Anyone know if LL plans to update their default AVs?

Zalandria Zaius

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4642 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm kind of hoping they put a set of new default AV's that we can download with proper feet and UV mapping(No more one armed maps) and facial morphs and skin layers etc etc...Ohh and some basic mesh clothing. I don't care if they just add proper feet to the old av's and  just add the other arm to the uv map.

I realize we'll be able to make our own but would be really nice if they put one up we could all grab and test out clothing and attachments on. Otherwise it's gonna be a nightmare trying to dress ourselves.

I know a lot to ask and will mess up some markets but I don't really wanna be stuck wearing one designers clothing.

I don't know about LL doing it, but I made a mesh avatar with all the toes and separate UV maps for each limb (even individually texturable finger and toenails).  Facial morphs and skin layers are not part of the mesh release.  I have one clothing item imported so far, and more now that the problem with texture maps not showing has been fixed.

You will not be stuck wearing one designer's clothing (or skin).  I plan to release this avatar geometry & UV Maps for skin designers to use and make their own skin textures.  There are people way better than me in doing skinss.  Any clothing attachments will work (prim, sculpt, mesh, or a combination) as long as the clothing maker has an example of the avatar to test against.  As long as they do a reasonable job of vertex weighting the clothing it will adapt to the avatar motions.  Mesh avatars and mesh clothes both use the same bone system as the existing default avatars do, so they don't have to be made by the same person.

Yeah but the AV maps will all be different. I don't know if the mesh people will want to release their meshes for testing clothing and such and then there is the whole fight about who's Avatar do we want to base our clothing on.

It'll work out in the end, but it's gonna be a cluster right at first with them not releasing an updated default set of AV's.

Then there are people like me who won't want to use anyone's mesh's just from the headache of copyrights issues and the problems if Mesh creator A gets fed up and leaves SL.

It's not a show stopper, just a nuisance.

IMHO i believe the problem you are talking about is one of the beauties of mesh, that things are different and not standardized. If that was the case we would have what we have now, it would just be a mesh avatar.

I would think it would be easy to work one of two ways either you will have people that will be creating avatars and clothes and skins from one creator that would be kinda like his/her trademark it will be a separator of good and bad content so to speak, when people start buying and preferring one certain "brand".

Or you will have people that will be creating "base avatar kits" that would include the avatar shape and UVmaps  and maybe even shape points if we get to that or just alternate shapes or facial expressions, such that actually seller could use it as his much like build kits are now that you see on the marketplace for shoes or clothes or whatever. 

But one thing for sure having some sort of standard avatar would be very limiting for content creators.

This is not to say that creating avatar 2.0 wouldn't be a good idea cause its not creating just a standard avatar, cause if it achieves what it seems people are looking for with it, it will have a whole new bone structure and ability to change scale of skeleton along with all the other improvements of the base avatar mesh we have now. Which would give us even more freedom to create much different shapes human and non-human as well as avatar vehicles and such.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4642 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.