suddenly no sales?

Cammy Snowbear

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hello

I kinda hesitated to talk about it but here we go.

i ve been creating cloth back than.

recently i came across a girl who told me i shouldn' t have. and just need to upgrade and sell them as solo pieces instead of full outfits as i did long ago.

so i reworked a few clothings and created new ones as well. and she seemed to be right every day was a sale or more.

well needless to say suddenly since i would say 1,5 -2 weeks now? not 1 single sale. while there were quite many before. which makes me a bit speechless and pondering if i should go on. or maybe people dont want it or etc etc. many crazy ideas running through my merchant head. lol

any ideas?

is just after Xmas. So it could just be that people are not buying as much stuff bc their credit cards limits (xmas spend) are a bit full at the moment. Everybody be getting their credit cards bills about now

so suggest to give it a bit more time and review again in February

Yeah, january, february are the slowest month of the year usually. And for SL, the last december was the worst month in years for me.

There might be a few other reasons at play here as well. Perhaps the majority of people who are interested in your products, have bought them already. Constantly bringing new stuff may help in that regard.

The other reason might be that the Next Gen Platform is getting closer, and people aren't willing to spend as much on this platform, with the new world on the horizon.

It's at least my take on it, all of the above together. But we have to wait and see, how things are going in march, april. Although, my expectations aren't to high actually.

arton Rotaru wrote:

Yeah, january, february are the slowest month of the year usually. And for SL, the last december was the worst month in years for me.

There might be a few other reasons at play here as well. Perhaps the majority of people who are interested in your products, have bought them already. Constantly bringing new stuff may help in that regard.

The other reason might be that the Next Gen Platform is getting closer, and people aren't willing to spend as much on this platform, with the new world on the horizon.

It's at least my take on it, all of the above together. But we have to wait and see, how things are going in march, april. Although, my expectations aren't to high actually.

I beg to differ, Arton. January and February are usually some of my best months, and for others as well. It is usually the summer months that fall off a bit.

Hey Med,

well in real life retail sales statistics, January; February are usually the weakest month of the year. With Feb the weakest. At least that's the case for Germany. Maybe somebody has some current metrics of the SL economy? AFAIK, LL is hiding those since years though. But I wouldn't be too surprised if the SL market would show similar data.

Some may do better than others at times, indeed. It's why I mentioned, "for SL, the last December was the worst month in years, for me". I bet some christmas tree sellers made the most money in this period of time. :matte-motes-smile:

what i dont get is. at beginning there were at least 2 sales or more every day. never without. which makes less sense. if there would be none at start either i could understand. maybe its the products etc. althought people kept saying its good. 

so i really dont get what is going on there or if its worth to keep creating stuff. when there is suddenly such stoppage.

Cammy Snowbear wrote:

what i dont get is. at beginning there were at least 2 sales or more every day. never without. which makes less sense. if there would be none at start either i could understand. maybe its the products etc. althought people kept saying its good. 

so i really dont get what is going on there or if its worth to keep creating stuff. when there is suddenly such stoppage.

Not to pick on you, at all, just pointing out the obvious, from a 8 year merchant in SL that makes content full time. You don't have enough data to affectively analyze the market. Markets are like waves in the ocean. Some times they're tall and rough, and some times they are small and consistent. As a merchant, you can see the market fluctuations better, when you have more data to measure it by, meaning you need more products. I'm very big into studying economics, so, when I started, the first thing I did, was put my head down the first year and made somewhere in the range of 5000 animations the first year. Yeah, I know, that is like a crazy amount of animations per day. That gave me a great base to really steer my business and gave me enough data to pick and choose where I should spend my time.

So, basically, just keep creating, and once you have a decent base, then you can start analyzing things.

arton Rotaru wrote:

Hey Med,

well in real life retail sales statistics, January; February are usually the weakest month of the year. With Feb the weakest. At least that's the case for Germany. Maybe somebody has some current metrics of the SL economy? AFAIK, LL is hiding those since years though. But I wouldn't be too surprised if the SL market would show similar data.

Some may do better than others at times, indeed. It's why I mentioned, "for SL, the last December was the worst month in years, for me". I bet some christmas tree sellers made the most money in this period of time. :matte-motes-smile:

Hey Arton,

I have no idea why you would drop in sales during the winter months, if anything, I would think you would do better, but I don't have intimate knowledge of everything you make and their markets. Generally speaking tho, from what I saw when we did have stats, the worst time for sales in SL is about mid summer, likely because more people are outside running around. I have intimate knowledge of the debate tho, because I argued for years there was no summer decline. I was wrong. My problem was that my business had never seen a decline, up until a few years ago, so how the hell could I have ever see the summer decline. I admit now tho, I was wrong.

All that said, I'm hearing terrible sale figures from pretty much all real world businesses for the holiday season, so I would not be surprised if there was some decline in SL also. For me tho, over the past almost 2 month, I've seen an easy 10% increase, or more, and I've only put out about 6 new products last year. A couple are kind of hot tho. I've been spending much more time making Unity products the past year, hoping the new LL world will accept those FBX files when it opens.

Cammy Snowbear wrote:

New items appear at the top of search when if you search by newest first, and I believe get a boost for relevance for a short time, after that wares off if sales don't keep it higher in search then it's going to be hard to find, especially for a very competitive market like clothing.  Keep making new items to get your store higher in new item searchs, and may be try taking out some listing enhancements for your older items.

I personally believe its not JUSt the month of the year, also another factors contributes to this, specially the big quantity of freebies in MP that LL allows for years now, a terrible monthly incresing number, this plus the big Gacha mode where people egts good products for only a range of 10/25L and others too

We ( a merchants gorup) had opened a JIRA again aobut this issue today, please chekc it up and vote if you feel inclined too

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-8276

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-8275

Just wanted to say that my sales have been very good this month -- much better than normal. So it likely depends a lot on what you sell.  I make niche market items, most often things that I make for myself or my sim that I cannot find to buy. Hence less compitition.

There are always ups and downs in business and in SL in general. Right now my sales are up but my fashion - design blog stats are much lower than normal. So THAT might be an indication that folks have enough clothes and homewares in general and simply aren't shopping for those things.

Marina Ramer wrote:

... the big quantity of freebies in MP that LL allows ..

We ( a merchants gorup) had opened a JIRA again aobut this issue ...

i read you JIRA

i dont get it

are you saying that 0$ items should be excluded from my general searches of MP when I ask it to give me a list of say: red sneakers

and that I have to opt in every time to include any 0$ that might be also found? Or worse have to do 2 searchs for red sneakers? One for 0$ and another for >$0 ??

if so then I disagree with you. I am the customer. The search is for me to use as a customer in ways that works best for me. To find stuff that I want

Is not a channeling tool for the shopkeepers who actual dont pay any rent for their online stores. And dont pay any commission fees either. I pay that fee everytime I buy something. The shopkeeper pays nothing

+

so if I dont want 0$ stuff to come up in my general search then I will filter that out using the tickboxes on the left of the page

Relevance is basically the same as 'best selling'. If you sell an item  some days in a row it will apprear high on relevance and best selling, after that it drops back to the bottom of the pile (if it's a new product). New listings will not get any boost in relevance (as it's the same as best selling - 3 days). Also listing enhancements will not boost relevance at all, a freebie has just as a high chance of appearing on the top pages as your listing with payed ernhancements. 

What I am trying to say is that the algorithms on the MP are a joke and never worked fair. The fact that freebies are counted as sold items in the search pages and pop up at 'best selling' is a good hint.

agree about the Relevance. It dont seem to work very well for me. Maybe works for others. dunno

+

about the Best Selling

if as a shopkeeper then what is useful to know is:

1) are your products selling as well as other shopkeepers/competitors products in your own projected sale price range
2) and are you offering products that are competing on price with similar products of same quality that are cheaper in price including 0$

+

if 0$ products heartache any shopkeeper then I suggest they filter them out in their own searches. Same as the customers do who are not interested in 0$ stuff

if want to promote your visibility then suggest to buy a Featured Item addy

+

just add a own experience as a shopper on the cheap end

with mesh clothes (other than giftees from established creators)  pretty much most stuff offered for 0$ has a noticeable flaw in it

if your stuff isnt flawed in some way then 0$ is no threat to your business

what is a threat to you is offering stuff for say 100L (marked down from your usual say 300L) bc it does have a flaw in it. 100L for a flawed mesh item is not a bargain. Not for the shopper anyways. They wont come back for another flawed item. For 0$ sure maybe. 100L or 10L even. no chance

Cammy, I don't know if there's anything to it, but I just looked at your products and my first response was 'Oh these are nice!' followed by 'but they won't work for Maitreya'.

Looking at your timescale, is it possible that the drop was about the time Maitreya came out, and perhaps, since, many potential customers are lured to sellers that cater for that body too? Just a thought.

*favourites one to keep an eye out in case you DO indeed add Maitreya*

irihapeti wrote:

Marina Ramer wrote:

Is not a channeling tool for the shopkeepers who actual dont pay any rent for their online stores. And dont pay any commission fees either. I pay that fee everytime I buy something.
The shopkeeper pays nothing

Actually the shopkeeper pays the fee to LL.. The customer pays no fees to LL to buy something.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

irihapeti wrote:

Marina Ramer wrote:

Is not a channeling tool for the shopkeepers who actual dont pay any rent for their online stores. And dont pay any commission fees either. I pay that fee everytime I buy something.

Actually the shopkeeper pays the fee to LL.. The customer pays no fees to LL to buy something.

is a consumption fee. No consumption. No fee

irihapeti wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

irihapeti wrote:

Marina Ramer wrote:

is a consumption fee. No consumption. No fee

The customer does NOT pay a fee to LL when they buy from the MP using $L they already have. We merchants pay 5% to LL for every sale over $10L.

irihapeti wrote:

pay as in pay for the service

when nobody buys anything from the shopkeeper then is no fee to pay

if shopkeeper had to pay rent or a product listing fee then can say the shopkeeper pays (for the service). But they dont so customers pays

You really don't understand how things work.. The customer BUYS things from merchants.. The merchants PAY fees to LL. Many merchants do PAY for product listings. The customer is not PAYING  anything to LL.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

irihapeti wrote:

if shopkeeper had to pay rent or a product listing fee then can say the shopkeeper pays (for the service). But they dont so customers pays

You really don't understand how things work.
. The customer BUYS things from merchants.. The merchants PAY fees to LL. Many merchants do PAY for product listings. The customer is not PAYING  anything to LL.

Okay, let's see here...

Marketplace transaction - Customer pays Linden Labs, who then take a cut and then give the rest to the putative "merchant".

Afterwards - customer has FEWER Lindens.

Linden Lab has MORE Lindens.

Merchant has MORE Lindens.

So, who's "paying" again?

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

irihapeti wrote:

. The customer BUYS things from merchants.. The merchants PAY fees to LL. Many merchants do PAY for product listings. The customer is not PAYING  anything to LL.

Okay, let's see here...

Marketplace transaction - Customer pays Linden Labs, who then take a cut and then give the rest to the putative "merchant".

You must have missed the beginning where they said the merchant pays nothing to LL the customer pays for everything. They customer is buying something, they are getting a product for their $L. The merchant is paying LL a 5% cut of each sale for? a poorly set up and maintained Marketplace? one filled with freebies and spam? where you have to use Boolean filters to get rid of DEMOS? a MP where listing enhancements are random? Yeah.. totally worth it.

• Customer buys an item in world and pays $200L 
  • Customer gets the product
  • Merchant receives $200L  
  • Customer buys an item on MP and pays $200L 
  • Customer gets the product
  • Merchant receives $190L  

It is the Merchant who paid the fee, not the customer.  The only way the customer would have paid would be if they paid $210L for the item which is not allowed by the LL terms which forbid pricing the dress higher than the inworld price.  If LL wanted the customer to pay the fee they would allow merchants to increase the cost by an amount equal to the fee.

The fee is overhead for the merchant in the same way any other cost of doing business is, such as upload fees, and the costs of anything the merchant buys to make the item which all come out of gross profit.  A merchant doesn't make any money (net profit) unless the gross profit exceeds the overhead.  Many merchants don't make enough gross profit to cover their expenses and have to pay out of their own pocket for any losses.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

irihapeti wrote:

Okay, let's see here...

You must have missed the beginning where they said the merchant pays nothing to LL the customer pays for everything. They customer is buying something, they are getting a product for their $L. The merchant is paying LL a 5% cut of each sale for? a poorly set up and maintained Marketplace? one filled with freebies and spam? where you have to use Boolean filters to get rid of DEMOS? a MP where listing enhancements are random? Yeah.. totally worth it.

Then don't use it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.