Animation in Maya, hip does move.

BigFetus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4290 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, this is more about animation and uploading animations, but I was told I might have better luck here, so...

This is the skeleton I'm using to try to animate. http://abbloch.com/slmaya/skeleton.ma

I'm using a script for exporting as a BHV that I found on this forums, but I can't find it now, or I'd give a link to the post.

Well, basically, my issue now is that in my animation, the hip moves around. The character jumps up and back, the hip twists some, jumps forward. The arms, legs, body, and neck move around and such too. But, when I upload the animation to SL, one of two things happens. Either the hip just stays still the entire time and only the arms, legs, body, and neck move and twist, or the hip twists the entire body to float and lean to the left about 45 degrees for about half the animation, then the other half of the animation it returns to the neutral position while everything else moves around it, still never actually moving the hip.

I've tried renaming bones. I renamed them all based on a hierarchy I also found here on forums, and it didn't help. I've tried only changing the mPelvis to hip, and that's when this started. Before that, I couldn't even upload the animation.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure what you've been using, but if you explore that same web directory (my website, by the way) where you got the skeleton, you'll find an animation rig, provided by Orion Neville and Alexia Mechanique.  Be sure to read the readme file, for instructions on installation and usage.

The only issue with it is a bug where the animation will sometimes fail if the pelvis is rotated backwards.  So, if you want the avatar to fall flat on its back or something, you may be have to fiddle with it for a bit to get it to work as expected.  Other than that, it should be fine.

As for the problem you've been having, my guess is it's either a keyframing issue, or a transforms issue.  You probably have keyframes or transformations on joints where you don't actually wnat them. Follow the instructions for the rig, to the letter, and you should be able to avoid those kinds of troubles.

The above assumes the rig and the export script are compatible with your version of Maya, of course.  I've only tested with Maya 7 up through Maya 2009.  I don't have anything newer.

• 4 months later...

I have the same problem, i read the doc that came with the files. Hip just doesnt animate in SL whatever im doing. Hope you have figured out something to get this working.

Another problem with this whole toolset is that I havent been able get the script working with anything else but this rig.

this rig is pretty hard to use if you are planning to make a non human avatar where you need to offset joints a lot. Now that we have mesh and all we are able to do anything if we had the tools to do it.. im trying to make a workaround that would be compatible with this rig. What i do is i use the human rig to control another non human skeleton as a reference.

In fairness, this system was put together more than six years ago, and it was pretty hacky, even then.  I haven't used it myself in many years.  I know for a fact I was able to make the pelvis move, but don't ask me to try to remember how, sorry.

As for the script only working with the included rig, it was meant to be a packaged system.  Animation in SL was a brand new thing at the time.  Joint offsets didn't come along until six years later.  With that in mind, it's hardly surprising that the rig isn't quite set up for that kind of thing.

That said, I would imagine Alexia's BVH export script would work with any rig you'd care to throw at it, if you run it on its own, rather than as part of the incorporated package.  It was originally posted here, if you want to grab it.  I'd be curious to hear how you make out with it, so I do hope you'll report back.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4290 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.