Selling mixed mesh products

Dirtnap Mumfuzz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A long-time friend and co-creator has given me access to a variety of mesh products she created, with permissions to sell them as parts of finished builds, or as-is if I so choose.

I choose to use them only in builds, as opposed to reselling, out of respect for her hard work.

I cannot however create the listings  on SLMP using the option for mixed mesh products until I provide all of the necessary qualifications to upload mesh.

At no time am I attempting to pass these off as my uploads, they even still carry her name. They were given to me by their creator.

Is this the way it is supposed to work? Because it seems rather foolish to expect anyone in possession of a legitimately-acquired mesh product to have to meet the terms for uploading meshes they did not upload, in order to sell them.

Why does it seem that it is necessary to qualify for uploading mesh in order to sell full-perm mesh recieved as a gift?

Something seems skewed and/or inappropriate about this apparent restriction.

Should I bother mentioning that LL already had previous payment info on file (before I cancelled pay-account status, due to not using SecondLife enough to justify the cost) and I have already taken the IP quiz and passed, and still cannot sell my mixed mesh constructions?

Their world their rules.  Lindens don't post here, so you won't find an answers here .  Really the only way to find out their reasoning is to ask them directly.

I don't know the reason but perhaps it is a liability issue for them since they own and control the MP where as they can't control your actions in world as easily.  In the case of people with no payment info on file they have no verified RL information and perhaps fear being held liable in some way if some one is selling illegal mesh and are unable to give RL information to authorities.

If the only problem is putting payment info on file, then why not do that?  If you are not a premium member nothing will be charged to you without your authorization, unless you have foolishly given out your password or fell for  a phishing scheme.   I've had PIOF for almost six years and have never had a problem with unauthorized charges.

No, it's not meant to work like that but, yes, that is the way it does work.  LL said the test/PIOF restriction would be on u[loading mesh but for whatever reason they also make it impossible to list mesh on marketplace.  There are so many things wrong with marktetplace anyway that it's hardly a priority.  Just don't select a 'mesh' option, use the text to explain that it is.  So you can still sell in-world, as you say, and on marketplace anyway.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

In the case of people with no payment info on file they have no verified RL information and perhaps fear being held liable in some way if some one is selling illegal mesh and are unable to give RL information to authorities.

Amethyst, I don't think that makes sense.  If LL promptly removes content upon receipt of a DMCA notification, then they have no liability for infringement, and no need for RL information about the person who put it up.  

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

In the case of people with no payment info on file they have no verified RL information and perhaps fear being held liable in some way if some one is selling illegal mesh and are unable to give RL information to authorities.

Amethyst, I don't think that makes sense.  If LL promptly removes content upon receipt of a DMCA notification, then they have no liability for infringement, and no need for RL information about the person who put it up.  

What really doesn't make sense is that LL didn't ask for any proof of ID, only of payment details.  I could have given them ID, I can't give them payment details they will accept, since they're so weird about that anyway.

Dirtnap Mumfuzz wrote:

@ amethyst: as mentioned, payment info is already on file.

Sorry,  I missunderstood your statement that "LL already had previous payment info on file (before I cancelled pay-account status, due to not using SecondLife enough to justify the cost) "

I don't understand the problem then if you have PIOF and passed the test.

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Doesn't make sense to me either but when has common sense had anythingto do with things here? LOL.

• 3 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.