Beware those $L0 Freebie walls, you'll get nailed

Codex Alpha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

NOTE: Posted without prejudice and as a means to discuss issues in 2nd Life only. I am not responsible if you are somehow getting bent out of shape by a post I make.

BEWARE, its like playing Minesweeper out there!

freescripts_exhibit1.jpg

My bad, I guess I need a reminder every so often as I mindlessly look through several freebie stores to see what I can pick up for cheap props to use in the background, or machinima, today I was in a free script shop.

Wall is advertised as a 'free script' wall, with most clicks being $L99. TYPO THANKS FOR THE PATIENT RESPONSES! 

Wall is advertised as a 'free script' wall, (in a freebie store) with most clicks being $L0.

Its interesting that after you click a few to view what comes in the contents, that you find one that might be of interest for study, and before I could do anything, my mindless clicking did a nice purchase for $L99.

As if inworld stores don't have a challenge to get and keep people coming to their stores, tactics like this can be interpreted as pretty shady; it hasn't been the first time a paying item is embedded in a see of FREEBIE clicks. I'm sure in my noobie days in SL I've given away several hundred Lindens, not realizing that 'cash sound' actually took out cash that time.

My bad. I got soft. Thanks for the reminder.

Everyone else, beware those mindless clicks on in-world merchandise. Things like this keep people dealing on the marketplace, where it's safe and has almost too many 'really buy?" windows.

UPDATE April 30, 2014: Seller has not responded to the issue, and the 'mistake' still remains in-world.

So, the merchant made a mistake with the pricing.
You made a mistake with mindlessly buying it.

I neither see shady practises here nor one mistake being worse than the other. Let the merchant know about the pricing misshap, if it was a mistake they'll fix the pricing on the vendor and refund your purchase.
If they don't do either then yeah, you can cry wolf. Until then? Be mad at yourself and the mistake you made. 

Pamela Galli wrote:

So a larcenous store owner made this entire wall and put freebies all over it for the purpose of tricking someone into accidentally spending 40 cents?

Right.

(40 cents for crying out loud.)

Gotta start small until you're ready for world domination :smileylol:

Lynnie Michigan wrote:

I agree MistahMoose. It's a valid point and people need to be aware. You hit it dead on!

Really? The OP actually said the freebie wall had...well, let me c&p, it's easier...

"Wall is advertised as a 'free script' wall, with most clicks being $L99.

Its interesting that after you click a few to view what comes in the contents, that you find one that might be of interest for study, and before I could do anything, my mindless clicking did a nice purchase for $L99."

Bold emphasis mine of course.  The OP said this "$0l freebie wall was covered with mostly $99l items...... Is that not the first indication that the wall was CLEARLY mixed with $0l and $99l items, so one should be aware of where it is they are clicking? lol

Not that the Op, or anyone, ought to be raked over the coals, but come on...It was not some deviant merchant here for cryng out loud. It was a mistake on the OP's part, and probably something many of us have done before...clicked something to buy it without necessarily paying the best attention.  I know I've done it.  I can't imagine blaming the merchant for my own carelessness, lol.  That's just ridiculous. Regardless of the price, it wasn't the merchant's actions that caused anything. Nor would I consider it a scam if a "freebie" wall is litered with *some* $0l items, and mostly $99l items.  That seems, to me, to be a very strange assumption.

Op...it happens, lol. It wasn't the merchant "nailing" or "tricking" you, nor is it something we all, including nobs" need "warned" about.  Unless your warning is to pay closer attention to what *you are doing. In that case, yes, everyone ought to do tha, new and old alike. No need to rake a merchant over the coals anymore than you'd rake someone who made the mistake over the coals.  In this case, I would think the merchant did nothing wrong at all, personally.  If it were me, and it has been, I'd laught it off, chalk it up to my own desire to get out of somewhere fast, and simply move on.  Just one of those lessons in patience no one ever wants to really listen to :)

edited to fix typo lol

Thanks Tari -- I had not read carefully enough to understand that the OP was well aware that the wall had a mix of free and non free items on it, before she ever bought the 99L item.

Another example of what is to me a very bizarre outlook on life, wherein people are never responsible for their own mistakes. (And add to that the assumption that everyone in forums, etc., is like one's mother, and cares about every slight or injustice incurred, no matter how trivial.) 

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but dont you have to confirm purchases?

The OP did say:

"Its interesting that after you click a few to view what comes in the contents, that you find one that might be of interest for study, and before I could do anything, my mindless clicking did a nice purchase for $L99."

Probably clicked "Pay" instead of "Cancel."

Perrie Juran wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

The OP did say:

"Its interesting that after you click a few to view what comes in the contents, that you find one that might be of interest for study, and before I could do anything,
my mindless clicking did a nice purchase
for $L99."

I guess you could say this was just another case of an itchy clicky finger...

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

The OP did say:

"Its interesting that after you click a few to view what comes in the contents, that you find one that might be of interest for study, and before I could do anything,
my mindless clicking did a nice purchase
for $L99."

I guess you could say this was just another case of an itchy clicky finger...

And even long time users (points at myself) get it occasionally.

New users may be more at risk of an "honest mistake" on this.

I do understand what the OP is talking about with vendor walls.  Whether you want to call the pratice "shady" is up for grabs.  Only some of the items on the wall will be free so if you are not careful, ouch. 

Man, many of you regular posters are just downright nasty.

Wall is advertised as a 'free script' wall, with most clicks being $L99. IS A TYPO.

The correct statement IS

Wall is advertised as a 'free script' wall with most clicks being $L0.

Sheesh. Its absurd how quick some respondents are in hanging people on this forum. This is not a court of law.

FACTS:

1) The script WAS embedded and surrounded by FREEBIE $0L Scripts.

2) The entire wall was advertised as FREE SCRIPTS

3) Whether the merchant intended this to be nefarious or not is unknown. It certainly can be interpreted as such, because I'm sure it's not the first time it's happened. Its also not very honest to leave such a mistake up on a wall for more people to hit. I did contact the creator of the product, and no response has been made on the matter.

In my OP, I admitted that at that point, since I had been clicking on several products to view the contents and CANCELLING many of them, that this was a mindless click.. Unfortunately it was on a script that I was interested in, out of the entire wall, I DIDNT EXPECT THAT IT WAS $99L.

In my mind, that's pretty dirty practice. Whether it is only $0.40 cents or not is irrelevant.

So my statement stands Beware those $0L Freebie walls, you'll get nailed.

So, the merchant made a mistake with the pricing.
You made a mistake with mindlessly buying it.

I thought I communicated that fact in my OP.

I neither see shady practises here nor one mistake being worse than the other. Let the merchant know about the pricing misshap, if it was a mistake they'll fix the pricing on the vendor and refund your purchase.
If they don't do either then yeah, you can cry wolf. Until then? Be mad at yourself and the mistake you made.

Good thing I wasn't asking for your judgement on the matter. I posted to remind people that mindlessly clicking at Freebie stores is dangerous.

Note: this isnt the only store that this occurs - MANY large and well known FREEBIE outlets also have several "mistakes' as well.

So a larcenous store owner made this entire wall and put freebies all over it for the purpose of tricking someone into accidentally spending 40 cents? Right. (40 cents for crying out loud.)

Shady or not, it's something to remember when clicking in a Freebie store. Because it happens.. I just needed a reminder obviously since it's been a while since I've done it, but I was looking for a specific script to study for a task of mine.

Well with the amount of people who filter through freebie areas daily I'd assume it wouldn't be hard to accidently trick 100 people a day.

So 100 x .4 = $40, thats not a bad daily gain for doing nothing

Especially when the 'mistake' happens in many freebie stores, I just usually avoid them. I just happened to get nailed again, did a facepalm and said to myself "aww man, just got nailed $99 for a one line script" lol

Use a newbie, an alt with no money and you are safe from being a victim for this ruthless trick
Doing this also makes it easy to keep a lot of garbage out of you main alt's inventory

Thanks, like I said, after clicking on probably 100 boxes (as one can get in the habit of when shopping),  you simply arent expecting something to be $99L when everything else on the wall was $0L.

Respondents should be replying "Yeah, its a good thing to do, to double check prices on stuff sometimes", but the responses are more about blaming the OP.

entity0x wrote:

Man, many of you regular posters are just downright nasty.

Wall is advertised as a 'free script' wall, with most clicks being $L99. IS A TYPO.

The correct statement IS

Wall is advertised as a 'free script' wall
with most clicks being $L0.

Sheesh. Its absurd how quick some respondents are in hanging people on this forum. This is not a court of law.

So why don't you edit it and fix the typo? It's been two days.

Really? The OP actually said the freebie wall had...well, let me c&p, it's easier...

"Wall is advertised as a 'free script' wall, with most clicks being $L99.

Its interesting that after you click a few to view what comes in the contents, that you find one that might be of interest for study, and before I could do anything, my mindless clicking did a nice purchase for $L99."

Bold emphasis mine of course.  The OP said this "$0l freebie wall was covered with mostly $99l items...... Is that not the first indication that the wall was CLEARLY mixed with $0l and $99l items, so one should be aware of where it is they are clicking? lol

That was a typo. Clearly I was discussing a $0L wall. I did purchase several $L0 (that ended up being one line scripts I could find on LSL wiki anyway), and didnt expect one to be $99L...

Not that the Op, or anyone, ought to be raked over the coals, but come on...It was not some deviant merchant here for cryng out loud. It was a mistake on the OP's part, and probably something many of us have done before...clicked something to buy it without necessarily paying the best attention.  I know I've done it.  I can't imagine blaming the merchant for my own carelessness, lol.  That's just ridiculous. Regardless of the price, it wasn't the merchant's actions that caused anything. Nor would I consider it a scam if a "freebie" wall is litered with *some* $0l items, and mostly $99l items.  That seems, to me, to be a very strange assumption.

"Carelessness" happens when you purchase several items on an advertised FREEBIE wall and all are $OL, and one happens to be $99L.

And who else do you blame for seller 'mistakes'? THough that really wasnt the point of the OP, that was how it was interpreted.

Op...it happens, lol. It wasn't the merchant "nailing" or "tricking" you, nor is it something we all, including noobs" need "warned" about.  

That is a matter of opinion.

Unless your warning is to pay closer attention to what *you are doing. In that case, yes, everyone ought to do tha, new and old alike.

I thought that was my OP was about. Its only respondents who turned this into a kangaroo court.

No need to rake a merchant over the coals anymore than you'd rake someone who made the mistake over the coals.

I dont think I did. I didnt mention names, nor stores. However, at the end of the day, it is the MERCHANTS responsibilty for mistakes. In the meantime, yes, friendly reminders to 'mind your clicks' is fine.

Thanks Tari -- I had not read carefully enough to understand that the OP was well aware that the wall had a mix of free and non free items on it, before she ever bought the 99L item.

Another example of what is to me a very bizarre outlook on life, wherein people are never responsible for their own mistakes. (And add to that the assumption that everyone in forums, etc., is like one's mother, and cares about every slight or injustice incurred, no matter how trivial.)

You should try not to be so judgemental, and eager to jump down a forum poster's throat, when in the end it was a simple TYPO.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.