RUDE REVIEWS

Sarahbuxso

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, I know on SL reviews are probably needed, but honestly rude ones are not needed. I would stress that if you have something to say to the builder that you try to contact them first and then if you can't get a hold of them THEN write a review. It really damages a persons product and reputation!! Common, think FIRST and then post a review people!!!!!!!

I only saw one of your Marketplace items reviewed, and only one of the reviews wasn't a five-star one. It was a four-star one, and I saw nothing rude in it... the customer just stated that his/her avatar was smallish for the house size, and that the house wasn't modifiable to compensate. Is that the one you mean?

No no........ I was talking about someone I know, it just hurt me that someone reviewed him so poorly and his work is outstanding! He doesn't have that many products up and niether do I but honestly I think people should think a little before saying something that will make the product look bad. 

Right now, in my country, there are some RL cases where ppl left nasty bad reviews for Restaurants or Doctors ...

That´s the new world. Foul language is easy because they feel safe with hiding their identity. Big companies have mechanics to remove this bad reviews automatically. That isn´t real and fair but shows how serious the problem is.

I never give that much about reviews because i learned what they are worth - even the super duper ones are usually fakes.

One big problem is that people being mad more likely speak out their thoughts. Happy buyers just use the product and get on...

Monti

I wouldn't worry too much, Sarah. The more obnoxious the review is, the less it reflects on the merchant... rather it speaks badly of the reviewer. If I see a review of a rigged mesh hair complaining that the customer wasn't able to resize and/or reposition the hair, or of an awfully big, detailed castle that the customer wasn't able to rez on his 512m. plot, I only poorly judge the customer, not the creator.

It may be regrettable that morons project their stupidity onto others' endeavours, but at least there's that safeguard: discerning customers will also discern silly reviews.

Ren said most of it.

One thing you need to understand though is a customer has zero obligation to contact the merchant before leaving a review.  It is nice if they do, but not required. 

If the review of your friends product is out of line he can flag it.  He should comment on it first though to explain why its factually wrong, unless it really does violate communty standards with abuse.  LL may remove it.

Sarah, they are so many people that feels so good when they just ruins on purpose products of a person, some feels pleasure having fun and doing nice things, others does only by doing nasty things and trying to damage, as merchant you should know this. We are used to it, so many of us sadly. Linden in most of the cases does remove it, i would risk to say in 95% of the cases, and when they doesnt, and you feel the review is truly unfair and done on purpose, i usually contact other customers that bought and encourage them to leave me a true review on that product thye bought and usually after send them a nice gift card to do so, then the bad review is left behing and other good ones comes soon on top. Is best you can do, and most of all, dont let yourself being so hurted by it, happens to us all, many times done by a competition alt on purpose, and best way of facing with this is by fixing it and moving on :) Hugs!  hope it helps!

I've found that, more often than not, when I get a bad review and send a polite IM to the customer to sort things out they will end up either removing the review, or even changing it from 1 star to 5 stars. It doesn't work all the time, very much depends on the temperament of the reviewer. Sometimes they don't even respond to an IM even when I send them a replacement item that should meet their needs and expectations. But most of the time people are amenable, much more so now than years ago....maybe the residence of SL have matured (just thinking out loud here).

@ Monti - I used to think that items with lots of 5 stars were mainly fake reviews, but now I believe customers do often leave 5 star reviews if the item is very good. If the item just meets expectations they won't review it at all. It needs to be either way above expectation or way below. Also, the more popular items will sell very often, and so are more likely to get reviewed.

Also, your friend could actually use the rude review as an opportunity to enhance the shop's business image: nothing looks better than a rude customer being answered with a professional, polite and helpful attitude; this isolates the customer's rudeness as exclusively his problem, and makes other people think “wow, that seller is a pro”. This doesn't mean buckling to the rude customer and his unreasonable demands, nor having to swallow your pride... with some careful wording, it's often possible to make a firm rebuke without looking hostile :smileywink:

Ren Toxx wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much, Sarah. The more obnoxious the review is, the less it reflects on the merchant... rather it speaks badly of the reviewer. 

This is true but it IS still annoying and frustrating. 

People tend to only gather enough energy to leave a review when they are pissed off. If they are satisfied with the product 95% of people simply can't be bothered to leave a review.

This can lead to an unbalanced negative/positive review status.

Truth is, it's easier to "vent" than it is to talk to a merchant directly about issues they may have.

Another thing that I find frustrating is when people knock off stars or leave a low review because they think the price is too much. In my opinion, if they think the price was too much they should not buy it.

To buy it and then resent paying X amount and leave a review to reflect that is insane but as Toxx wrote this is the way of world in RL as well.

Amazon is good as Amazon will gently remind a customer via email to leave a review which means a much more realistic review system as more positive reviews are left.

Ebay seems to be Okay in the respect too.

Ideally, we as merchants should contact any customer and ask them if everything is okay but I am afraid not many people have time to do this. 

Ren Toxx wrote:

Also, your friend could actually use the rude review as an opportunity to enhance the shop's business image: nothing looks better than a rude customer being answered with a professional, polite and helpful attitude; this isolates the customer's rudeness as exclusively
his
problem, and makes other people think 
“wow, that seller is a pro”
. This doesn't mean buckling to the rude customer and his unreasonable demands, nor having to swallow your pride... with some careful wording, it's often possible to make a firm rebuke 
without
looking hostile :smileywink:

Good answer. I will remember this when I go straight into defense mode when I comment on an obnoxious review lol 

LillyBeth Filth wrote:

Amazon is good as Amazon will gently remind a customer via email to leave a review which means a much more realistic review system as more positive reviews are left.

Ideally, we as merchants should contact any customer and ask them if everything is okay but I am afraid not many people have time to do this. 

The problem with SL is that there are no means of getting money back if a product is faulty / rubbish / not as described or portrayed. LL's policy of refusing to intervene in resident disputes, including sales, means that there literally is no buyer protection, unlike on eBay or Amazon.

In this environment, I suppose it's not surprising that people who believe they've been 'shafted' see their only option of 'consumer justice' as being to punish the seller through a bad review. 

I believe you are wrong tihnking that way, as that happenes only on extreme cases when sellers are not seller or shop but a scam. On that spicific cases, yes what you said happenes and its very bad. But on the big mayority sellers are not evil, are good working people that if you just im them to ask whatever you need they gladly help, respond, refund or whatever needed to elave customer happy. So said this, there is no need at all for people to be nasty and dont contacting the seller at all and elaving a bad review directly, this i see as a very bad and low atitude that should be done only on specific cases when its a scan or a seller that truly is not nice and doesnt help. Sadly people do this everyday all the time, and no matter why. I believe they enjoy being bad and ruining products as well as they have zero idea what building a product means and how many real hours and hard work takes.

I'd rather give a customer's money back than get a bad review. I've often given refunds to customers even though my items are copy, and they never ask for a refund. I'd rather give a refund than have someone sit there feeling ripped off and unhappy. The problem is people don't IM before reviewing, and I know they don't have to, but if they only just spoke to a merchant before reviewing an item everyone may turn out happier in the end, and isn't that better? :). And of course reviewing is their backup weapon in case the IM doesn't go well.

LillyBeth Filth wrote:

Truth is, it's easier to "vent" than it is to talk to a merchant directly about issues they may have.

Another thing that I find frustrating is when
people knock off stars or leave a low review because they think the price is too much.
In my opinion, if they think the price was too much they should not buy it.

Yes!  Or they think it should have different perms, or in any number of ways should not be exactly as described!  If you do not like the price, or perms, or configuration, or what's included, or what's not included, just dont buy. But to say something like "I love this house, but I am giving it one star because it's not fully furnished" just begs the question why they bought it when it is very clear from the listing what the house does and does not include.

I would have to go with what Amethyst said, which was about flagging the review. I have flagged a couple of my rude reviews actually, and they have been removed before. I do admit though, i hate getting a rude or negative review, it really brings you down as the creator, especially in the cases where nothing can be done because the customer just didnt get what was expected. but some reviews that are negative can have some constructive critism to make the product better, in which a few cases i have done so.

Or my personal all times favourite: "I got this riding horse, its beautiful and it does ride, but I wanted it to fly!"

You got a didable horse, it says clarely it rides, nowhere says that it flyes or flart rainbows as you wish or want, really

Got 2 of this and only this last week! I swear could write a guiness of stupid customers, sorry (thanks god are only 1% of a 99% great ones!

Vuvuzela Rumble wrote:

LillyBeth Filth wrote:

The problem with SL is that there are no means of getting money back if a product is faulty / rubbish / not as described or portrayed. LL's policy of refusing to intervene in resident disputes, including sales, means that there literally is no buyer protection, unlike on eBay or Amazon.

In this environment, I suppose it's not surprising that people who believe they've been 'shafted' see their only option of 'consumer justice' as being to punish the seller through a bad review. 

True.

Never thought of that.

There are good long term merchants that people can trust. But you need to know them by reputation.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.