Direct Delivery Q&A

Darrius Gothly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4601 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey Brooke? Got kind of a stupid idea but .. that's my specialty. How about if we ask questions regarding Direct Delivery, and you pick out the ones you can answer and answer them? That way we merchants will gain a better level of comfort with the upcoming changes, you'll get a chance to ease some tensions, and we'll all arrive at the outcome a lot more in ilne with each other?

Sound good?

I agree with Darrius and would like to see an open Q&A for us to ask questions about this.  As we all want to be prepared and for many of us, this is a lot of inventory that needs to be changed.  

The entire magic box system is in large part why I don't have nearly as much on the MP as I do in my store (90 items in MP, 500 in my stores).

If this is something that can make my live easier, I will move more content into the MP but for now, I limit it as more often than not, they shop at my in world instead.

Josh Susanto wrote:

I can stay off of it right until the lies begin.

Fair enough?

Actually, what I would prefer is that you use your skills at marketing and sales and your knowledge of your procedures to ask questions about Direct Delivery that may be of import to you. Since this really is for DD, keeping it on that topic should allow you to gain some good info and possibly even fuel a new conspiracy slant. But at least keep it on DD .. please?

@Madeleifste - I agree, some strict moderation would be acceptable. I actually figured since Brooke would pick the questions she could answer, that would necessarily "mute" those that were just interfecting BS. (Like I often do at the end of a thread's lifespan ...)

Brooke? It's up to you now. First questions to get this started:

1) Will the special folders in our Personal Inventory needed for DD be automatically created by the Viewer? By all Viewer2 Compatible Viewers or just specific ones? Will the naming convention be similar to the "defacto standard" hash mark and then the name?

2) Will there be any utility that can take a list of our existing Items listed on the Marketplace then feed commands into our Personal Inventory special DD Folder Tree to create those same named folders? If none is planned, can you make one please? (In other words, can something be done to automatically replicate our Magic Box items as special folders?)

3) What sort of reports will we have to indicate the number and names of items that will be delivered by DD when an Item is purchased from the Marketplace? What I would like to see is a sublist on the edit page that showed all the items in the Inventory Folder for that item, as well as the permissions for that item. It would also be cool to get a "unified permissions" display that shows what the aggregate permissions would be if all the items were gathered into a single box.

4) Will we be able to set the name of the Delivery Folder in the customer's Inventory different than the Product Name on Marketplace (and different from the object name in the Magic Box now)?

Is there a back up system for inventories?

With a magic box I can more or less create my own back up system. I can choose to store my boxes on different servers in SL, so if one server breaks down my merchandise can still be delivered from another server. With DD I will be forced to store my merchandise in just one single place: my inventory.

In the past I have experienced that 6000 items just disappeared from my inventory. Whatever I tried, cleaning cache, install the latest viewer, ask help by ticket,nothing brought back these 6000 items. Then suddenly about three weeks later I logged in and my inventory start to load fully again and all items came back.

Now what if the same thing happens again and my merchandise that I have active on the marketplace suddenly disappears from my inventory. Will it only for me not be available in my inventory, or will my merchandise it not be available on the marketplace?

What can we do to weapon us against inventory loss of our merchandise?

Madeliefste Oh wrote:

Is there a back up system for inventories?

With a magic box I can more or less create my own back up system. I can choose to store my boxes on different servers in SL, so if one server breaks down my merchandise can still be delivered from another server. With DD I will be forced to store my merchandise in just one single place: my inventory.

In the past I have experienced that 6000 items just disappeared from my inventory. Whatever I tried, cleaning cache, install the latest viewer, ask help by ticket,nothing brought back these 6000 items. Then suddenly about three weeks later I logged in and my inventory start to load fully again and all items came back.

Now what if the same thing happens again and my merchandise that I have active on the marketplace suddenly disappears from my inventory. Will it only for me not be available in my inventory, or will my merchandise it not be available on the marketplace?

What can we do to weapon us against inventory loss of our merchandise?

All these questions you ask Made are the ones that have me most concerned.  I cannot remember in my 3 years in SL that I have gone to my store or home inworld and a Rezzed prim (like our magicboxes) have disappeared for no reason.

I have witnessed and I know many friends in SL with their own personal "I lost assets in my Inventory".  So what happens if it is the assets in this new special DD merchant folder?

If I recall from some vague explanation - cant recall where - that LL's DD merchant folder within a Merchant's inventory is only somewhat of an INGESTION FOLDER into the MP system.  i.e. a Merchant would place a MP ITEM to be listed into this folder and it would be SYNCHED into the MP.  I am not sure if once its synched that the asset in this folder is removed or if the two copies stay in synch or what. 

If my memory is correct then the question is, if the assets in your inventory magically poof, will a process synch a missing asset as a REMOVED item in MP?

OK.

By special invitiation, I'll participate with DD questions.

But if the discussion starts to be about what's wrong with my personality, I'll prefer to take it elsewhere.

Questions:

1) When DD is scheduled to be deployed, is that what we will be told, or will we be told the downtime is for "maintenance"?

2) What reason do I have for believing the answer to question #1, or, for that matter, any answer to any question?

3) Will DD be deployed before or after LL has found a way to stop Commerce Linden from taking money from customers for items not delivered?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4601 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.