Anyone heard of Direct Delivery sending empty folders?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just got a report from someone who says he got an empty folder from the marketplace. I do not recall any other reports of this, and I don't see how it is even possible for the marketplace to send an empty folder.

As a sort of poll, pls say if you either have or have not experienced or know about this. I strongly suspect it is another form of inventory problem, but just checking on the off chance DD is having an as yet undiscovered delivery problem.

Howdy, Miss Pam!

I have had no reports from any of my customers about receiving an empty folder OR box.  I'm still in the "converting to folders instead of boxes" phase, so right now I have both being delivered.  So far though...no issues that I know of.  I'm sorry to hear this could be an issue though.  Thanks for reporting it.  Something to keep an eye on fer sure!

Ry0ta Exonar wrote:

I have not experienced that issue, but I remember reading about it on the forums long ago. Okay, this thread.

Oh good find, Ry0ta -- I had forgotten about that thread. 

I filed a bug report about this; I am curious to know whether this is an inventory problem -- which I told the customer would be my guess -- or whether DD is really sending empty folders.  This particular customer seems resistant to investigating the possibility of an inventory problem, tho.

I have had 2 reports - however the folders weren't empty - just the actual item was missing. 

Test delivery was fine.

The item is a freebie with transfer only permissions for the customer. The box it is packed in has no transfer permissions. The box also contained a script which unpacks the box and makes a window with a link to my marketplace pop-up.

One customer thought that this might have been responsible somehow for the lost item, so I have removed it. I have no idea whether that's right. So I am waiting to see if there's any more reports... and why oh why do people assume merchants are trying to cheat them and write reviews BEFORE making contact?

However, I sold about 400 of these freebies and have had no other such reports...

Emma :)

My customer had at my request filed a support ticket to have the commerce team investigate what the problem was -- they contacted him last night (Sat night!) and said that it was a marketplace glitch, and resent the item.

So this the the first confirmation I know of by the commerce team that DD will indeed send out empty folders.  Also, since we do not get any delivery notification for DD, the only way I knew they had most likely redelivered was my rez script.

It has always frustrated me that the commerce team seemed to have NO interest in helping me diagnose these "I did not get it" type support requests -- whether it is "delivered" items that don't show up, or boxes that arrive empty, or now, empty folders. It seems in everyone's interest to determine whether, for example, boxes really can arrive empty or not. I have filed JIRAs about empty boxes and other delivery failures, including this empty folder bug -- and they are pretty much ignored.  It is just not of interest to the commerce team or anyone else -- except of course, buyers and merchants.

• Resident

We have taken a look at the bug and support case submitted on this issue. We were able to touch base with the customer and determine that a No Copy item was rezzed directly from the delivered folder in the Received Items folder, making it appear empty.

We would very much like to make sure this is not happening in unexpected ways, so if additional Merchants/Customers have experienced this, please file a JIRA with details.

Thank you,
The Commerce Team

CommerceTeam Linden wrote:

We have taken a look at the bug and support case submitted on this issue. We were able to touch base with the customer and determine that a No Copy item was rezzed directly from the delivered folder in the Received Items folder, making it appear empty.

We would very much like to make sure this is not happening in unexpected ways, so if additional Merchants/Customers have experienced this,
with details.

Thank you,

The Commerce Team

So the customer didn't know that when one rezzes a No Copy item it disappears from ones inventory.  Wow. 

CommerceTeam Linden wrote:

We would very much like to make sure this is not happening in unexpected ways, so if additional Merchants/Customers have experienced this,
with details.

Thank you,

The Commerce Team

Thank you for the feedback -- it is a matter of significant importance to know what is happening.  This is the same response to the JIRA I filed about this bug.  I asked the customer, who had told me that on his support ticket he was told it was a "MP glitch", about this response, and with his permission I quote him:

"Pamela the item was never in the folder. Soon as I got the delivery I went to my received folder and there was nothing in the folder to rezz."

I am wondering if the customer was told one thing and me another, or what? 

I am the end customer involved in this incident. The original folder delivered EMPTY to my received items folder so there was nothing to rezz in the first place! NOBODY contacted me other than SL Support in response to the ticket I generated over the empty folder. SL Support redelivered the item and the folder had the "box" to rezz in it. Rezzed fine once it was redelivered. I asked the SL Support agent if I had done something wrong and he responded "I'm not sure what happened. I'm guessing it was just a glitch or something. I don't believe you done anything wrong to cause the folder to be empty". 

markr356 wrote:

I am the end customer involved in this incident. The original folder delivered EMPTY to my received items folder so there was nothing to rezz in the first place! NOBODY contacted me other than SL Support in response to the ticket I generated over the empty folder. SL Support redelivered the item and the folder had the "box" to rezz in it. Rezzed fine once it was redelivered. I asked the SL Support agent if I had done something wrong and he responded "I'm not sure what happened. I'm guessing it was just a glitch or something. I don't believe you done anything wrong to cause the folder to be empty". 

I completely apologize about my comment then, Mark.  That the Commerce Team Linden responce was a total lie never occurred to me.  I'm glad you came by the thread to let us know, and I'm sorry about my "The customer didn't know..." comment.

There's certainly something wrong with it as I have an account where I've been keeping the stuff in the received items folder thinking that it's safer than the inventory, yet the other week I went into the account and found the folder completely empty.  My happiness obviously wasn't high..

The next time I went back in everything was back but I didn't check the contents of each folder as I just didn't want to face it.

This comment in the response to Pamela puzzles me:

"We were able to touch base with the customer and determine that a No Copy item was rezzed directly from the delivered folder in the Received Items folder, making it appear empty."

I was under the impression that No Copy items cannot yet be sent using DD so unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible) why would a No Copy item even be in the Received items folder?  I suppose a NC item could be moved to the Received items folder for some reason but the wording in the above sentence sounds like it is saying a No Copy item was in the delivered folder in the Received Items folder.

To those following this thread I have now received a comment on my original ticket for this issue from SL that says their records indicate I tried to rezz the box and something happened to it "in world" that caused it not to rezz and thus show the folder as empty? Tough for me to rezz something when there was nothing to rezz in the folder in the first place! Makes no sense to me unless I am missing something. To clarify one thing from my end is the empty folder was in my received items folder. I am not sure what is going on but I am 100% sure the folder was empty upon initial delivery.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

"We were able to touch base with the customer and determine that a No Copy item was rezzed directly from the delivered folder in the Received Items folder, making it appear empty."

I was under the impression that No Copy items cannot yet be sent using DD so unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible) why would a No Copy item even be in the Received items folder?  I suppose a NC item could be moved to the Received items folder for some reason but the wording in the above sentence sounds like it is saying a No Copy item was in the delivered folder in the Received Items folder.

In that comment No Copy means No Copy to the next owner, ie, the buyer. The No Copy items which DD cannot handle yet are those the current owner, ie. the seller doesn't have copy permissions to (like breedable, used item and such).

markr356 wrote:

To those following this thread I have now received a comment on my original ticket for this issue from SL that says their records indicate I tried to rezz the box and something happened to it "in world" that caused it not to rezz and thus show the folder as empty? Tough for me to rezz something when there was nothing to rezz in the folder in the first place! Makes no sense to me unless I am missing something. To clarify one thing from my end is the empty folder was in my received items folder. I am not sure what is going on but I am 100% sure the folder was empty upon initial delivery.

Okay so they are saying they did not actually "touch base" with you as they said, but looked at records. I did not know they had such records. And the record says you rezzed something that you are quite sure you never laid eyes on. Interesting.

Pamela Galli wrote:

markr356 wrote:

Okay so they are saying they did not actually "touch base" with you as they said, but looked at records. I did not know they had such records. And the record says you rezzed something that you are quite sure you never laid eyes on. Interesting.

I don't normally use CAP LOCK  but:

"CAN ANYONE THINK OF ANY REASON IF LINDEN LAB HAS THIS KIND OF DETAILED INFORMATION STORED REGARDING OUR IN WORLD ACTIVITIES WHY THEY WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO RESTORE RECENTLY LOST NO COPY ITEMS?"

Ry0ta Exonar wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

In that comment No Copy means No Copy to the next owner, ie, the buyer. The No Copy items which DD cannot handle yet are those the current owner, ie. the seller doesn't have copy permissions to (like breedable, used item and such).

Ahhh, ok. Thanks Ryota. :)

Perrie Juran wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

markr356 wrote:

I don't normally use CAP LOCK  but:

"CAN ANYONE THINK OF ANY REASON IF LINDEN LAB HAS THIS KIND OF DETAILED INFORMATION STORED REGARDING OUR IN WORLD ACTIVITIES WHY THEY WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO RESTORE RECENTLY LOST NO COPY ITEMS?" 

("shouting totally understandable .. and supported)

Only one reason that comes to mind .. the excuse was total BS. But that's just a theory.

I've never had this happen to me but i have had things omited from the folders. For instance, for almost 2 months the notecards in my product folders were not passed to the customer which was a huge problem for me because nobody knew how to use the product. LL could not figure out what was going wrong because they could not recreate the problem. If certain items can be omited in error from a folder, i can see anything happening, even empty folders

If this process were applied to RL we'd have enormously reduced shipping costs by sending empty boxes, utility bill envelopes with no bills in them and pizza deliveries with no pizza. Disruptive technology will save the planet.

To the folks with the commerce team t-shirts: It appears you may need a product checksum of sorts in your planned delivery receipts or your verification process.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.