'See Item In Second Life' should mean just that!

Crim Mip

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There is something that will almost certainly cost you a sale. If I click the 'See Item' link, get the SLURL and it turns out to lead to an empty rental sim or worse a no longer existing location. That tells me you don't care enough about your customers to keep this updated or remove the link if needed.

The other thing that might well also cost a sale is if your See Item link just takes me to your inworld vendor.

See Item should be just that. I want to see a rezzed version of that item at the very least. A demo of said item is even better. I don't want to have to wander all over a 10 story store looking for it either. Lose the landing point and use accurate links or use a demo rezzer near the landing point.

If you can't do these things, don't put the link in your listing.

Crim Mip wrote:

There is something that will almost certainly cost you a sale. If I click the 'See Item' link, get the SLURL and it turns out to lead to an empty rental sim or worse a no longer existing location. That tells me you don't care enough about your customers to keep this updated or remove the link if needed.

The other thing that might well also cost a sale is if your See Item link just takes me to your inworld vendor.

See Item should be just that. I want to see a rezzed version of that item at the very least. A demo of said item is even better. I don't want to have to wander all over a 10 story store looking for it either. Lose the landing point and use accurate links or use a demo rezzer near the landing point.

This has been a real problem for Merchants.  For some you might call it laziness.  But there is no way for them to "bulk edit" SLURLs.  Which means they have to do every single listing individually.

I'm not excusing the fact they aren't doing it.  Just adding some understanding to the situation.

The ability to bulk edit the SLURLs has been requested many, many times.

There was also a proposal for a feature called Virtual Landmarks that would have eliminated the problem should a SLURL change.  It was discussed during User Group meetings and supposedly the Lindens thought it was a great idea but has been dead in the water ever since.

I agree, it's a pain for us.  I also understand what a pain it is for them.

You are making a requirement that can be difficult to meet in sl.

There can be different reasons to why people put in a link in the listing. Some customers expect that they can visit a store before buying, to make sure that it is not fraud, and other customers would like to see what else of items there is in the store and use the marketplace only as inspiration for their shopping.

It also costs money to have items on display in the store as a prim is very expensive in SL, and if it is a trader who has been many years in sl and has made a lot of goods over the years, then it can get quite expensive to have everything rezzed.

One can also say that with the small amount you pay for the goods in SL, then it is unfair to require to see it rezzed and I believe that it is a service that many can not meet economically.

You should see it as an online store. There are many internet stores that only have a warehouse and no business-room, yet people buy at these places, just based on some pictures.

What you can do is to ask the merchant to rezz a certain item for you. Many merchants are willing to do that.

I do agree though with that people should update and also shouldnt put in a link if they dont have a shop inworld.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Crim Mip wrote:

This has been a real problem for Merchants.  For some you might call it laziness.  But there is no way for them to "bulk edit" SLURLs.  Which means they have to do every single listing individually.

I'm not excusing the fact they aren't doing it.  Just adding some understanding to the situation.

The ability to bulk edit the SLURLs has been requested many, many times.

There was also a proposal for a feature called
that would have eliminated the problem should a SLURL change.  It was discussed during User Group meetings and supposedly the Lindens thought it was a great idea but has been dead in the water ever since.

I agree, it's a pain for us.  I also understand what a pain it is for them.

Thank you Perrie. 

I recently finished rearranging my store. I have the house sims location links more or less updated. It will take a while to get the rest updated.

Meanwhile, if I did everything everyone suggested lest I "lose sales" (or sometimes "loose sales") I would not sleep or eat. 

People think merchants go into a panic when the threat of lost sales is trotted out, but the actual amount of lost sales is insignificant, at least to me.   I have a large group of very understanding loyal customers who have some idea of how hard I work and are forgiving of things such as not having my links updated instantly.

Xzarina Demina wrote:

One can also say that with the small amount you pay for the goods in SL, then it is unfair to require to see it rezzed and I believe that it is a service that many can not meet economically.

One can certainly say that, but one might think the one who did, was doing themselves a disservice.  I can assure you that I would never ever buy a house, for example, without being able to walk through it and evaluate the quality of its build.  If you're selling houses, you have to expect that people will feel this way and facilitate the ability for them to do this.  No one is forced to do so, of course... but in no way is it unfair for a customer to pass something over if they can't see it for themselves.

Xzarina Demina wrote:

You should see it as an online store. There are many internet stores that only have a warehouse and no business-room, yet people buy at these places, just based on some pictures.

There's a huge difference.  In RL, there are ways to recoup your money if there's some sort of dispute... in SL, there simply isn't.

...Dres

Its not really true I only found this out due to the fact most of my items changed in rating and support was very helpful in telling me how to bulk edit my items.

When you go to manage listing you can click the box next to all the items you want to change. 

c0ac592844e369122dcc1b1caf4cb261.png

Then go down and change the drop down to edit and click go 

ca047863d09c9356300b8a3b561874b9.png

Then when you are in the edit listing page just click the box on the part you want to change then hit update.  Now all your selected items will get bulk updated.

38e60d227fbeb759e39a30029b3c93f5.png

Yes, the Virtual LM thing would be nice, but barring that, it ought to be possible for that location field to get the SLURL from a specific notecard inworld, especially if the proposed updates to the MP happen.

That said, it still doesn't take that much time overall to update one's listings. Sure for a store with several hundred items, but in most cases we're talking fewer than 30.  In 99% of the cases where this happens, the seller has the same out of date LM in their picks as well, you can't tell me that isn't pure lazyness and apathy. 

Yeah I can understand that and it would be great if there was a away to be able to update your listing to show where an item has been moved to.  

Maybe away to call up some basic functions of the marketplace listings in world.  Such as being able to stand next to the item in question bring up the listing and click set tp at my location.  All done in world prob not ideal if you have a lot of items and im not even sure how easy that would be to do.  

What would be your idea for doing it?

Would be great to find out what other people think not that it will make much of difference though.

It may not  "take much time" to update my 500+ listings (on a VERY slow website) but that is just one of many tasks involved in running my business. Every day I have to prioritize those tasks, and what you may think should have the top priority may not be what I decide most urgently needs attention. And there is always something.

Crim Mip wrote:

Yes, the Virtual LM thing would be nice, but barring that, it ought to be possible for that location field to get the SLURL from a specific notecard inworld, especially if the proposed updates to the MP happen.

That said, it still doesn't take that much time overall to update one's listings. Sure for a store with several hundred items, but in most cases we're talking fewer than 30.  In 99% of the cases where this happens, the seller has the same out of date LM in their picks as well, you can't tell me that isn't pure lazyness and apathy. 

jordanit0 wrote:

it would be great if there was a away to be able to update your listing to show where an item has been moved to.  

Maybe a way to call up some basic functions of the marketplace listings in world.  
Such as being able to stand next to the item in question bring up the listing and click set tp at my location.  All done in world prob not ideal if you have a lot of items and im not even sure how easy that would be to do.  

That's flipping BRILLIANT for people like Pamela who have a bazillion houses and furniture sets.  Finish setting up the display, call up the listing, click "Set TP Point" and it's DONE!

I have no clue how hard it would be to implement, but it's a winderful idea.

I totally understand what you are saying. :smileyfrustrated:

But the marketplace back-end is very very slow to use and if you have 100+ listings updating the SLURL can take several hours of work.

I personally would make sure I fixed all SLURLs. But there are many casual creators that just do it for fun.

I say yes, factor that into your buying decision definitely.....but also realise merchants are not doing it to you out of spite. :matte-motes-stress:

Mistakes happen. Land location changes. The marketplace listings interface does not easily allow merchants to make batch (broad) changes to listings, and i could imagine it is only harder with 1000's of listings.

I've noticed this myself as I opened in-world stores that got 0 traffic and therefore closed them and then had to go into each and every listing (waiting 20 seconds for SL to load it) to change the field, and I'm still finding ones I missed.

Sorry to lose your sale,but merchants aren't perfect, and the interface is not easy or quick to use to update listings.

Perhaps next time contact the merchant in-game professing your interest in a product,and maybe they can meet up with you to see it live,or point you to another resource.

No need to be going to harsh extremes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.