Advice on learning to design.

niicholaiblack

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I'm brand new to Second Life as a whole.  Just now installing it as I keep hearing it is great and have decided to check it out.  I've also been told there's some pretty good money to be made via designing items which requires 3D work.  I came across this information originally as I'm pretty well off with Photoshop and a friend recommended I deisgn my own items so I woul have really cool gear and such without having to pay for it.  But, now I'm interested in the commerce side of this whole thing.

Now here's my question: where do I start?  Do you have any personal recommendations as far as "I think /this/ particular website/YouTube channel/etc has the best tutorials."  Do you have any recommendations as far as software goes (I have Blender installed and watching YouTube videos as I write this)?

I've never really looked into 3D design but it seems fun from what I have seen of it thus far.  So pretty much I'm just looking for general advice, wanting to see how you guys got your start, and see which direction you would point a wanting to learn newbie in.

Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, etc. that any of you offer.

Hope you guys have a great day!

-Niicho

niicholaiblack wrote:

[ .... ]

I've never really looked into 3D design but it seems fun from what I have seen of it thus far.  [ .... ]

-Niicho

Yes, you definitely got that part right.  It is fun and personally rewarding.  Don't expect to make gobs of money doing it, though.  If you are a design  professional, you can make a lot more money doing the same work outside SL.  If you're just starting, the first lesson will be patience.  The learning curve for 3D modeling tools is fairly steep.  Add to that the task of learning how to get around in SL -- both technically and culturally -- and you have a lot of work ahead.  Finally, when you go to sell your work, you will be competing in the marketplace with other creators who have figured these things out in their own way.

I'm not laying that picture out there to be gloomy but to be sure you aren't overly rosy-eyed.  Those of us who create in SL do it because we can't resist creating things.  It IS fun, whether we earn money at it or not.  If that's your motivation too, welcome to the club.  You'll have a ball. 

Personally, I came to SL as a retired chemist/academic administrator over seven years ago, with no design experience at all. This has been a wonderful learning experience and a chance to develop a side of myself that I never dared fiddle with earlier (or had the time for).  I created things for over two years before finally getting consistent quality that people were willing to pay for, and even now don't put myself in the same class as the really great designers I see around me every day.  My own rule is that I make things that I like, not things that will sell. If other people like them too, I am pleased and even a little amazed.

There are a ton of excellent tutorials on the Internet and Google is your friend.  For SL-relevant things, though, I recommend wading through Gaia Clery's resources at machinimatrix.org.  Focus on learning basic skills with Blender -- the tool most 3D people use in SL -- and on sharpening your Photoshop skills.  Use the beta grid for experimentation (it's FREE) and use local textures instead of uploading a ton of permanent textures at L$10 a pop. And keep lurking here and asking specific questions as they come up.  This forum is a wealth of expertise.

• Like 2

It is fun. It can also be highly addictive so you better beware!

I'm going to be a bit old-fashioned here and recommend you start at the Ivory Tower:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Natoma/210/164/27

That's the place to start learning to build with prims.

Some people will tell you that prim building is out now that we have mesh. I don't agree with them (even if I'm a mesh expert myself) but even they will admit that prims are an excellent way to start 3D modelling.

• Like 1

SL isn't a bad place to start, since it gives you some goals you might want to work towards and learn with ("hmm, time to build a house, hmm, I wonder how I'd make a shoe..."). But yea, if your goal is to make 3d content and sell it for realbux, once you've gotten the hang of things you'd probably be much better off taking it to one of the model-selling websites out there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For someone just starting out I want to say that yes, it does become fun, once you learn the basics.

The other important thing I want to say is, YOU are your biggest obstacle.

Everyone is born with an instinct to run away from an intimidating situation. If it overwhelms you enough you'll likely end up quiting or running away from it. Its not our fault its just the way we are made.

Fitting against your urge to quit is key in learning how to 3D Model because Rolig is right, it can be fairly steep to learn 3D modeling. But it can be the most rewarding decision you make for yourself. I started learning back in 2003 on 3ds Max 6, I took what I learned there and then learned Cinema 4D and when I tried Blender it wasn't a problem learning it. 

The skills you learn from learning to 3D Model will open doors to an enormous amount of money making opportunity's for you, and new ones are popping up everyday. 

One more thing, be sure to ASK questions there are short cuts for doing complicated things in 3D Modeling that makes it allot easier.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.