Revised TOS

Kenbro Utu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3539 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When LL changed the TOS last year with updated conditions about rights to content, it caused a major uproar with pages and pages of threats and hand wringing and predictions of theft by LL.  Well, the TOS has been changed again, pretty clearly spelling out that LL only has rights in as far as pertains to running the service.  I would think there would be celebration, or at the very least recognition of the changes.  

Kenbro Utu wrote:

When LL changed the TOS last year with updated conditions about rights to content, it caused a major
 with pages and pages of threats and hand wringing and predictions of theft by LL.  Well, the TOS has been changed again, pretty clearly spelling out that LL only has rights in as far as pertains to running the service.  I would think there would be celebration, or at the very least recognition of the changes.  

I haven't looked across the street at SLU to see what they are saying now.

But I do think a few things may be in play.

• People are still digesting it.
  • Overshadowed by the gambling stuff.
  • People just plum worn out.
  • It took so long to happen and the people who it may have affected the most (people doing contract work) are now long gone.

I'm glad to see the change but my response today is not as enthusiastic as it would have been if it had been fixed when it should have been fixed a year ago.

What may be partial reason for people not celebrating the new TOS is the wording is very hard to follow and understand if you are not a lawyer.

I started a topic in the General Discussion forum and a resident who said they were a lawyer responded but he hadn't read the latest revised TOS or at least that is what I think he said.  He was a bit hard to follow himself.

I asked him to read section 2.3 of the TOS and please explain it if LL really has limited what they can do with User Content.  Sadly he hasn't responded and I doubt he will.

Here's a link to my thread TOS A Sade Farewell.

What I get when I read the revised section 2.3 is LL is limiting what they can do with User Content to inside services owned by LL but then say except if we LL decide to do with it whatever we want inside LL services or out.

Part of section 2.3:

Except as otherwise described in any Additional Terms (such as a contest’s official rules) which will govern the submission of your User Content, you hereby grant to Linden Lab, and you agree to grant to Linden Lab, the non-exclusive, unrestricted, unconditional, unlimited, worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, and cost-free right and license to use, copy, record, distribute, reproduce, disclose, modify, display, publicly perform, transmit, publish, broadcast, translate, make derivative works of, and sell, re-sell or sublicense (through multiple levels)(with respect to Second Life, Inworld or otherwise on the Service as permitted by you through your interactions with the Service), and otherwise exploit in any manner whatsoever, all or any portion of your User Content (and derivative works thereof), for any purpose whatsoever in all formats, on or through any media, software, formula, or medium now known or hereafter developed, and with any technology or devices now known or hereafter developed, and to advertise, market, and promote the same. You agree that the license includes the right to copy, analyze and use any of your Content as Linden Lab may deem necessary or desirable for purposes of debugging, testing, or providing support or development services in connection with the Service and future improvements to the Service. The license granted in this Section 2.3 is referred to as the "Service Content License." 

The green highlighted section appears to be were LL is saying they are going to limit use of our User Content to services owned by LL but then immediately after, highlighted in red, says unless they decide to use it anyplace they choose in any manor outside services owned by LL.  Meaning they can sell User Content to anyone or any business in the world.

So it appears there is nothing to celebrate about the new TOS.

If anyone out there is a lawyer and can explain how agreeing to the revised TOS does not give LL full rights to anything content creators either create in SL or upload to SL please do so.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3539 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.