Does editing a existing marketplace listing change the search position?

Amari Maven

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3368 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I'm wondering if anybody knows if I were to edit a older marketplace listing to update it would that effect the items position it has in search now? Some have moved up a bit due to being sold more and I just wanted to know if that would move them back down to the bottom of my listings if I edit the picture or listing content. 

Thanks for any and all replies :)

ecdotal evidence only, since there is no real evidence other than our own experiences...

Yes, it has had an effect on some of the items I have edited, but not on others. As with most things, it's random at best. I'm almost positive it is supposed to affect search rankings, but doesn't actually work. Again though, just my experience personally. I have seen others say the same things though.

Tari Landar wrote:

ecdotal evidence only, since there is no real evidence other than our own experiences...

Yes, it has had an effect on some of the items I have edited, but not on others. As with most things, it's random at best. I'm almost positive it is supposed to affect search rankings, but doesn't actually work. Again though, just my experience personally. I have seen others say the same things though.

My guess is that the random part has to do with how active the category or keywords for the item are on the market place, making an edit is likely just a shot term modifier, so if no one else has sales at the time then no effect, if others are having lots of sales at the same time then you'll see a drop.  But just a guess...

Amari Maven wrote:

Hi, I'm wondering if anybody knows
if I were to edit a older marketplace listing to update it would that effect the items position it has in search now
? Some have moved up a bit due to being sold more and I just wanted to know if that would move them back down to the bottom of my listings if I edit the picture or listing content. 

Thanks for any and all replies
:)

Yes, and no ... If you edit it to fix any issues that are preventing it from showing up well, yes.

If you just tweak a few words and save it, probably not.

• 4 weeks later...

If you only edit the description or the keywords nothing happens. The position in  search ranking  stays.

BUT if you change your object as i did, i had no other possibility as to set a new item into the Marketplace,  your new object is  last in ranking order.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3368 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.