Marketplace Categories - Role Play

Ilyra Chardin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Wouldn't it be great if Marketplace had a Role Play Category, which could contain subcategories like: Docks, Merchants & Stores, Period Furnishings, clothing, etc?  It might make it easier to have a single category where merchants could market their items and consumers could go to find products.

Thoughts?

Ilyra's idea makes good sense.  It would not only obviate issues of proper listing placement, but it would make it much easier for Marketplace shoppers to find the theme-specific items they are looking for.  I, for one, find shopping the Marketplace to be like an Easter egg hunt much of the time.  Designations like this will only enhance the shopping experience in my opinion.

I have always specialized in period-specific items which are all used in roleplay.  I live in a roleplay realm and have many connections to our roleplay community.

It's a niche market to be certain but it also crosses over into the modern world where these items are viewed as "antiques".  A large part of my revenue comes from this broader segment.

I wouldn't want to categorize any of my products specifically under roleplay because I think it would be too limiting particularly since you can only categorize a product once.  Instead I would continue to take advantage of keywords such as "roleplay".

As a merchant, I'm not sure I would use it. Everything you listed "could" be classified as roleplay but can also be classified in a current listing. For example, period furnishings, why put it under roleplay instead of furniture? Sure you'd reach a community of roleplayers but you'd be leaving all the people just generally looking for furniture. Same with docks...why under roleplay? What about someone who just wants to put docks around their fishing shack near the house and it's not for a specific roleplay. I'm just saying...I think that would narrow it down a bit too much. Plus you would basically need to have every category listed now as a duplicate under roleplay because there would be a whole home and garden section under it. There are lots of options. NOW...if they gave us the option to actually select more than 1 category...how awesome would it be then? totally!

I like your idea of having products in multiple categories, but i also thing that there are some gaps in the existing categories.  For furniture or apparel, i do agree with you, but what about specialty items?  Outdoor furnishings is not really a good match for dock equipment, as an example. 

Perhaps not a RP category but expansion of existing categories that would allow for better categorization of specialty items in groupings?

Thoughts?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.