TFHT: Why the Adult Word List is Private

Darrius Gothly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3327 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

*TFHT : Tin-Foil Hat Theory

Many of us have run afoul of LL's infamous "Secret List of Adult Words". I'd wager serious sums of real money that more than 90% of those frustrated by its inaccuracy and secrecy have discovered so-called "words" that trigger an Adult or Mature rating even though they are innocuous and unrelated.

Well, I'm here today to tell you WHY Linden Lab keeps the list secret: It's because they haven't a clue what words are Adult / Mature and which aren't.

Yup! You heard me right. You see they use a Pattern Matching system to detect those naughty disallowed words. Unfortunately they have little to no clue how to write good patterns. Nor are they much interested in fixing "errors" in those patterns. They just throw some wildcard laced patterns into the matching engine and walk away happy.

They can't publish a list because one does not exist. They haven't a clue what words or combinations of letters might match in the future, and they sure haven't a clue what words or names that Merchants might use, so they've taken a "quick-n-dirty" method out and as a result produced a system that is flawed, confusing, wasteful and ineffecient.

BTW: This is why LL doesn't have a list of keywords that can be used on the Marketplace. Big lists of words require time to assemble. Time and attention to detail are not things that typify a lot of CTL's efforts. After all, look at how many low-hanging simple and highly requested features are still left as "will not implement".

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3327 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.