MP Newbie 1 Question 1 Issue

Aspire Rang

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3563 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello Merchants!

I recently started working on a Marketplace store
and have been focusing on how to make outstanding
listings with some limited success.

While trying to gauge the success of my test listings,
I came across my question.

- Is Reports -> Top Searched Products working?
- If so how often does it update?

My freebie listing is getting picked up about 10 times per day.
-It still shows as having 0 searches after about a week.

Any information about that would be appreciated.

The Issue I have come across with Marketplace relates to,
but is not part of the recent maturity filter kerfuffle.

One of my products should be rated General.

-It has nothing offensive in any component of the build,
or in the marketplace Details or anything else customer accessible.

-It May, but not Must be used for mature activities.
(No special provisions are included for mature use)

Therefore an appropriate list of keywords will include some adult terms.

Despite the fact that keywords are not visible to consumers,
this automatically forces the rating to Adult.

I could just create a separate listing for general audiences
with only the general subset of keywords, Except...

Item or Keyword Spam.
Item spam is creating more than one product listing for any single item, and will not be tolerated.

So I am at a loss regarding how to reach the products entire potential audience.

Besides the Question and Issue, I would really love any tips or tricks
on creating professional/fantastic MP listings.

If you want to reach everyone, your listing must contain all G rated key words.  Even one non G word will set the rating higher, no matter what the actual build is.  You are not allowed to list the same product twice either.  So you will have to decide what is more important a G rating or adult keywords.

Top Searched means just that, products that come up as part of a specific search using search words.  People can get a product without searching for it, especially a freebie, if they are just browsing.

Keywords actually are accessible to customers, if they know how to look(and many do). You can also consider them accessible as they play a role in searches. Keywords are important, but adult keywords, unless you are catering to an adult audience, are not important. I would honestly leave them out if the primary use of the product has nothing to do with moderate or adult uses. If you want people who are looking for items via search that fit your adult keywords, you will have to settle for a moderate or adult rating(depending on your keywords chosen).

Aspire Rang wrote:

I could just create a separate listing for general audiences

with only the general subset of keywords, Except...

As someone with a passion for creatively working around braindead systems, implemented by those with neither interest, or consultation with those who might have a wider understanding of what the merchant or customer actually needs and who fails to provide the tools for the job while actively putting in place systems to inhibit success...

What you *can* do is create an adult listing for a different (but genuine) product that has all the keywords needed and whatever other qualifying content and lists this one as a related item.  You have to do it this way around because someone only searching for G listings with that filter on will exclude any M/A related items.

Other than that, yep, if you want to be found in search by everyone via just one listing, G is the way to go or you have to be far more creative over the words in the ad used and find ones that would be recognised by the more articulate adult searchers while not getting it bumped to adult.

Welcome the world of being a merchant, let your frustrations and head/wall banging commence...

Hellos

Thank you for your replies! :)

Amethyst,

I know for certain my products have come up in search because I have done searches to check the effects of sales on rankings,  but my 'top searched products' report from my merchant home is still showing a buncha 0's.  

Tari,

It looks like you and the others all confirm my reading of the situation, that I am faced with an artificial either or situation.

It's frustrating to face manufactured difficulties this soon.  

Since there is no legitimate reason for a customer to see the keywords, as evidenced by their lack of visibility, why do they include it in the page source? 

As for how important adult keywords are I have no idea at all, I know the adult market is sizeable in SL given there is an entire continent devoted to it. Maybe after I find any combination product/marketing that works I will have a better idea. :P

Sassy,

That is a good idea, I know the visibility of 'realated' items is fairly good. I find a lot of fun things that way myself. If that's the best I can do it's at least better than nothing.  If only I used animations or what not, then I could just stick an extra/different animation in and call it a different product like they do with furniture. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3563 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.