Deactivating items in my store on marketplace for keyword spamming?

angelldown

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it keyword spamming if I am selling a sex bed and including a free box of sex toys? I am selling a bed and I am giving away a free box of sex toys with this bed. Where is the issue in this? Every single time I list something more than half my items get flagged....who is in charge of this process? Also is there a way to see who is flagging my items? This is seeming like a griefing thing.

If it is keyword spamming that gets your item deactivated, the problem is in whatever keywords you are using. Granted, whoever actually looks at the flags other people send in(because LL relies on us to flag items) doesn't always do a very good job. There are instances where people improperly flag items, and it is quite apparent that whoever looked at those particular reports either didn't actually read them, or didn't follow through and check the items. However, with keyword spamming, there are specific rules in place, and a LOT of people use keywords they should not. For example, including the word free, when your item is not free, using mesh when the item is not actually mesh, including really any descriptive words that are not actually applicable to your item, using any brand name..the list goes on and on. Keywords should be used with some thought, and not just thrown in willy nilly hoping to get more exposure.

Of course I am not saying you have just simply tossed them in willy nilly, just saying it could easily be the culprit. Or, it could be someone not doing their job properly. Both instances seem to happen equally, imo, or at least have over the years since MP came to be. There are also some, umm, people, who think they're lord of the flag, and they simply get on a clicking spree and report lots of listings. Although LL says they keep an eye on that too, and folks who repeatedly flag, especially for the same reason, and in a short time span, could find themselves in hot water for it(whether or not LL acts on that threat, I have no clue)

One thing to make sure you don't do, is simply copy and paste the same keywords into a bunch of listings. Some, of course will be needed for multiple listings, especially if they are similar. But using the exact same keywords for a bunch of listings, especially in the exact same order, might very well raise red flags and cause someone to assume you're keyword spamming (whether right or wrong, I can't say, just pointing out it's a possibility).

As long as you're following the listing guidelines regarding keywords, just keep doing what you're doing. 

Well, lets take a look.

You have the following for sale on the MP.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Pierced-Silks-FULL-PERM-RESELL/6167033

Your Keywords (some of which the forum might censor) are:

sex, dance, **bleep**, boobs, daddy, babygirl, baby, girl, suck, force, dress, gown, love, resell, free, freebie, gift, dress, gown, RP, role play, CP, cos play, Arabian, sexy, resell, perm, gift, gifty,

First of all IT IS NOT FREE or a FREEBIE.  Oh, I know, it is only $1L.  Does not matter to me.  It's not FREE.  Period.

What does Daddy have to do with this?  And 'Babygirl?'  I didn't know Babygirls did Silks.

How about 'SUCK?'

Silks are not a 'dress' nor are they a 'gown.'

So yes, you are keyword spamming out the ying yang.

Would you like me to go on with some of your other listings?

Many of us get really irritated when we shop and get bogus results.  And if I get irritated enough lately I've taken to hitting the AR button.  Though I'm not reporting this.

Bottom line, you need to clean up your act.  And just because others do it does not make it right.

Actually there are babygirl dancers in RP sims. And oddly enough the item you refer to has never been flagged and isnt the one I was asking about. I was referring to a bed and with that bed I have included a box of free items. that box is free and I am offering it. also, suck was mentioned in the item you are referring to....now as for the item you are referring to, that was one of the first items I had ever listed for sale and I had been considering removing the silks because they were some of the first ones.....as for them not being gowns or dresses, they are full perm and many times with full prem items it is amazingly easy to alter them so they have a fuller skirt and look quite elegant or and light airy skirt and make lovely summer dresses. With a little imagination it isnt hard to take a simple base like silks and make them into many many things.  Ive seen silks used in medieval sims, BDSM sims, arabian themed sims and many many other places. When I was first making listings, I was simply trying to offer this item to many genres of roleplay.......as a noob seller, my intention wasn't malicious at all. However, Im certain your intentions are pure and your reply was to help rather than attack so I do want to thank you for you reply and I will now attempt to take some pearl of wisdom from it. Again, thank you for your assistance.

Pamela Galli wrote:

LL could so easily fix keyword spam by reducing the keyword field by half or more, and by giving more weight to the listing title.

True

It would force people to be concise like you are in your listings.  No wasted adjectives.

But let's help the OP out.  What words would you use for "Silks."

Perrie Juran wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

LL could so easily fix keyword spam by reducing the keyword field by half or more, and by giving more weight to the listing title.

True

It would force people to be concise like you are in your listings.  No wasted adjectives.

Silks.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

True

Silks.

/me laughs

I was thinking the same thing.

Yes, if I was seaching for silks that's all I'd type.

I asked because I don't know enough about Silks to suggest possible key words.  I know they are popular in Gor and some of the BDSM community.

I have since went through my listings and hopefully repaired the keywords. As I stated before I am learning every single day. My bed that included free items with it continued to get flagged so I changed key words to simply 'bed, sex, free. Somwhow I would be shocked beyond belief if it still didnt get flagged. I was thinking though that for the newer people like myself, wouldnt it make good sense to require flaggers to be just as precise in the exact reason for the flagging so it could be fixed faster? they wouldnt have to include their name or anything but instead of leaving a noobish person like myself, floating in space trying to figure out the exact thing that needed to be changed, they could be told right up front what was wrong and that it will be inactive until fixed?

I just spent a good share of the morning trying to figure out why a house I was selling got flagged and Im still stumped on that one. Anyway, good suggestions. Lots of help and thank you to you all. :)

angelldown wrote:

I have since went through my listings and hopefully repaired the keywords. As I stated before I am learning every single day. My bed that included free items with it continued to get flagged so I changed key words to simply 'bed, sex, free. Somwhow I would be shocked beyond belief if it still didnt get flagged. I was thinking though that for the newer people like myself, wouldnt it make good sense to require flaggers to be just as precise in the exact reason for the flagging so it could be fixed faster? they wouldnt have to include their name or anything but instead of leaving a noobish person like myself, floating in space trying to figure out the exact thing that needed to be changed, they could be told right up front what was wrong and that it will be inactive until fixed?

I just spent a good share of the morning trying to figure out why a house I was selling got flagged and Im still stumped on that one. Anyway, good suggestions. Lots of help and thank you to you all.
:)

Have you looked at the process for flagging products? While you may be able to blame those people who find themselves trigger happy and flag anything and everything, even things that do not need to be flagged, the majority of the people who flag items are not like that. The majority of people who flag items do so because the product needs to be flagged, and they have a limited set of options in the flagging process. You can thank LL for that fact, not the flagger. Although, even if there were an option for being more precise, the messages you receive from LL telling you an item has been flagged, would still likely be as canned, scripted, and generic, as they already are. That is their go to model when it comes to dealing with things. They have never really been precise when explaining why an issue is an issue, or really, a whole lot of anything. The ability to explain properly is apparently, not a quality they wish to obtain, lol.

Honestly, I would still eliminate the free from your bed. The fact that it comes with sex toys is simply a bonus and you should think of the keywords as something descriptive, something people will search out, to find your exact item...not just one of its components. That word free may be exactly what is getting that bed flagged, as the bed itself, is not free at all. If you notice that it stops getting flagged, you have your culprit.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.