Czari Zenovka

Re: Ongoing issue: flood of freebies on all marketplace search results

[ Edited ]

Reply to Drake1 Nightfire - view message

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

...the bigger problem is Demos and keyword spammers. Demos should have their own tab that does not show up in a general search, like store and merchant names shouldn't.

Agreed.  I just tested the MP using "ring" as the search term as suggested by the OP.  One JCNY ring did show up along with other things that could "loosely" be called rings but the one that stumped me was a posing stand with "ring" in the keyword list.  Ok, one can use a pose stand to adjust a ring on an avatar but that, imo, was a glaring misuse of keywords.  I'm sure there were others but I just boggled as I saw a pose stand show up in a search on "ring."

ETA: spelling & clarification

"I'm not building a game, I'm building a new country."
~Philip Linden (Second Life: The Official Guide, p. 274)

Zhoie Zimermann
Topics: 16

[ Edited ]

Reply to VonGklugelstein Alter - view message

VonGklugelstein wrote:

"I believe that ALL items below their commission treshold (9L and less) should be in a master category called Bargain basement and have no sub categories"

Totally agree with the above statement. And I hope they adjust this situation sooner than later because the sales drop is so exactly timed to this new influx of 10L or below items

Reply to Belldandy Schmajuk - view message

I like the idea of a bargain as well as a DEMO category, not all lumped together, but as subcategories under each major one. We now have a chance to request it with the feedback LL requested.  Be sure to fill that out if you haven't yet,

About freebies in general, if I am searching MP for a specific thing than I'm looking for quality.  So I  ignore the freebie stuff even if it does show up first.   I suspect most people wanting quality and willing to actually spend money do the same thing. 

If the freebies were in a different place in order, even say last,  those that are not willing to spend money, or much of it, are going to ignore the higher price items anyway.  Just like RL if you are looking for a cheap car for your kid, you aren't going to the Mercedes dealers and if you are in the market for a Mercedes you don't go to Dynamite Dave's  Used Cars where everyone is 'approved'.

As far as 'big' vs.. 'little' the size of a store should have no bearing on the results for a specific product IMHO.  Some of my most favorite things are high quality items I have bought from small 'unknown' shops. 

Photobucket
Honored Resident
Belldandy Schmajuk

Reply to Nefertiti Nefarious - view message

Nefertiti Nefarious wrote:

For all of that time I have been hearing that freebies are ruining the SL economy, that freebies are hogging the choice spots in search, and that freebies should be banned and their creators run out of town.

They whined about it on SLExchange's forums

They are still whining about it on the Linden Marketplace forums.

=====================

I just looked at the "rings" category, sorted by relevance, with search term "wedding rings", and within the first 20 results, the price of the rings was from $1 to $1599.  Maybe to you that is "partially flooded with freebie results", but to me it looks like the usual mix or results.

smiles.

What you have written could be relevant in another post, sadly.. I´m not complaining about freebies runining the SL economy, as you say. I really dont care about freebies & dollarbies unless they are unfairly and massively promoted up to the top of the ladder based on nothing else than poorly implemented unsupervised LL algorithms updates.

If you are unaware to this point, let me tell you, LL implemented two days ago a change in the search results engine for MP, affecting the results, all sortings were affected, mostly "best selling", relevance as well, several dozens (maybe much more) freebies and non-related (keyword spamming) items are clogging the results, getting an unfair promotion up to the first positions (pages) "with no effort or merit at all", a sudden promotion from "non existencial" status to "top" status in less than a day as opposed to laddering based on results over a long period of time (steady sales etc.), is this fair for you?, if this is fair for you, LL has a job waiting for you.
I also must point, some items have survived this problem, why? I don´t know, is the result mix of freebies & dollarbies with reputable items a proof to say nothing has changed from yesterday? pffff of course not, you simply do not know how the MP looked a week ago to do a fair comparison, and the differences are BIG. And its not the freebie flood issue alone, but also a secondary problem when reputable stores have lost ground from top positions to "non existential" status due to this problem, this is a more serious issue and this alone will fix the problem itself hopefully due to merchant pressure.

I would also say, this mix you see right now is somewhat close to having put everything from MP into a blender machine, and some stores are behaving like bubbles trying to stay afloat amid the viscous paste.

Topics: 4
Blog Posts: 0

hehe. It looks like L.L. finally decided to stop pumping the expensive stuff to the top of the list and have the search listings by relevance based solely by sales volume. Seems things around a 1000L$ where being pumped to the top for a while. I don't know how they are weighting things now, but it seems much less biased toward expensive stuff last I tried my typical search phrase. Hopefully prices will come down more now so that alot more peeps will come in and play the game as a result. ;-)

Always Autumn http://slurl.com/secondlife/witchfest/150/215/701/

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/51037
Ry0ta Exonar
Topics: 5

We'll never know LL's secret formula of the search which they change once in a while. It was like now till some months ago. You could list the demos of your jewelry to adapt to the current formula to see if that makes any difference. Good luck!

Prodigal banner
Honored Resident
Rardoctred Wirefly

This is absolutely ridiculous. I had the number one best selling item in the weapons category and now it is plummeting off the page along with everyone else's items. First page is now filled with freebies. I am sorry but I have to agree that it is quite unfair (and stupid) for LL to do this if it's not some kind of glitch. The reason it is stupid is because I cannot imagine how much money LL is losing on those comissions and fees and listing enhancements that we pay to put our stuff up there. And as was said before, high quality items that people put their blood sweat and tears into, running entire businesses off of are being eaten alive by 0 L$ items that people were using to promote their STORES (which is what LL says the purpose of freebies is) or by items that are a few old prims slapped together with a 2006 script that only half works. Linden Labs is doing real damage to people's REAL LIVES with this one and residents are NOT seeing the nicer high quality items that they really want.:matte-motes-angry: This is no joke.

[ Edited ]

Reply to Rardoctred Wirefly - view message

I'm sorry but, are you freaking kidding me?

You weapons are at most $40L. Griefer weapons at that.

Best selling is just that, the best selling items. Whether they are $2000L or $1L. 99% of SL users do not sort by best selling. they search for a specific thing and sort by relevance. By the way, most SLers with any money don't buy freebies. So I am not sure what you are worried about.

Steel & Ink
You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.
"Time And Relative Dimension In Space"
Honored Resident
Belldandy Schmajuk

Reply to Spica Inventor - view message

Spica Inventor wrote:

hehe. It looks like L.L. finally decided to stop pumping the expensive stuff to the top of the list and have the search listings by relevance based solely by sales volume. Seems things around a 1000L$ where being pumped to the top for a while. I don't know how they are weighting things now, but it seems much less biased toward expensive stuff last I tried my typical search phrase. Hopefully prices will come down more now so that alot more peeps will come in and play the game as a result. ;-)

You certainly have some imagination  :smileyhappy:  but no, it won´t happen.

What is at stake here is the reputation of the system as a set of "clear rules", because in reality no matter which rules are in play (even this aberrant update), merchants always adapt and succeed, because the only path to a sucessful product is quality, sucess wont come from a broken update based on who knows what criteria, and the "official LL aid to the third market world" is really hurting his own pockets since the biggest sellers are being hurt, and hence the commisions for LL are reduced as well, is my guess. What merchants do not like in any market is a set of rules who are constantly broken, or definitly "broken" per se: no rule at all to succeed, just pure randomless, in such an scenario is becomes harder and harder for customers to reach the right products: those merchants who "deserve the sales", I could not put it more elegantly.

Just saying.....

After thinking about this some I wonder if the change has to do with the impending Steam deal.  They may have changed search to purposely put the freebies and low priced items on top in case a Steamer takes a look to see how much things cost in SL. The pitch being , Join SL as a premium member, get a free Linden Home and all this other free or cheap stuff. 

Photobucket