In what store section to sell shapes? Best way to sell skin appliers?

Alen Hian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I am expanding my skin business due to requests for shapes and I wanted to ask fellow merchants what did you find most optimal when selling shapes? Preparing my new store setup so I was curious to get into the new area with some more knowledge.

• Selling the shape next to the skin, same shape from the image preview without a demo.
  • Selling the shape next to the skin, same shape from the image preview with a demo.
  • Selling the shape in different section, no demo.
  • Selling the shape in different section, demo.

As for Appliers for skins, which one is most profitable and which one makes customer happy?

• Selling all appliers separately.
  • Selling appliers in packs.
  • Selling an applier HUD with lifetime updates.
  • Combination of some above.

Kind regards.

There is a category for Avatar Shapes under Avatar Components.  If you are also selling skins, which go under Avatar Components > Avatar Skins, then you can link them together as a Related Items when you set up your product listings.  If you are selling a package of shape and skin there is a category for that too under Avatar Components.

You should have a demo of every shape or skin you sell.  I for one would not buy anything with one and we tell newbs seeking advice here in the forum, no demo no buying.

As for appliers for skins, a lot of creators now include the ones for body parts with their skins and also sell them separately for those who bought a skin in the past before there were appliers.  For these, I would offer each applier for body parts in a separate package so the customer doesn't have to pay for something they don't want. 

Hi Alen!

I own a small skin store so hopefully I can provide a bit of insight for what has helped for me.

For shapes:
If you have ONE shape for a specific skin, it's optimal to have the vendor next to the Skin. That way, if people like the skin but do not feel like it fits them well they can visible see that they have the option of buying a shape that was designed to fit the skin best.

Also, ALWAYS have a DEMO. I cannot stress that enough. It's wonderful as a consumer to have that option so they don't feel like they are taking a risk by buying blind. It also saves you the owner the possibility that someone wants a refund because they didn't like how the shape ended up looking.

If you have multiple shapes for one skin, I still would advise having at least one shape by the vendor. Then you can set your other shapes in another section as other possible options. But please have a DEMO for those as well :)

For appliers:
This is kind of a tricky area. In general, packaging all the appliers with the skin will make people happy but it also can be a lot of extra work/stress for you depending on how many you end up supporting. In addition, you may choose to bump up the price by including appliers which may deter some people from purchasing because now the price is a lot higher and they may only want one or two appliers. One thing to take into consideration is whether or not you plan to change the body of every skin from one release to another. Or, keeping them the same because then this will change how many appliers you end up having to do per release (and those take a lot of time!).

In the past, I've sold appliers separately by skintone. The bodies of my skins stayed the same so customers could pick or choose which applier they wanted and apply it across various faces if they ever decided to change things up. However, I recently updated the bodies to my skins so now I've been packaging the new appliers with my skin releases. I sell appliers now in "Packs" : https://www.flickr.com/photos/mochimilena/15311518574/

Each pack is priced different depending on what is included. This option allows individuals the flexibility again to decide what they really need without feeling like they paid too much for "extra appliers" that they may not want or need.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for the reply Amethyst!  I meant in in-world store for better organization as marketplace is fairly easy to organize! And yes it took me a minute to realize that if there's no demo probably no one will buy it, a bit of a derp on my side. Glad to know people are still helping each other!

As for appliers I am thinking making a skin package with all appliers and selling everything separately in-world for those who want to save up and pick only specifics.

And I definitely haven't thought I'd be getting a reply AND advice from you Mochi, you are an inspiration! PF is totally not a small store! I think?

For the shapes do you recommend any additional images or should the skin-vendor one be enough itself? Trying to keep it simple as I am still trying to find balance on what should be on the vendor image, face+bust, full body, face plus full body. I am leaning mostly towards the last.

And as mentioned before I am considering having one major package that has skin and all current appliers, and normal skin with separate appliers. I have considered packs but couldn't up with a good solution as yours. Did you try supporting a lot of appliers, like Ghetto, Belleza, Sking, Lush, Perfect, Banned, Omega, etc.? I am hoping to open up for a broader audience, and since I have been doing this alone for two years I am only leaning on my intuition and what I can find on the web. 

I was considering having an applier HUD that is updateable. But I haven't seen anyone do this yet, a bit odd.

I am in process of making my current store more professional and taking a new name, so looking towards any tips. I learned a lot on the way, but there is still a long way to go.

Thank you both for the reply :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.