Why do no copy/ transfer items cost less

BuffyDavis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

then copy/ no transfer? I found a pose ball for $100 that is no copy/ transfer then the same pose ball for $300 that is copy/ no transfer. I really wanted 2 of them for the pool but I'm not going to pay $300 I would pay $200 though.

I would think a person could make a pretty good business out of buying low cost transfer items then selling high. They could keep buying it over and over and selling it making money off the creators work.  Which is a bad thing I know. Why do the people that buy the item copy/ no transfer have to pay more when it's not going to be sold ever?

I would have thought the price would be the other way around as a deterrent to keep people from buying it again over and over selling the item at a much higher price. If I were going to sell something that was transfer, I would put a high price on it where as the next person that would try to sell it to make a profit, the price would appear so unreasonably high that the chances of it being sold would be very slim. It wouldn't be worth their time to buy it.

then copy/ no transfer? I found a pose ball for $100 that is no copy/ transfer then the same pose ball for $300 that is copy/ no transfer. I really wanted 2 of them for the pool but I'm not going to pay $300 I would pay $200 though.

I would think a person could make a pretty good business out of buying low cost transfer items then selling high. They could keep buying it over and over and selling it making money off the creators work.  Which is a bad thing I know. Why do the people that buy the item copy/ no transfer have to pay more when it's not going to be sold ever?

I would have thought the price would be the other way around as a deterrent to keep people from buying it again over and over selling the item at a much higher price. If I were going to sell something that was transfer, I would put a high price on it where as the next person that would try to sell it to make a profit, the price would appear so unreasonably high that the chances of it being sold would be very slim. It wouldn't be worth their time to buy it.

The resale rate on things isn't quite what you might expect it to be. Yes someone could, in theory, buy it and resell it at a profit. Some people do just that. Creators know this and take that into consideration when setting permissions. Not nearly as many people actually do this, as you think. Likely because someone can, very easily, find the same product they are selling, for less. There isn't as big of a market for resellers, anymore. They exist, but not on as large of a scale. The profit margin is still pretty slim for resellers in most areas.

As for why the cost is different for copy/no trans, it is because that product can be rezzed as many times as you want. Let's say you own land and have rentals. You can buy furniture that is copy/no trans, once, and be able to rez it in every property you have. For some, that can be a lot of properties and a lot of use of that product, hence the higher cost. At least this is what some creators who use that perm have said is their deciding factor. There is also the whole, you won't lose the product because it's copy, so if something happens, you can rez a new one, factor. I'm sure there are other reasons as well. Merchants typically have a reason for the permissions they set. I am sure someone will come along with another reason, or two.

s Ima said, it's because multiple copies of the item can be rezzed, therefore you need to pay more for that facility.

Your idea of buying low and selling high doesn't work because the no copy perm can't be changed by the buyer to the copy perm. A person could try to sell the no copy item high, of course, but if the customer looks around it can be seen that it's a rip-off.

• 3 weeks later...

In your example, it sounds like it's cheaper to buy two no-copy versions than to buy the copy version and make two copies. And you're right - in that specific case. But what if you had a really large pool? What if you wanted a dozen copies? If you get the copy version, you can potentially make as many copies as you want. That's why it costs slightly more. Your specific needs are not necessarily identical to the needs of every other person.

• 2 weeks later...

With the way SL is, I wouldn't buy anything that I wanted to be a permament fixture as no copy. I remember there was a time SL was eating all of my no copy stuff upon me rezzing it. If your items were returned to you and something went wrong, then you would be out of luck on that item.

The reselling idea wouldn't work (unless maybe if it was a gatcha item) because all people would have to do is go look to see who created the item, and then purchase from that person.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.