I Will Not Be Held Hostage By Reviews

Codex Alpha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

or Updated Title: I Guess I Can & Will Be Held Hostage By Reviews

Apparently it doesn't matter for what purpose you may disable and relist your items on the marketplace, SL will consider it bad and disable that product forever.

This means you must be very careful as to how you package your product and its permissions: Mistakes can potentially be costly if it costs you a market listing.

Glad  I learned all this stuff early in my MP existence before having too many products, as you certainly wouldnt want to make this mistake later in your development.

I guess the only thing to do for future reviews, fair or not, is to deal with them right on the listing, right in the public eye, and hope that the shopper actually investigates the reviews. And, if the product does not sell for a long period of time, for example 6 months or more, then simply delete it from the MP forever, or SL might do it for you if you try to improve it in any way, and end up unknowingly breaking the TOS.

Original post below;

Reviews of products on the marketplace should reflect its pros and cons, in an honest and reasonable way, not as a tool for 'buyers' to hold 'sellers' hostage.

eg "I will remove this negative, unfair, unrelated 1 star review on this product until the seller deals with this issue to my satisfaction"

Many consumers seem to like to hold my product listings hostage with negative reviews that have more to do with their failure to read product descriptions, view product images, and even product demonstration videos.

In 2 cases, the complaints were about a light not working, when it was actually their graphics settings.

Another who wanted mod and copy on a product I didnt want to do it on, left a negative review.

Another didnt think a spider model was up to his unknown standards, failed to elaborate, and just gave low stars for nothing important.

The latest complaint being about modify/copy permissions confusion.

In all cases, the 'buyer' has used the review section as a way to force a resolution on the product, without first contacting me in game, and allowing me some time to get back to them. So instead, I go to update/review marketplace listings and I have several 1-star ratings on products that I HONESTLY worked hard on. Of course they're pretty scathing and suspicious as to the 'seller's practices', the irony being in one case the product in question being a whopping $19L!!!

Yeah you better use that review section just in case this $19L product is a big scam!

Know what happens when people do that, and there is no recourse for me to contact them, refund them, and they leave the UNFAIR negative review?  The listing disappears. Maybe even not to return. (Edit for Clarity: The listing is not removed because of nefariousness, but simply removed to spite shoppers who take creative products for granted)

I dont make my living from making 2nd Life products. It is a hobby while I learn how to make 3d Models. My aim was to create the best products I could for my skill level, yet make them available for the beginner to low-spender. But price doesn't seem to matter to many people, and they feel inspired to unfairly flag down products in some strange way of holding the seller hostage until their demands are met.

I will not tolerate such things. Guess what. Now 2nd Life has a few less cool, affordable items to buy now.

I'm always open to honest feedback, and I make mistakes in listing, descriptions, etc at times and i am an HONEST and TRANSPARENT person. But I will not tolerate the hijacking of my product reviews and the item will simply disappear (forever:   edited for clarity)

DISCLAIMER: The majority of buyers DO contact me in-game if they have any questions,issues or even compliments and I appreciate them greatly. Its just the few of the many though who seem to be the most vocal and will leave a nasty 1-star on your product to sit there indefinitely that are the problem.

The main problem about marketplace reviews is that 99% of happy customers are not gonna leave a good review but 99% of the angry ones will write a negative review, in this way the review system doesn't help at all to understand if a product is valid or not.

Also, some customers when get angry doesn't stop just writing the bad review on the item they bought, if you have some items for sale at 0 L$ they will buy them all just to make a negative review for each one, sometimes a customer could become a nightmare

Customers are under no obligation to contact you before leaving a review.  It certainly is good if they do though.  Perhaps you should add a statement to your listings to please contact you if they find any problems or something similar as well as a statement that you are selling the item with the permissions that are noted and will not change them. 

If you get a bad review you can leave a comment and explain why you think it is unfair, such as customers not reading instructions, not having the proper graphic settings, when the customer bought the product the permissions were clearly stated and they bought the item anyway etc.   If you resolve the problem and the customer won't remove or update the review, which they aren't under obligation to do, then add a comment that it has been resolved and how. 

If it is clearly the customer's fault then you can flag the review after adding the comment and LL may delete it.  Even if they don't, the counter argument would probably make most people disregard the review.  I know when I am considering a product on MP, I only take into account reviews, both positive and negative, that state clear reasons why they rated the item as they did and disregard any that don't give a reason or are clearly the customers fault.

Of course it is your right to sell a product with the permissions you wish to give, but personally I would not buy any product that is no mod/no copy/no transfer, so you probably lose more sales due to this than due to a bad review. 

It is your right to withdrawal a product from the MarketPlace due to a bad review, but you can not create a new listing for it to put it back on the market later.  So you may want to give commenting a try before you do this.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Customers are under no obligation to contact you before leaving a review.  It certainly is good if they do though.  Perhaps you should add a statement to your listings to please contact you if they find any problems or something similar as well as a statement that you are selling the item with the permissions that are noted and will not change them. 

If you get a bad review you can leave a comment and explain why you think it is unfair, such as customers not reading instructions, not having the proper graphic settings, when the customer bought the product the permissions were clearly stated and they bought the item anyway etc.   If you resolve the problem and the customer won't remove or update the review, which they aren't under obligation to do, then add a comment that it has been resolved and how. 

If it is clearly the customer's fault then you can flag the review after adding the comment and LL may delete it.  Even if they don't, the counter argument would probably make most people disregard the review.  I know when I am considering a product on MP, I only take into account reviews, both positive and negative, that state clear reasons why they rated the item as they did and disregard any that don't give a reason or are clearly the customers fault.

Of course it is your right to sell a product with the permissions you wish to give, but personally I would not buy any product that is no mod/no copy/no transfer, so you probably lose more sales due to this than due to a bad review. 

It is your right to withdrawal a product from the MarketPlace due to a bad review, but you can not create a new listing for it to put it back on the market later.  So you may want to give commenting a try before you do this.

We must be clear as to what we are discussing here. A bad review isn't always a bad thing. I have left up a few so-called bad reviews that were clearly just misunderstandings, and I had already implemented your advice by simply replying to them in a comment. In the end, after having a hissy fit or rant w/e, it really is the easiest thing to do is reply.

Also, until today I couldnt figure out/work out how to update a product that may have been uploaded with errors or permissions errors, etc, so have relisted certain things. It doesn't mean it was done to hide from or avoid bad reviews.

I also reserve the right to delete and relist any items for any reason I see fit. It doesnt mean I'm being dishonest in any way. Like I said, I just want to make people happy in 2nd Life with my creations, so there is no need for anyone to feel so aggressive over even a $19L product, and use the review section to mandhandle sellers unfairly.

entity0x wrote:

Also, until today I couldnt figure out/work out how to update a product that may have been uploaded with errors or permissions errors, etc, so have relisted certain things. It doesn't mean it was done to hide from or avoid bad reviews.

I also reserve the right to delete and relist any items for any reason I see fit.
It doesnt mean I'm being dishonest in any way. Like I said, I just want to make people happy in 2nd Life with my creations, so there is no need for anyone to feel so aggressive over even a $19L product, and use the review section to mandhandle sellers unfairly.

And yet it is among the Disallowed Actions https://marketplace.secondlife.com/listing_guidelines#re-listing-items that you agree to in order to have  store. 

Pamela Galli wrote:

entity0x wrote:

I also reserve the right to delete and relist any items for any reason I see fit.
It doesnt mean I'm being dishonest in any way. Like I said, I just want to make people happy in 2nd Life with my creations, so there is no need for anyone to feel so aggressive over even a $19L product, and use the review section to mandhandle sellers unfairly.

And yet it is among the Disallowed Actions 
that you agree to in order to have  store. 

The context being WHY you would relist something, rather than relisting out of need (until today when I finally figured out how to update items without having to relist).

No relistings I have done or will do will be out of misrepresentation. Nice try though, and very off-topic.

Please respond to my OP or stay out of my topic, thanks.

entity0x wrote:

<snip>

I also reserve the right to delete and relist any items for any reason I see fit. It doesnt mean I'm being dishonest in any way.

</snip>

It has nothing to do with your being honest or dishonest.

It is simply a Market Place rule.

"Disabling and Re-listing Items. This is considered misrepresentation. If you are trying to get more attention for your item, try using a Product Listing Enhancement."

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/listing_guidelines?#re-listing-items

Please note, I am not against you.  Personally I find 90%, maybe more of MP reviews worthless.

Reading that an item is the greatest thing since sliced white bread is worthless info to me.  And I understand also most negative reviews are the user's fault, not the Merchants.

entity0x wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

entity0x wrote:

The context being WHY you would relist something, rather than relisting out of need (until today when I finally figured out how to update items without having to relist).

No relistings I have done or will do will be out of
misrepresentation
. Nice try though, and very off-topic.

Let me tell you how forums on the internet work:  Anyone can post anything in any thread. The OP does not own the thread. 

In any case, you are the one who proudly announced that you violated the MP listing guidelines repeatedly, so if that is off topic, why did you bring it up at all?  And then say any comments on that statement are off topic! 

I violated no TOS practices, because relistings were made before figuring out how to replace product listings. The good thing about this experience today is that it made me go out and specifically learn how to replace/update products without having to relist the item.

I've relisted items in the past due to necessity, not nefariousness.

I have a few products, especially scripted ones that need to have newer versions, and before today I would have had to make a new listing, because before today  I simply did not understand how to.

But now I'm sure you  are happy for getting me off topic and defensive about it.

Perrie Juran wrote:

entity0x wrote:

<snip>

I also reserve the right to delete and relist any items for any reason I see fit. It doesnt mean I'm being dishonest in any way.

</snip>

It has nothing to do with your being honest or dishonest.

It is simply a Market Place rule.

"
Disabling and Re-listing Items
. This is considered misrepresentation. If you are trying to get more attention for your item, try using a Product Listing Enhancement."

Please note, I am not against you.  Personally I find 90%, maybe more of MP reviews worthless.

Reading that an item is the greatest thing since sliced white bread is worthless info to me.  And I understand also most negative reviews are the user's fault, not the Merchants.

I understand where you're coming from, but the context of my past relistings has not been about misrepresentation in any way.

Disabling and removing listings is my choice. If I no longer want to have a product on the marketplace, I can do so. If I change my mind 3 months or a year later, or replace the listing with a superior product.. again that is not misrepresention.

DId this topic now change to listing practices and not the original point of this thread?

Pamela Galli wrote:

entity0x wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

entity0x wrote:

misrepresentation

Let me tell you how forums on the internet work:  Anyone can post anything in any thread. The OP does not own the thread. 

In any case, you are the one who proudly announced that you violated the MP listing guidelines repeatedly, so if that is off topic, why did you bring it up at all?  And then say any comments on that statement are off topic! 

In a reasonable and fair forum community, it is understood that one usually discusses or responds to the original intent of the thread, and not carry on personal attacks or accusations or musings about the intent of the OP.

You are off topic. Its a fact. So again, get back on topic or get out of the thread. Thanks.

entity0x wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

entity0x wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

entity0x wrote:

misrepresentation

In a reasonable and fair forum community, it is understood that one usually discusses or responds to the original intent of the thread, and not carry on personal attacks or accusations or musings about the intent of the OP.

You are off topic. Its a fact. So again, get back on topic or get out of the thread. Thanks.

Seriously?  This is the real world -- bark out orders as much as you like, they mean nothing.  And as I said, in forum threads in the real world, there is no telling where a thread will go. As you demonstrated by bringing up your courageous willingness to violate the listing guidelines. We didnt' bring it up, you did. Now you want to put the genie back in the bottle. 

While you are busy delisting and relisting, those of us who observe the rules know very well that if we delist FOR ANY REASON, it is final. We DO NOT get to relist.

entity0x wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

entity0x wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

entity0x wrote:

misrepresentation

No one is trying to be mean or nasty to you here.

We were actually trying to be nice.

I'm not going to take the time to dredge up old threads right now but there have been others who found out the hard way what we were saying. 

Really, for the most part, as far as your "topic" is concerned, you are preaching to the choir here. 

We are in agreement that these kind of reviews suck.

ETA, and yes I can and will respond to anything posted in a thread.

Perrie Juran wrote:

entity0x wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

entity0x wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

entity0x wrote:

misrepresentation

I'm not going to take the time to dredge up old threads right now but there have been others who found out the hard way what we were saying. 

Really, for the most part, as far as your "topic" is concerned, you are preaching to the choir here. 

ETA, and yes I can and will respond to 
anything
posted in a thread.

Well I have delisted and deleted some items already (FOREVER) that were either 1) not selling 2) had stupid unfair reviews and therefore not selling, so there is no ill intent on my part.

If anything, like I said, now that I know how to update without doing that, there is no issue.

I still won't be held hostage by unfair reviews though. LIke I said, if it affects the product unfairly, I will remove the item forever. There was no talk about relisting due to bad reviews. There is no intent to relist due to bad reviews. There is no intent to relist to be nefarious or hide any wrongdoings.

Thanks for the great discussion though. I will definitely reciprocate in kind on everyone else's threads.

entity0x wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

entity0x wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

entity0x wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

entity0x wrote:

misrepresentation

ETA, and yes I can and will respond to 
anything
posted in a thread.

Well I have delisted and deleted some items already (FOREVER) that were either 1) not selling 2) had stupid unfair reviews and therefore not selling, so there is no ill intent on my part.

If anything, like I said, now that I know how to update without doing that, there is no issue.

I still won't be held hostage by unfair reviews though. LIke I said, if it affects the product unfairly, I will remove the item forever. There was no talk about relisting due to bad reviews. There is no intent to relist due to bad reviews. There is no intent to relist to be nefarious or hide any wrongdoings.

Thanks for the great discussion though. I will definitely reciprocate in kind on everyone else's threads.

Reciprocate?

Now you sound like you think we have done you an Injustice here.

No one has done you an Injustice here.

Wow, just wow.

Relisting a product because you didn't know how to update it is not an excuse.  Directions are readily available in the Knowledge Base or you could have asked in this forum and gotten the information, probably within minutes.

I'm sorry you didn't like to be told the rules about relisting.  I informed you about it to keep you out of trouble, not to pick on you.  Other's joined in when you posted back to the effect that you'll do as you please even if it means breaking the rules.

You can't tell people to stay our of "your" thread here.  It's a public forum so you don't own the thread and anyone can post as long as they don't violate the Community Guidelines.  So if you now petty enough to want revenge post in our threads, go ahead.  It doesn't bother me in the least, as it is your right.  I am not afraid of criticism and am adult enough to either respond intelligently to defend my position, admit I'm wrong if you present a convincing argument, ignore you, call you on any misinformation you post or RIC your post if its just flaming, which is my right. 

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Relisting a product because you didn't know how to update it is not an excuse.  Directions are readily available in the Knowledge Base or you could have asked in this forum and gotten the information, probably within minutes.

I'm sorry you didn't like to be told the rules about relisting.  I informed you about it to keep you out of trouble, not to pick on you.  Other's joined in when you posted back to the effect that you'll do as you please even if it means breaking the rules.

You can't tell people to stay our of "your" thread here.  It's a public forum so you don't own the thread and anyone can post as long as they don't violate the Community Guidelines.  So if you now petty enough to want revenge post in our threads, go ahead.  It doesn't bother me in the least, as it is your right.  I am not afraid of criticism and am adult enough to either respond intelligently to defend my position, admit I'm wrong if you present a convincing argument, ignore you, call you on any misinformation you post or RIC your post if its just flaming, which is my right. 

Whatever. You and other responders really need to get a life,because your replies  are over-the-top, over-litigious and extreme in their laughable pretense of 'helpful ness'.

Y'all straight up nuts.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Whose the bigger nut?  A person that tried to help you or the the person who admited on a public LL owned forum that they broke the rules, and will continue to do so if it suits you?

The only nut here is you, trying so hard to get someone in trouble.

I am fully confident that LL can see my transactions and listings progress and pretty much see there isn't anything untoward going on in my actions, by simply seeing the progression of how I've developed my store,etc.

You don't have to worry about it, and any continued accusations on your part in this thread has become ridiculous and almost borders on defamation and harassment.

Let LL handle any issues of misrepresentation and decide who is breakng the TOS, and keep your stupid nose out of it.

Sassy Romano wrote:

"I also reserve the right to delete and relist any items for any reason I see fit"

Yes, i do.  Each and every product I conceptualized and modeled is my intellectual property, and I can do so with it as I choose. I own it.

Its only a breaking of the TOS if one relists the exact same product WITHOUT REVISION for the purpose of avoiding negative reviews, for nefarious reasons.

If I should decide to relist the item because 1) I have redesigned it  2) corrected it  3) improved models or textures and end up relisting it 3 days later or 365 days later, I RESERVE THE RIGHT BECAUSE I OWN IT.

I agree if a merchant relists the SAME product on the marketplace to avoid negative reviews or to scam the public, then this needs to be addressed. THAT IS THE CONTEXT OF THE TOS.

In my case,I stated that the result of people using UNFAIR and NEGATIVE reviews will simply have the item disappear FOREVER, at a loss to 2nd Life in general,and the loss of yet another creator, will be the result.

The discussion should have been about fixing the review system, or about changing the attitudes of shoppers and merchants alike, but instead you morons turned the topic into a witch hunt.

Not very mature.

entity0x wrote:

The discussion should have been about fixing the review system, or about changing the attitudes of shoppers and merchants alike, but instead you morons turned the topic into a witch hunt.

Not very mature.

If there was anything Immature that happened here it was your responding to us as if we were engaging in a Witch Hunt.

If you think we are all hovering around salivating while we wait for someone to slip up then you, to put it as nicely as I can think of to put it, are clueless.

You were the one who CHOSE to take our responses as a Witch Hunt.  That was a CHOICE on your part.  No more, no less.

There was no Witch Hunting going on here.

Perrie Juran wrote:

entity0x wrote:

Not very mature.

If there was anything Immature that happened here it was your responding to us as if we were engaging in a Witch Hunt.

If you think we are all hovering around salivating while we wait for someone to slip up then you, to put it as nicely as I can think of to put it, are clueless.

You were the one who CHOSE to take our responses as a Witch Hunt.  That was a CHOICE on your part.  No more, no less.

There was no Witch Hunting going on here.

Perri, I usually dont have a beef with your comments, its only when you start being a representative using statements such as 'we this', 'we that', etc, then you get lumped in with the rest.

You didnt even need to reply or continue this thread, it could have died with my clarifying statement.

This is why I think you and the regulars enjoy all this stuff. You enjoy nitpicking and accusing people, and putting posters on the defense. That shows lack of maturity.

When you ignore the original intent of the post, and instead try to defame, disrepute etc the OP, then there is a problem.

Stop speaking for 'we', and speak for yourself.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.