Changing the Market Place

Nalates Urriah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

it appears that for customers shopping on the Market Place (MP) there will be little change.

For those of us placing things into the MP for sale. there are big changes coming. Listening to the Lindens these should all be good changes that improve things. That is always the intention. It just doesn't always work out that way. But, it is too early to start being pessimistic. A lot has changed since XStreet and Direct Delivery changes rolled out.

I have more details up here: http://blog.nalates.net/2014/10/11/second-life-market-place-changing/

I think we are seeing the effect of Ebbe's management and possibly Oz's on the Commerce Team. Whatever, the case the idea seems to be to make the MP easier to use and set up. There are efficiency improvements in how the computer systems will handle things. That should make things more robust and reduce problems.

Some third party viewer developers are glad to see these changes. There are problems with the Outbox now in use. Those problems will go away and the new system will be simpler logistically from the server's viewpoint.

Expect to be pushed into having to change... or being changed over to the new system by ...say... early 2nd quarter 2015, six months or so from now.

Late this month or early November we will see some beta testing in the preview grid with a project viewer. Depending on results, we will likely see testing open up and projects more to the main grid. It is unclear who they will open the test group up to.

Since January this year they have had a private group the Lindens have been working with. I suspect that group had to sign an NDA to get in and cannot talk. But, the word is some merchants have been working with the Lab to develop this new system for Viewer Managed Market Place Inventory.

It is unclear if they will close the entire market place for a migration to the new system, or just close individual stores or groups of stores as they migrate them to the new system.

We are promised more information in two weeks at the next Third Party Developers UG meeting.  

If you have questions and/or concerns, I suggest you get them to your viewer developers. Talk to Firestorm Support and ask if they can forward questions/concerns to the Dev's that attend the meeting. The Dev's will think of many questions from the technical side. But, as merchants we will think of other questions. Get those to the developers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.