless i'm mistaken, using zbrush is fine but creates a new mesh and doesn't preserve the UV layout.  With Marvelous designer, if you upload the tri model, having used Unified UV Coordinates, the pattern layout in MD *IS* the UV map but you're destroying that when you go via zbrush.

(Someone more familiar with zbrush may be able to correct me here if what i've just said is junk)

In Blender, I also believe that you're going into the texture window and just doing "Export UV map" (or whatever the menu option is).

My suggestion is that after any editing (including zbrush remesher), you're going to need to UV Unwrap following the normal process.  Without some work though, you're going to lose the MD pattern layout = UV  map relationship that you began with but you can get back to that.

Plenty of tutorials on UV unwrapping, this isn't meant to point out the obvious but pick ones which work for you https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blender+uv+unwrapping+tutorial

Sassy Romano wrote:

In Blender, I also believe that you're going into the texture window and just doing "Export UV map" (or whatever the menu option is).

You mean the option Export UV Layout in the UV Image Editor. The UV Layout is a human readable visualization of the UV Map using a 2 dimensional wireframe image. The UV Layout can be used as a guide for colorising your image textures within a 2D image editor but has no other relevance (as far as i know).

Sorry if i sound a little bit picky here, but keeping the terms right is important to avoid confusion :matte-motes-wink:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.