3ds max?

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I see that autodesk has affordable subscriptions for mudbox and now also for 3ds max. which one is best for creating and or editing mesh and creating UV maps for my SL products?

I have shoes that I need to edit for example, and I want to make my own mesh fingernails and clothing and Ill need to be able to texture paint skin onto the avatar and export the skins I make.

Advice?

Tenly

(Edited: LOL I should never reply to a post right after I wake up.  A good source for modeling programs is STEAM.  If funds are low and you are just starting out I suggest Silo 2 to make your mesh and then use RoadKill to create your UVs.  3D Coat is awesome and it is also available at steam.  Silo 2 and 3D Coat are not a subscription base though there are modeling programs there that are.  3D Coat will do everything you are looking except for rigging.  Silo2 is just for making and editing mesh. Blender is FREE but be warned it is the most difficult to learn out of all the modeling programs I have mentioned but it will do everything you are looking for.  If you go the Blender route I would highly recommend getting Avastar plugin which is made for the SL avatar.)

Before you pay for a subscription you may want to try a FREE program called RoadKill.
There is a stand alone version I believe as well as a plugin for 3DS Max though might only be for windows.

Here is where you can get it:

http://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk/page8.htm

Hope that helps. :)
Cathy

I would say go for Blender for the Mac.

If the choice is between Mudbox and 3ds Max, definitely go for 3ds Max. Mudbox is great for fooling around, making high poly models which you can "trace" in a program like 3ds Max, editing your 3ds Max creations in high poly for normal map baking and (which is what I use it for mostly) 3d painting. For creating game assets it is pretty much useless by itself.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.