Marketplace scam - item advertised is not the delivered item

Spurius Savira

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently purchased an expensive item on marketplace. When it was delivered it turned out to be a totally different item to that advertised, and in no way matched the description or the images on the advert. When I tried to contact the merchant I received no response. I initially hoped it was a simple mistake, but I then discovered that several other people had posted warnings in the Merchant’s profile. It appears that he/she has been selling bogus items and more people have been tricked as I was. I know that I should have been more careful and checked before paying, but I have never had a problem like this before in SL Marketplace.

I have filed a report ticket with Marketplace, and also sent an abuse report to LL. Marketplace has now thankfully deleted the items and the seller from their website, for which I am very grateful as it means that no other people can be duped! 

Has anyone else had this experience? Do you have any tips on further action I can take? I hope my money will be returned but I am not sure if this will happen. The avatar that the merchant was using seems to have also been blocked or deleted.
Much thanks for any advice!

This happens every day in Second Life. You are not alone. :)

Second Life operates on a Buyer Beware policy, where Linden Dollars spent are never returned to you. You are not entitled to refunds from merchants or LL.

Please note that most fraudulent sellers will return under a new account. The abuse reporting helps other people falling into the same trap, but only for a short while.

Stay safe out there. Shop only with sellers who are invested in Second Life - have filled out profiles, and will respond to IMs :)

Spurius Savira wrote:

I recently purchased an expensive item on marketplace. When it was delivered it turned out to be a totally different item to that advertised, and in no way matched the description or the images on the advert. When I tried to contact the merchant I received no response. I initially hoped it was a simple mistake, but I then discovered that several other people had posted warnings in the Merchant’s profile. It appears that he/she has been selling bogus items and more people have been tricked as I was. I know that I should have been more careful and checked before paying, but I have never had a problem like this before in SL Marketplace.

I have filed a report ticket with Marketplace, and also sent an abuse report to LL. Marketplace has now thankfully deleted the items and the seller from their website, for which I am very grateful as it means that no other people can be duped! 

Has anyone else had this experience? Do you have any tips on further action I can take? I hope my money will be returned but I am not sure if this will happen. The avatar that the merchant was using seems to have also been blocked or deleted.

Much thanks for any advice!

Sadly, I have been caught by a scammer on the MP and was out 10,000L.. What was supposed to be a very rare breedable horse turned out to be an empty box. Will LL refund your money, no. Sadly, they view this as a user V user dispute. Which i personally find reprehensible as they earned 5% of my purchase. They should be responsible for the MP.

• 1 month later...

I know that feeling I was recently scammed as well by a seller on the market place. Even with evidence of other customers being scammed as well LL's makes the point they aren't interested. Scammers know this so that's why it's so fequent. In my opinion LL's is just as bad as the people scamming you because even though they may be well aware of a scheme they don't lift a finger to stop it. When you think about it, they make money off your being scammed. It's pretty sad and makes you not want to bother with spending money on the MP, which hurts other sellers that are legitimate. I just know I won't be making purchases off the MP like I used too if at all because scamming is legal in Second Life.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Sadly, I have been caught by a scammer on the MP and was out 10,000L.. What was supposed to be a very rare breedable horse turned out to be an empty box. Will LL refund your money, no. Sadly, they view this as a user V user dispute. Which i personally find reprehensible as they earned 5% of my purchase. They should be responsible for the MP.

Not only did they earn 5% but in the case of the OP (don't know about yours Drake), if they've acknowledged the complaint, deleted the item and banned the account, one has to ask:-

PRECISELY WHAT PART OF LL'S RESPONSIBILITY DOES THIS NOT HAPPEN TO BE?

These aren't disputes about product features, merchant vs buyer but simple plain fraud and having acknowledged it on the platform, they are complicit when taking funds in the process.

They can claw back funds from an account fast enough by just saying "it was fraudulent" so it should be returned to the customer.  If the issue is that the platform is so insecure as to permit it, then the platform should be changed.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Well that just happened to me instead of a nice RIO 5 bike shell i received some *****ty sculpty with 1 *****ty script in it

guess what the sellers account doesnt exist anymore

so I lost 11.500 lindens

Edited by InternetHITS

This is a VERY old thread but honestly folks, pay attention!  

ESPECIALLY IF IT IS AN EXPENSIVE ITEM.

Look at the complete marketplace store to see what else is being sold.

Check for a INWORLD store (not everyone has one but scammers almost never do).

Look at the profile of the seller. Does it look like someone who is really IN SL or a flybynight?   If they are in groups that are free you can join the group and see if they are still active in SL.

I really can't imagine folks spending $40 US or more and NOT DOING THEIR HOMEWORK.

Sorry, but I am really having a difficult time feeling sorry.  Hopefylly some lessons have been learned. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, InternetHITS said:

Well that just happened to me

Please edit your post and remove the link and the seller's name from it. We're not allowed to post that here for obvious reasons.

Then, flag the item you pruchased as "not as described" and also file a support case. No guarantees but if you act fast, there is a slight chance Linden Lab will be able to recover your money.

LL doesn't like to refund for stuff like this. They say they're not involved, despite facilitating the sale and getting a cut.

However, if you purchased on the MP with one of the other payment methods besides L$, you can dispute the charge and get your money back. I always use my CC instead of L$ for stuff I'm not sure about, just for this reason.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.